Carcinogen output of WBS.

Wood stoves, pellets and other bio-fuels
Moxi

Re: Carcinogen output of WBS.

Post by Moxi »

Mart,

I have chronic asthma but we run a WBS most days through the colder shoulder months and winter and I am the one charging it up and maintaining the burn without detrimental effect to my asthma. Your sister will know her triggers just as I know mine (very hot cooking oil fumes and hazes, barbecue smoke to name two of the more dangerous ones for me).

As long as your sister is sure that WBS type of smoke doesn't trigger a reaction then she should be fine, theres always a chance that a certain type of wood may trigger a reaction but in those circumstances keeping the stove closed and leaving the room for cooler cleaner air should be sufficient to alleviate her symptoms, as with everything theres a period of familiarisation and learning to be done.

I would say since I moved from newer housing stock with GCH and moved to an older cooler dusty cottage my asthma has improved no end so I agree with the idea that some exposure to triggers can be helpful in the long term.

I would say go for it but have a plan in place for your sister just in case of symptoms as they often occur at the most unexpected time and its not always obvious what the trigger is eg on a new wood stove the curing of the stove paint can be an irritant.

One things for sure I wouldn't be without my WBS.

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

Thanks Moxi, and everyone for the balanced points raised. The WBS seems like a great solution to any problems, or just the possibility of a problem with the ASHP. It's a large property, about 6 bedrooms, but almost half will be for her business. And to go from 2 oil boilers to one, and then an ASHP, is a great move*, and also complemented by the addition of 3phase leccy and just over 10kWp of PV, which should run, or at least significantly contribute to the heating from Mch through October.

*Proves the mantra that the first step is insulate, insulate, insulate.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Mart wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:07 am Thanks Moxi, and everyone for the balanced points raised. The WBS seems like a great solution to any problems, or just the possibility of a problem with the ASHP. It's a large property, about 6 bedrooms, but almost half will be for her business. And to go from 2 oil boilers to one, and then an ASHP, is a great move*, and also complemented by the addition of 3phase leccy and just over 10kWp of PV, which should run, or at least significantly contribute to the heating from Mch through October.

*Proves the mantra that the first step is insulate, insulate, insulate.
Mart, Ecofan 812 is without a doubt sis's friend. This wee unit,coupled with some active air management negates tumble dryer use. I am quite basic so just run a couple of dehumidifiers. There is no power use in the drying and the dehumid runs at 26W to 250W. A wonderful reduction in comparison to a tumble dryer.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

But my question, is it safer to take the cigarette out of my mouth when opening the stove door ?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Alfie wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:04 pm But my question, is it safer to take the cigarette out of my mouth when opening the stove door ?
Filter tipped? If so, it depends whether it was one of those advertised as especially good because the filter was made of blue asbestos!
See and marvel...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Mart, Wife caught a really severe (Emergency Room) pneumonia one year in Canada & had a few bouts of the bad stuff since, which causes lung stress, the WBS has never been a problem to her as it is burnt efficiently.

I will link again the unit I use for basic indication as a visual aid.

NB I took it down the pub, which was burning cleanly & also had low pollutant markers which was a good thing obviously.
When the WBS isn't on the background level hardly shifts.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 4c4d1wZ4oa

(I wish tesla has this within the cockpit, we'd likely concern ourselves about what our motoring environment inflicts upon others)
(it also galls me the TM3 doesn't have bio weapon filtration status.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

Many thanks Gus.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No problem mart, mine was uk based stock (a few months back) so it was with me within 5 days.
As i'm sure i've said before, these if fitted in bathrooms & bedrooms where the general public dabs, squirts, sprays, slathers all sorts of chemical soup would scare the hell out of themselves IF they were thinking straight, ..effectively the room can become a heavily toxified zone for the duration a family may wish to use the bathroom (for instance) in the morning rush ..but you never see papers bang on about that (may affect advertisers)

These are easy to forget that they are on, the model I link to has about enough battery to monitor for around 4 hours, so a powerbank may be useful if you want to glance at it over the course of a day doing stuff with paint cans / cleaning a car, bbq, kitchen clean up etc to really get a good over view of air quality, & why "well ventilated" ((or find a better product)) is cited.

This isn't a strictly scientific device, its a home use indicator like many others, but does offer good insight.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:13 pm Another observation -

https://www.hetas.co.uk/scientists-revi ... ng-stoves/
Hooray, another blinkers off statement that WBS don't do this on their own.

"Now we must turn our attention to other domestic burning sources such as barbecues, smokers, fire pits, chimeneas, garden incinerators and bonfires. The rise in sales of cheap outdoor burners from discount supermarkets is a major threat to air quality"

Shame they didn't mention pizza ovens, the guardian loves to extoll the virtues of wood-fired pizza :lol:
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS