Eucalyptus

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Lancelot

Eucalyptus

Post by Lancelot »

We have had a Eucalyptus that was far too big to be within the 5m distance it was from the house (and the neighbour's) so it has reluctantly come down today. At least I can sleep on stormy nights again.

We will be storing for a year or two before putting to good use in our fires and stove.

Everyone has told me to split this when green, and an hour with the splitting maul was a delight - straight grained, no knots, it more or less fell apart on its own. About 1/4 done - the rest I will do tomorrow.

Now I just need to find space for a proper wood store and to build one.

spread-tee

Re: Eucalyptus

Post by spread-tee »

Cool, I burned a load of Eucalyptus a few years ago, it was a bit slow to dry but it burned lovely and lasted well in the stove. Some of the logs from the trunk were 35cm plus in diameter but according to the rings it was only twenty five years old, which probably explains why I get quite a bit of it from my tree surgeon fella. I have a big massive willow dropped off last week, the sap really stinks horrible, hope it dont stink that bad in the stove :?:

Sped
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Re: Eucalyptus

Post by Joeboy »

Being in year one of woodstovery I've been quite surprised at the differing personality as we split different woods. Same with burn rates and general variance within the stove environment. Mr Gus did an excellent write up on it last year when I first bought the stove.

I don't think he made it through the portal? Which is a shame. :(

I do a bit of coppicing and have a few other sources of legit haz trees. I am hoping to have around 3 years worth of split logs by the time snow flies again. Pallet wood stores are easy enough to throw together?

I've not burned willow.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees