Trailcams, what ye seen?

Joeboy

Trailcams, what ye seen?

Post by Joeboy »

Just started a couple of weeks ago with a trailcam. Many many bits of footage with birds and cats and 3 excellent (one at night) with Bold the Hedgehog.

We have Hoghouse 1 I built a few years ago although it has been colonised by bumble bees last two years so leaving it alone. Instead I built Hogtel California yesterday and laid out some water and food.

Nothing last night but not expected as it will smell weird for a while. AA rechargables powering the trailcam and I'll check every couple of days, fingers crossed! :D

What have you guys seen?

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Re: Trailcams, what ye seen?

Post by Moxi »

My trail cam generally only gets set out when I suspect we have scalies (Rats) or signs of Fox activity worrying the hen pen, it gives me the timings and habits so I can set up with the rifle for the Rats and put out scent bombs for the Fox to dissuade them both. This year thus far no more rats (I did kill over thirty last year) and no trace of fox although that could be because the Farmer down the hill was out with his shot gun in April on a few nights. It was a bit like being in the trenches for a time.

Without the trail CAM this year I have spotted rabbits, weasels, a stoat, sand lizards, adders, insects galore including some of the larger UK beetles, buzzards, kites, our resident visiting cuckoo, amongst the more common birds, we have a local gang of gold finches that visit and the swallows and house martins are back for their annual visit.

In autumn we get the occasional visit from a hog which makes me really happy as they have been a life long favourite.

I don't see them but I know the mice are happy around the hen feed bins in the store - but they are welcome to the odd spillage and in hard times the intentional spillage (just to help them out).

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That's a lot of species! I see badgers and red deer when I'm out and about. Grass cut this morning and gave Bold his first home upgrade. I am hoping it will become a hibernation place.

Blends in well. :)
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

What kind of cam did you go for?
I've been looking at getting one for a bit of fun, seeing what is around at night - I'm not after spending a fortune - amazon has infinite versions from about £30 upwards, difficult to know where a few quid extra will make a difference
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:08 am What kind of cam did you go for?
I've been looking at getting one for a bit of fun, seeing what is around at night - I'm not after spending a fortune - amazon has infinite versions from about £30 upwards, difficult to know where a few quid extra will make a difference
A ceymour CY50 plus 8 rechargeable Amazon basic AA's and an SD card. It chews batteries, 5 days worth set at 10 secs. I get about 70 videos (need a new name).
About £80 complete i think? Excellent low light images. The pink above seems to have been a one off. Must have just been the right time and he was heading off shift. :)

Just found it at this price!
https://uk.apeoutdoor.com/products/20mp ... PsQAvD_BwE
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:13 am
richbee wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:08 am What kind of cam did you go for?
A ceymour CY50 plus 8 rechargeable Amazon basic AA's and an SD card. It chews batteries, 5 days worth set at 10 secs. I get about 70 videos (need a new name).
About £80 complete i think? Excellent low light images. The pink above seems to have been a one off. Must have just been the right time and he was heading off shift. :)

Just found it at this price!
https://uk.apeoutdoor.com/products/20mp ... PsQAvD_BwE
Thanks - I'll have a look at that 8-) .
I have a box full of Ikea rechargeable batteries I bought for my Tado heating controls, so I can use those
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Think trail cams are superb bits of kit, though we always end up putting it in the wrong place - doh !

We know we have Badgers cos we see them and the evidence of their visit. Never managed to positively catch one on the trail cam, though I’ve seen them many times.

Now we’ve retired and spend time in the garden, it’s surprising, when you take time to observe, what goes on.

This has influenced how we deal with ‘weeds’ - we had loads of Alkanet when we moved into the house, which we were all ready to remove, but noticed it’s a food plant for Scarlet Tiger Moth caterpillars.

We now have a nice colony - they appeared yesterday evening for the first time this year.

We also let any Ragwort that self seeds grow - supports loads of Cinnabar Moth caterpillars.

By observing, you get to understand the community that shares your garden with you - we have 200+ frogs returning to their natal pond (which we made 10 yrs ago) every spring.

We have loads of Slow Worm around the garden, frequenting damp shady bits.

SWMBO is sure she saw a Lizard last year, but we haven’t confirmed yet.

Use the trail cam to see what’s going on at night, but also keep observing and understand the role you can play in your little garden ecosystem.

Oh, and we’ve been leaving 75% of the lawn as ‘no now’ for the last 6-7 years. Surprising what grows, and more importantly, how many more insects you see in the garden.

Also reported the first colony of Ivy Mining Bees in South Somerset, that were using the lawn as a colony area.

No Hummingbird Hawkmoth yet this year, but now the lavender is out, can’t be too long.

They really are stars.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:14 pm This has influenced how we deal with ‘weeds’ - we had loads of Alkanet when we moved into the house, which we were all ready to remove, but noticed it’s a food plant for Scarlet Tiger Moth caterpillars.

We now have a nice colony - they appeared yesterday evening for the first time this year.

We also let any Ragwort that self seeds grow - supports loads of Cinnabar Moth caterpillars.

By observing, you get to understand the community that shares your garden with you - we have 200+ frogs returning to their natal pond (which we made 10 yrs ago) every spring.

We have loads of Slow Worm around the garden, frequenting damp shady bits. SWMBO is sure she saw a Lizard last year, but we haven’t confirmed yet.

Use the trail cam to see what’s going on at night, but also keep observing and understand the role you can play in your little garden ecosystem. Oh, and we’ve been leaving 75% of the lawn as ‘no now’ for the last 6-7 years. Surprising what grows, and more importantly, how many more insects you see in the garden.

Also reported the first colony of Ivy Mining Bees in South Somerset, that were using the lawn as a colony area. No Hummingbird Hawkmoth yet this year, but now the lavender is out, can’t be too long.

They really are stars.
Trailcam has been a disappointment.
Our weeds include a few Figwort plants (presumably from birdseed)... which turn out to be alternative hosts for Mullein Moth caterpillars, really dramatic little things.
I would say our Hawkmoths normally arrive when the Valerian is in full flower - which it has been for a few weeks now - but, like you, no sign of them yet.
Also no Parsnip Moth caterpillars this year yet, despite the plants (left in to harvest the seed) flowering for a while now and seed forming.
We get loads of newts all year round, but hardly any frogs and an occasional toad, haven't had any repties apart from a grass snake (as we once found a shed skin about 2ft long by the compost heap.)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
John_S

Post by John_S »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:49 am
My trail cam generally only gets set out when I suspect we have scalies (Rats) or signs of Fox activity worrying the hen pen, it gives me the timings and habits so I can set up with the rifle for the Rats and put out scent bombs for the Fox to dissuade them both. This year thus far no more rats (I did kill over thirty last year) and no trace of fox although that could be because the Farmer down the hill was out with his shot gun in April on a few nights. It was a bit like being in the trenches for a time.
Moxi
Could you please let me know what works best for keeping foxes away. I am trying to keep them out of my garden but they can even climb over a 6ft fence.

Thanks

John
smegal

Post by smegal »

John_S wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:31 pm
Moxi wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:49 am
Moxi
Could you please let me know what works best for keeping foxes away. I am trying to keep them out of my garden but they can even climb over a 6ft fence.

Thanks

John

Try this specific make of ultrasonic scarer.

https://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/products/foxwatch

Failing that, can a local pest controller trap/dispatch them?