Small things matter

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
richbee

Re: Small things matter

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:01 pm DB & a career has its own trajectory. Doesn't stop a SIPP being opened if you can. Gives a second viewpoint to the DB performance.

I played with my pension funds from about 24yrs old. Cut my teeth on it so to speak. I can remember guys discussing whether to stick with the minimum percentage or go up. The company matched the increase. I sat there listening to guys justifying reasons to leave a 4% wage rise on the table.

Not putting that out there as a brag, just to underline how different people see a situation in different ways.

These books along with pension magic can make a big difference. Game changers tbh. Really raised my awareness of the pension playing field and the avenues I could open for myself (& SWMBO).

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/13838197

https://www.wob.com/en-gb/books/thomas- ... R001405088
I wish I'd cottoned on a lot earlier - I just paid into the dB pension until they closed it & transferred to a dc version.
Lost a chunk through divorce & then realised what I needed to do, currently paying 25% into mine to maximise tax benefits & grow the pot
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:18 pm The 4% rule can be looked at a couple of ways. Live off the 4% or live off the 4% + a set depletion rate on the principal. It is a handy way to see how near or far an individual is but its only a focus tool.

That pension magic book made a huge difference to me. It paid for itself before i'd finished the first chapter and it went on to save me huge sums. The main thing was really getting a fix on what a FA is and then from there looking at the multiple AMC's chopped up and disguised with other 3 letter acronyms or as in the old days full on front loaded funds up to 5%. Absolutely mental but where do we think the FA will steer us?

My best was sitting on a hotel bed in Macau Brazil reading that book cover to cover then reading it again with notepad. I went offshore, did my trip, came home and ripped all my pensions away from the providers and SIPP'd the lot. I then had a refining process where i split into two SIPP's but that is another story.

the AMC thing niggled at me so when I got back I looked up all my funds and that in itself took a bit of doing. 'They' dont want you to be doing this, 'they' want you to sit still and take the reduced return while they take a whack off the top. Anyway, my worst offender was a BRIC nation fund with i think Standard life. It was charging me 2.75%, makes me want to puke even now thinking of that.

Lets say i've got £100k in it . Before I turn a coin they'll take £2,750 in fees from me. If I run the same money in Vanguard S&P 500 ETF with 0.04% AMC, I will pay £40 in fees. Imagine the compounding effects of that over a decade or multiple decades for the younger fella's?

This is worth a look.
https://engaging-data.com/visualizing-4-rule/
FA - financial advisor?
AMC - annual management charge?

It's a minefield - I've just been talking a financial advisor, waiting for him to come back with recommendations to see if I feel like paying ? %
It does feel like you wouldn't need to work at all if you could really get a handle on the money markets & investments
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:18 pm The 4% rule can be looked at a couple of ways. Live off the 4% or live off the 4% + a set depletion rate on the principal. It is a handy way to see how near or far an individual is but its only a focus tool.

That pension magic book made a huge difference to me. It paid for itself before i'd finished the first chapter and it went on to save me huge sums. The main thing was really getting a fix on what a FA is and then from there looking at the multiple AMC's chopped up and disguised with other 3 letter acronyms or as in the old days full on front loaded funds up to 5%. Absolutely mental but where do we think the FA will steer us?

My best was sitting on a hotel bed in Macau Brazil reading that book cover to cover then reading it again with notepad. I went offshore, did my trip, came home and ripped all my pensions away from the providers and SIPP'd the lot. I then had a refining process where i split into two SIPP's but that is another story.

the AMC thing niggled at me so when I got back I looked up all my funds and that in itself took a bit of doing. 'They' dont want you to be doing this, 'they' want you to sit still and take the reduced return while they take a whack off the top. Anyway, my worst offender was a BRIC nation fund with i think Standard life. It was charging me 2.75%, makes me want to puke even now thinking of that.

Lets say i've got £100k in it . Before I turn a coin they'll take £2,750 in fees from me. If I run the same money in Vanguard S&P 500 ETF with 0.04% AMC, I will pay £40 in fees. Imagine the compounding effects of that over a decade or multiple decades for the younger fella's?

This is worth a look.
https://engaging-data.com/visualizing-4-rule/
FA - financial advisor?
AMC - annual management charge?

It's a minefield - I've just been talking a financial advisor, waiting for him to come back with recommendations to see if I feel like paying ? %
It does feel like you wouldn't need to work at all if you could really get a handle on the money markets & investments
Yes to both. I wouldn't let an FA clean my shoes let alone handle my money. It's not that difficult. The industry does try to overcomplicate and obscure the playing field. John Bogle says it very well in the clash of the cultures.

Bear in mind that the FA has a fiduciary responsibility to act on your best interests, not his own. How do you prove that though? Therein lies the crux. Although investing in broad, low churn, low AMC, index tracking funds can get you a long way down the road to financial freedom.

Churn is a particularly loathsome little trick to look out for.

I have met a few FA'S and the first one I was introduced to by a friend sat there behind a big desk on Queens Road Aberdeen. I'm 24, he's speaking about doing this with money, that with money, move this here, that there, tax rights offs. I'm looking at him thinking 'shite'. I shook his hands said thanks, i'll be in touch. Never went back.

Years later I'm doing properties, another FA does the hoops spiel in front of me. This time though i'm aware and knowledgeable enough to know that both their stories only make sense when looked at from a fee generation perspective. My accountant did the same when I got him to track down and pull a few old small pension pots together. I knew exactly what he was doing, I let him have 1 year fees then moved the lot to a SIPP.

Just be aware, often the financial products they'll present benefit them equally if not more. Either way, you lose out.

On the other hand,
These guys.
https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:25 am
Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:21 am
Fintray wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:17 am Don't have to worry about making sure the internal doors are closed as it's a nice even temperature throughout the house (bedroom radiator is off as like a cool bedroom).
Astonishing! Can I ask how many kWhs through an average 24hrs cycle as we are with about 7deg airtemp?
Go here https://heatpumpmonitor.org/ change the Min Days to zero (top right) and scroll down till you find Aberdeenshire and you can see the results so far.
Iain, can I ask what the real world load is that you see demanded by the HP? I am mulling it over and I'm tilting towards a yes for ourselves at some point but we've got that 3.6 to 3.8kW discharge rare restriction at the moment. I'm pretty sure the unit in Turkey pulls 500W according to its nameplate but that's a small unit and im just going on memory. Any help appreciated!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Hi Joe,

During last night at 4.7C it was giving out 5.5kW of heat for an electrical load of 1180W, just now at 12.5C it was giving out 6.3kW of heat for an electrical load of 929W.
When heating the HWC it can go up to an electrical load of 3.6kW with a COP of only 1.3 though the flow temperature is 77C.
If you look at the link https://heatpumpmonitor.org/ and find my heat pump you can click and drag on the graphs to zoom right in for more details.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:13 pm Hi Joe,

During last night at 4.7C it was giving out 5.5kW of heat for an electrical load of 1180W, just now at 12.5C it was giving out 6.3kW of heat for an electrical load of 929W.
When heating the HWC it can go up to an electrical load of 3.6kW with a COP of only 1.3 though the flow temperature is 77C.
If you look at the link https://heatpumpmonitor.org/ and find my heat pump you can click and drag on the graphs to zoom right in for more details.
That is mind bending to the uninitiated on air heating. Leave the HWC to nights. I will get a handle on the graphs. I don't want to dive right in yet as I'll then commit.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

It may be better to heat the HWC during the day when generally the air temperature is higher so less of a strain on the heat pump.

You need to consider carefully whether a heat pump is best for you based on the potential disruption if you need larger pipework to your radiators, larger radiators, etc though the grant does help ease the pain. :D
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:35 pm It may be better to heat the HWC during the day when generally the air temperature is higher so less of a strain on the heat pump.

You need to consider carefully whether a heat pump is best for you based on the potential disruption if you need larger pipework to your radiators, larger radiators, etc though the grant does help ease the pain. :D
That's great advice, cheers! We are 13mm pipe off of a spine of 22mm, no microbore and the one room that needed upgraded back in the day has a triple rad in it. Damn, I just watched a TV show where the HP was groundlevel with pipes running up side of house in an assimed insulated conduit. Another hurdle passed. Our HWC is up in the loft. :facepalm:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

You might well be ok with that pipe size as long as there is plenty of flow through the heat pump (ours runs at around 2000l/hr). Our pipes go up the side of the house to line up with the upstairs floor joists.
The radiators that we haven't changed yet are still on 8mm microbore pipe.

Have a look at this guys videos, he shows all the problems you can get and shows lots of good practice to get the best from a heat pump.
https://www.youtube.com/@UrbanPlumbers/videos
Last edited by Fintray on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3.87kWp PV
Tesla Powerwall 2
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 pm You might well be ok with that pipe size as long as there is plenty of flow through the heat pump (ours runs at around 2000l/hr). Out pipes go up the side of the house to line up with the upstairs floor joists.
The radiators that we haven't changed yet are still on 8mm microbore pipe.
Thanks for that. Great to hear realworld advice. SWMBO is cancelling the maintenance contract on the boiler next month. We are putting a inverurie 1 bed semi detached bungalow up for sale which has a gch contract with the same company. Seems a reasonable time of induced synchronisity. Get them both off the books and see if we ever use the gch again. The siren song of that cop multiplier though. It calls! :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs