Trailcams, what ye seen?

Moxi

Re: Trailcams, what ye seen?

Post by Moxi »

Hi John,

Different foxes react to different things BUT, generally stockings with human hair, unwashed sweaty clothes all left in the area will deter a fox in dry weather as they smell a fresh human which unsettles them. Obviously the first time it rains those scent loads need changing. Otherwise other "stink pots" such as a jar or can with tar or creosote in them make the area heavily drenched in the pungent odour so they cannot sense other creatures near by makes them jumpy and less likely to hang around. I have heard Garlic and strong onion odours can put them off too but I have no experience of that.

I'm lucky as I have 4 dogs so I let the dogs urinate around the chicken runs whenever I pick up on a fox being in the area, again the fox picks up on the regular "traffic" smells of humans and predators and tends to clear off to other areas.

Other option would be some battery operated PIR lights as long as its not going to bother neighbours (if you have any) be prepared to move these lights around regular though otherwise the fox can get used to it and become desensitised.

If you have the time and the means the best ever deterrent is a pair of wellies a pair of old overalls or similar clothes, a cheap or old media player and a ball - you can can see where this is going but OMG does it work! Build a guy fawkes style dummy using the clothes wellies and ball, then on the media player record throat clearing, coughs, etc at random times over an hour and then put that on loop play and pop it inside the dummy, smear something smelly on the wellies as an added extra and set it out at dusk and leave it to do its business, move it to a new position and posture each night until the fox sign stops, then store it in the shed for next time- usefully you can use it as someone to talk to when working in said shed!

Moxi
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

John_S wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:31 pm
Moxi
Could you please let me know what works best for keeping foxes away. I am trying to keep them out of my garden but they can even climb over a 6ft fence.

Thanks

John
When we kept commercial free range hens the only answer was a 12 bore with heavy load cartridges. These days they are still around in daylight but I've not had need to open the gun cabinet yet. T'other morning our dogs were going nuts and when I got up there was a fox outside of the patio door eating under the bird table, I had to open the door to scare the B thing off.

Just read Maxi's post and would suggest Renardine if it's still available. DON'T get it on your hand or clothes, if does what it says on the tin. 50 years ago whilst shepherding we put it on the backs of lambs to deter the foxes. Mr Goog tells me it's been banned but suggests Scoot as an alternative.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thebeeman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:09 pm
John_S wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:31 pm
Moxi
Could you please let me know what works best for keeping foxes away. I am trying to keep them out of my garden but they can even climb over a 6ft fence.

Thanks

John
When we kept commercial free range hens the only answer was a 12 bore with heavy load cartridges. These days they are still around in daylight but I've not had need to open the gun cabinet yet. T'other morning our dogs were going nuts and when I got up there was a fox outside of the patio door eating under the bird table, I had to open the door to scare the B thing off.

Just read Maxi's post and would suggest Renardine if it's still available. DON'T get it on your hand or clothes, if does what it says on the tin. 50 years ago whilst shepherding we put it on the backs of lambs to deter the foxes. Mr Goog tells me it's been banned but suggests Scoot as an alternative.

I suppose its a question of what's in John S' garden that might be attracting them as to how persuasive he has to get - I only have 6 birds at a time so although its enough to tempt an inquisitive fox there's not much reward for their persistence - I could imagine it being a whole different ball game with the commercial numbers you spoke of though :D

Moxi
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

We had 10,000 hens but eventually we got a fence system that worked, most of the time. in the end we lost more to buzzards and ravens, both protected, so we had to live with it.

We wound up with a fox proof netting and 2 strands of electric wire on the top to stop the b's climbing over. Mains powered fencer so we didn't touch it by accident very often.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

badger.png
badger.png (310.29 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
John_S

Post by John_S »

Thanks for all the helpful ideas/comments. I shall give them a try, progressing from the cheapest to the most expensive.

It is just a London urban garden but some foxes seem to have made it their home.