Stick insects

Moxi

Stick insects

Post by Moxi »

Just a casual enquiry to see if anyone on the forum keeps stick insects as a hobby ?

My four year old is fascinated by all sorts of insects and I’m going to set him up with a terrarium and Indian stick insects (1 or 2). I’ve read up about food conditions etc and feel like I know the basics but also thought it would be an idea to reach out in case there’s some experience on the forum that could help me further.

Thanks in advance

Moxi
cojmh

Re: Stick insects

Post by cojmh »

Oddly enough we were gifted a full setup with about 16 Indian Stick Insects for my two daughters about 2 weeks ago.

They also lent me a book from the same people who made the enclosure about how to keep them .... seems straight forward and not much to it so far .... I have been told they really do breed well so you could end up with lots of them (the experience of my friend who gifted the setup)

So I am not experienced by any means but happy to help if I can?
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ahh that’s excellent news and thank you - I guess my main question was do the kids find them interesting and do you handle them at all ?

I read that they shed eggs constantly and if they’re not fertilised by a male you get an effective clone of the mother instead.

Do you provide any additional heat and lighting to your set up ?

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Should have said I was going to get the exo terra nano for the enclosure so looking to keep two at the most unless it gets addictive in which case I will also then need a larger terrarium.

Moxi
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

Moxi wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:59 pm Ahh that’s excellent news and thank you - I guess my main question was do the kids find them interesting and do you handle them at all ?

I read that they shed eggs constantly and if they’re not fertilised by a male you get an effective clone of the mother instead.

Do you provide any additional heat and lighting to your set up ?

Moxi
Kids have found them interesting - although whether that is due to novelty factor or not will still have to be seen. They watch them multiple times a day. They have not plucked up the courage to handle them yet - but I was hoping to do that this week with them.

My friend said that they were constantly dropping (and flicking eggs) ..... she reckoned they could flick the eggs out of the mesh sides. So I will have to watch for that one. Suddenly finding stick insects loose in my living room. Apparently her husband said that they would get so many stick insects they would have to release some to the garden (which would not end well for the stick insects) just for population control.

No additional heating or lighting needs at all. Although the book I read does say to keep them in a stable indoor environment (which they will adapt to). Not to keep them too near to windows or in a conservatory etc.

Basically we clean the bottom sheet once a week
Add new Privet leaves once a week
spray the leaves with water once a day

So very minimal investment in time.

The enclosure we were given was this one:

Stick Insect Enclosure

I was chatting to my sister about this too and apparently her partners dad keeps stick insects and I think he has been doing it for quite a long time. I will see if I can get any info from them.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks that would be appreciated as its always good to get real life experience.

That said I think I am going to get the boys involved in them as I say the 4 year old is already a keen collector of creepy crawlies so stick insects would be right up his street.

I read in several places that collecting the eggs and freezing them is the best way to kindly dispose of them and just keep back enough eggs to maintain your population, I went for a walk last night to scan for food plants and happily we have brambles and Hawthorn a plenty and although I hadn't expected to find any up on the mountainside we also have several privet hedges and some ivy too so we seem to have the likely food options available all within a quarter mile.

Just got to hold off buying the terrarium / vivarium / paludarium (take your pick) till after the baby arrives - hopefully in the next 4 weeks - as the boss, quite rightly, may not be so accommodating.

Moxi
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

Moxi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:46 am Thanks that would be appreciated as its always good to get real life experience.

That said I think I am going to get the boys involved in them as I say the 4 year old is already a keen collector of creepy crawlies so stick insects would be right up his street.

I read in several places that collecting the eggs and freezing them is the best way to kindly dispose of them and just keep back enough eggs to maintain your population, I went for a walk last night to scan for food plants and happily we have brambles and Hawthorn a plenty and although I hadn't expected to find any up on the mountainside we also have several privet hedges and some ivy too so we seem to have the likely food options available all within a quarter mile.

Just got to hold off buying the terrarium / vivarium / paludarium (take your pick) till after the baby arrives - hopefully in the next 4 weeks - as the boss, quite rightly, may not be so accommodating.

Moxi
Sounds like you have a plan ....

I agree on the freezing option - I have not decided how to deal with a population burst .... but knowing my luck if I did release any I would find a super colony in the greenhouse eating all my plants!

congratulations on the impending family addition - I know what you mean about following the instructions of the boss ..... In my case it was free and educational for the girls .... otherwise the answer would have been a big NO!

I have always wanted a tortoise ..... but my wife has resisted all of my attempts so far .... but I can live in hope!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Well now that baby Freddie has arrived and having waited until his official due date of the 4th May to avoid any comments form the boss I took the plunge and bought the exo-terra-nano habitat.

I have also been down the lane and taken some privet cuttings to raise my own privet plants for a guaranteed supply - we have lots of bramble too but thats not in leaf in the winter so a bit of extra privet will ensure a food supply on our doorstep.

Next is to get some eggs to hatch :)

The boys are already fascinated by the vivarium and what stick insects are, not bad for 4 and 2 yr olds.

Moxi
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

Good luck with the hatching

My two are still interested in the ones we have ..... turns out they will eat other things too (as I don't have a privet hedge).

My two are not as keen on holding them however.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ooh that’s interesting what do yours like to eat ? Always good to know alternates.

My boys are out every day under rocks and wood in the garden picking up wood lice, millipedes, spiders et etc

Moxi