can i use one of the WBSs I already have? or should i get a small one

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Marcus

Re: can i use one of the WBSs I already have? or should i get a small one

Post by Marcus »

Yes, new build airtightness is an issue - I was hoping to have the stove in a near central position but neither of the stoves I have are designed as roomsealed anyway. Ultimately I was hoping to install an ASHP and MVHR - I believe the latter can be made to induce +ve pressure - although I wonder if one has to pay through the nose for that feature? ( or I could do a DIY mod to make it push more than pull - how hard could it be?)
Oh, and I have a cat - but have not yet worked out where to put the catflap, let alone make it airtight - so perhaps ventilation will be maintained by the cat anyway :D , and as I do live in the clouds up in west Wales with 3 dogs and the cat (try explaining to a dog the merits of shaking OUTSIDE!), I too may need to maintain a high level of ventilation even in a dry new-build.

Getting it signed off may be another issue, but at the rate my build is going it may be 10years before I get to the point where it matters, so am considering self installing for now and reconsidering my options at the time of sign-off, but even with an ASHP I'm tempted to have a WBS 'cos it'll work even when the HP / electric goes belly up , and with a 30acre smallholding I do have a lot of fuel just from hedge maintenance.

I was given the dovre as both I and the chap who gave it to me assumed it was 'smaller' than the esse, in kW not just physical size, but I sort of prefer the esse anyway even though it'll take up a lot of space, and for some reason I have more confidence that I can reduce the firebox of the esse and keep it working.

Hi Ken - glad to hear the immersun is still working - I had wondered :)

I do have about 10 old storage heaters and the bricks from a few more, so yes, I was indeed thinking of installing them somehow - I've been watching Joeboys experiments with interest.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I saw on a tv program the other day that they do make cat flaps for passive houses but they are over £1000!!
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stan

Post by Stan »

Just watched a video about the Petwalk dog flap which looks the part. It identifies the dog and smoothly opens the door. The dog walks in and then the door remains open for what seems an age before an alarm rings and the door closes smoothly to be airtight. I’ll stick with Staywell.
I can see that fitting it into a dg or tg door won’t come cheap.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I think for £1000 I'll make my own! Or just keep getting up to open the door for her (the cat).
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No mention of insulating property of the door material, lets face it also a relevant factor, presumably its a bit of dyson riot shield type plastic & not much else? (giving it the perceived toughness mentioned)

Wonder if the company touting this demonstrate via a thermal heat camera as to efficiency (or otherwise)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

marshman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:43 pm So you have to ask yourself is it worth the effort?? - I used to spend so much time gathering, chopping/cutting, storing and bringing in the wood, I don't miss it at all. We do still have a stove (no boiler) but it is more for effect than anything else.
Roger
It does make you wonder, especially as Covid has knaxxxxd my abilities.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW