Eco Angus Orligno Stoves

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Sunrisemike

Eco Angus Orligno Stoves

Post by Sunrisemike »

I had one of these installed in 2012. It is a basic wood gasification stove that heats water into a 2000 litre aqua storage tank. It is situated 30 meters from the Victorian draughty house, connected by insulated pipes buried underground. It's not been all plain sailing, but over the years I have become accustomed to it's idiosyncrasies and have managed to overcome it's infrequent hiccups. I have replied to a number of posts in another forum with people with questions and problems. I will endeavour to help anyone with similar problems here.
I supply my own logs (unlimited fallen trees near by) and need to cut up 12 tons a year... :o
My last RHI payment is due shortly, seven years of payment has more than covered the cost of installation, repairs, a replacement storage tank and petrol for the saw.

I will give an account of my experiences, bit by bit....
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Stinsy

Re: Eco Angus Orligno Stoves

Post by Stinsy »

Have a look at the modern battery chainsaws. The technology has moved on and they’re astonishingly powerful (particularly the ones that take 2x 18v batteries) and avoid the 2-stroke pollution nightmare.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I can put forward a vote for the cordless electric chainsaw as a brilliant tool.

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-pow ... lsrc=aw.ds

We've been running this one since end of last year. It felled and processed up to about a 12" dia with bit in ingenuity, up to 8" didn't even have to think about it. Absolutely felt like a toy when box first opened but that was deceiving. Really good chain. I'm still on the first and sharpen every few charges. We've processed a LOT of logs with it. (Maybe 8 mtr cube).

We were both so impressed that we as needed expanded the Einhell tooling. We now have in addition a hand drill, a 5" grinder and an extendable multitool for gardening with the hedge trimmer and mini chainsaw attachments. One charger at front of house in garage and one down the bottom of garden in the workshop and a few batteries. The drill doesn't have quite the level of control of the Dewalt's at the trigger but for the price difference i'm more than ok with that. After using corded grinders my working life I was really surprised at the performance on the battery unit. It will trip if I forget and try to use it as I would a corded unit but if I remember it can get all the jobs done. Biggest so far was cutting through 2" dia hollow steel tubulars about a 3mm wall thickness.

The battery saw coupled with the solar driven log splitter makes quite the combo. :D

Maybe next year i'll have a look at battery lawn mower, currently run a Hyundai 4 stroke. :(

I look forward to reading on the Eco Angus, I love the idea of a heated storage tank tied back into the house.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

As you allude to: these days you are buying into a "system" rather than a "tool". The cost is mostly in the batteries, once they're paid for with the first tool you buy, the cost of a grinder/impact driver/hedge cutter, lawnmower, etc to expand your system is tiny in comparison.

I have a selection of Makita batteries and a whole load of tools to go with them, buying an incompatible tool wouldn't make sense. I've heard good things about Milwaukee and I'm sure other brands are good too. However it can seem expensive if you're just buying one tool and the batteries that go with it.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

I can't see a battery operated chain saw cutting my planks... :D

Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Now, THAT is a very cool tool. Any details on it? :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

It's a stihl 36" cutter with a "G778-36 36″ Alaskan Mill Mk IV". I've planked up about 8 fallen trees over the years. It was very hard work, until they came up with a trailer winch with a long line, that loops round a pulley at the far end of the log. Now, I just slowly wind the handle, and hey presto, about £100 worth of oak plank !!
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That is excellent, producing your own timber especially with rocketing prices as they are. I'm a huge fan of the big Alaskan portable sawmills. Love it when they make it look so simple on the box. Just clear these dead trees to be safe, turn em into lumber. Voila caulked cabin beside a stream! :roll:

I'm sure it's not quite like that though.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

First light up is always tricky, the laddomat takes a while to wake up. I seem to get air trapped in the circulation round the stove and nothing seems to shift it. I've taken the thermostat out to get direct circulation into the thermal store. Once the tank is fully up to temperature, I'll try with the thermostat back in! Trials and tribulations. Year 9. I think the RHI expires about now... :(

Mike
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...