e-bike battery charging

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
chris_n

Re: e-bike battery charging

Post by chris_n »

billi wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:35 am :D , well am not looking for a range extender , just perhaps for a second battery to take with me on a longer trip like a planned bike holiday
But hard to imagine that i will be in the mood to swap batteries after a 80 km ride to do another 80 :roll: , but might want to stop at locations where no socket is available ....

But needs to be planned arround to find sockets on a longer travel , an second Accu is about 600 Euro thats a lot of B&B and Beergarden money spare for a stop
Lots of mountain huts will let you charge here, we even have a free charging point by the river Inn at Brixleg.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
billi

Post by billi »

Thats true , had not much trouble to find a socket either , sometimes its a bid anoying that those puplic Car chargers have no plug in 230 Volt socket for bikes
Westie

Post by Westie »

I now have 7150 mls on my KTM eMTB battery (Bosch system) and I've never tried to be clever about charging. After a ride it gets plugged in and left until the next time I use it. So far I see no degradation in the max range range which is usually 30miles ish.

There's actually a huge issue here with e-bikes, they keep getting touted as game changing wrt personal mobility but there's no standardised plan for the charging system as there is with EVs which makes for a nightmare if you plan to ride long distances. :roll: You would think they could produce an e-bike charging infrastructure based EV type 2 socket system by incorporating the charger in the e-bike battery pack with voltage step down electronics?
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I agree wholeheartedly Westie, you have to drag a charger along with you of varying size.
Standardisation of charger sockets would mean a new market for solar / regular charging (city commuters going to the station, bike charged at days end being advantageous & reason to leave / ditch a car within the family)

City / town / popular route stop offs (getting councils involved) camp sites ...etc, suddenly a whole new economic revenue stream is possible via lightweight vehicular accessibility (compared to car tourists)

Far too logical to happen though :roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

V glad to see this thread. If it makes you feel better I've been over-thinking this one too ever since I got my battery and front-wheel kit. But also reaching the conclusion not to worry too much.

I charge when it's down to 50% or so on the display (which may or may not mean much). It's pedal assist only so that means about once a week, even though I use it most days.

Pedal assist e bike for me has been an absolute revelation. I've always biked a lot (A-to-B, not lycra) and the horizons have expanded right right out now for where I can get to without either taking ages or arriving horribly sweaty.
11kW Evoco wind turbine
Woodstoves
Small Firewood business
A little bit of solar thermal
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Good to hear you aren't a series pink lycra man (honest, we knew one, thus coined the name)
Anyone looking for normal kit to cycle in I swear by ENDURA NUMBER 2 (3/4 length shorts) come with a clip in sponge inner short liner.

So good I have 3 pairs now, ..seeing as I get older & fatter a good move & often £30 in sales for certain styles (material colours)

Good pockets, venting via zips & rear bottle storage, chafe free experience to date!

Tree planting Scots company of some repute, & hard wearing kit.

Edit: auto cocking correct
Last edited by Mr Gus on Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I've still to sort out clothing - currently in jeans which really aren't suitable, but don't think i could bring myself to go as far as lycra.

planning my 1st significant journey tomorrow: down into town and back - not very far but 700 vertical feet down into the valley. that was the principal reason for going for an e-bike - it's not that pedalling back home is impossible, but whenever i think about it i end up taking the car.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
billi

Post by billi »

Westie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 pm :roll: You would think they could produce an e-bike charging infrastructure based EV type 2 socket system by incorporating the charger in the e-bike battery pack with voltage step down electronics?
There is be no big deal to bring the ebike charger with me ( weights about 800 gram) , but again , i do not see a normal socket to plug it in into an puplic EV Charging station :evil: (maybe i should look closer )