Back boilers banned?

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
CharlieB

Back boilers banned?

Post by CharlieB »

Hi folks.
Someone suggested to me just now that back boilers on stoves have been banned since 2022. I hadn't heard anything and find it hard to believe. Does anyone know anything? (We're in Scotland for what it's worth, but I'd be surprised if there was a special reg here.)

Charlie
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
openspaceman

Re: Back boilers banned?

Post by openspaceman »

I thought it was that the previous set of stoves with back boilers could not meet the eco design standard so could no longer be sold.

There is no reason why a stove with a water heater cannot make the standard but it would need to be away from the actual combustion chamber. The reason being that the cold surface of the water boiler quenches the flames and this leads to incomplete combustion. hence more smoke and particulates.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Morning CharlieB

From the little bit that I had read before all new stoves have to comply with the governments Eco-design standard to address the pollutants and particulate that arise from burning wood and solid fuel.

There was a period where the details around the requirements were vague and in places contradictory (fancy that ....a government regulation thats both vague AND contradictory, thats not something you see very often :shock: is it :lol: ) anyway during that period the stove manufacturers apparently didn't manufacture many boiler stoves while they awaited clarification. I lost interest at that point and never followed the issue further but a quick look online at the minute indicates boiler stoves are for sale and therefore I presume they are compliant with the requirements of the Eco design standards.

So old boilers already fitted would not be affected by the regulations which were not retrospective and if you are buying a new boiler today then it will need to be compliant with the regulations which I take to mean that if its in the shop and available to purchase its probably ok but in the best tradition of covering your own backside, ask for the confirmation that its complaint with the regs in writing before you buy so that you are protected.

Moxi
Ken

Post by Ken »

openspaceman wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:37 am I thought it was that the previous set of stoves with back boilers could not meet the eco design standard so could no longer be sold.

There is no reason why a stove with a water heater cannot make the standard but it would need to be away from the actual combustion chamber. The reason being that the cold surface of the water boiler quenches the flames and this leads to incomplete combustion. hence more smoke and particulates.
Spot on. In terms of efficiency its a terrible idea. You need to run stoves as hot as you can which is not possible with a back boiler. Also you need air ingress to feed the boiler which is there 24/7. Fit PV or a HP
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Thanks all. This makes perfect sense. Finding a plumber/installer to fit it is going to be a major challenge but I'm glad to hear they still exist.

This is for a small farm cottage. It's currently got an open fire with a boiler. Stove can't but be an improvement. And I'm pretty sure the particular employee who's going to live there would prefer stove with back boiler to a heat pump as he can get logs for free.
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Moxi wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:45 am Morning CharlieB

From the little bit that I had read before all new stoves have to comply with the governments Eco-design standard to address the pollutants and particulate that arise from burning wood and solid fuel.

There was a period where the details around the requirements were vague and in places contradictory (fancy that ....a government regulation thats both vague AND contradictory, thats not something you see very often :shock: is it :lol: ) anyway during that period the stove manufacturers apparently didn't manufacture many boiler stoves while they awaited clarification. I lost interest at that point and never followed the issue further but a quick look online at the minute indicates boiler stoves are for sale and therefore I presume they are compliant with the requirements of the Eco design standards.

So old boilers already fitted would not be affected by the regulations which were not retrospective and if you are buying a new boiler today then it will need to be compliant with the regulations which I take to mean that if its in the shop and available to purchase its probably ok but in the best tradition of covering your own backside, ask for the confirmation that its complaint with the regs in writing before you buy so that you are protected.

Moxi
Yep, this is what seems to have happened with all Charnwood boiler stoves. And they don't seem to have bothered designing a new one. Yet anyway. Also Clearview seemed to have just given up and not bothered with ecodesign at all..? https://www.clearviewstoves.com/eco-design

Anyone know of a good manufacturer who has brought out a small-mid sized stove with boiler?
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

Built like a brick shit house.

https://dowlingstoves.com/
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

just do a google search for eco design approved boiler stove and you should get quite a few options, eg https://www.directstoves.com/stoves/eco ... toves.html

no affiliation to that site but they have Esse and other brands I recognise.

Moxi