Driverless cars

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Thebeeman

Driverless cars

Post by Thebeeman »

Am I correct in thinking that these cars require a kerb or a lane marking to know where they are on the road?
Down here in rural Devon we don't have such things, a lot of roads are not even 2 cars wide. Are we going to have 2 d/less cars meeting each other nose to nose and neither will/can reverse to a suitable wide section to enable them to pass each other.
They might work on M and A roads and in urban areas but I can't see a d/less Uber or white van turning up at my door this century.
Stinsy

Re: Driverless cars

Post by Stinsy »

They’re a lot more sophisticated than you imagine. They use a combination of optical information from the cameras and mapping/gps data. With some systems using radar/LiDAR in addition.

However the narrowest country lanes require precision in mm to pass, often with the sensors flatlining on several sides, I’m not sure how driverless will master that.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

Never thought of that.

I wondered how they would cope with the cr@p network coverage that we enjoy in the UK.
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Yeah - I think that's a real issue. You get plenty enough Mexican Standoffs with humans behind the wheel in situations like this - how an AI will respond will be really interesting!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

As we are countryside that happens a lot (no distinctive markings) which upsets tesla massively.

DItto the merest flakes of snow kick you out of anything but manual, that bit I understand there's simply too much flying in front of the camera's..

However as the computer & camera's on our car are totally fcuked & tesla techs quite rightly state it is too dangerous for them to want to drive & there is no fix for the faults which tesla have left us high & dry with (like cutting a mooring on a boat in a busy shipping lane / fast flow river, it's hard to tell what works as per design, (broken since day one)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
richbee

Post by richbee »

dan_b wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:50 am Yeah - I think that's a real issue. You get plenty enough Mexican Standoffs with humans behind the wheel in situations like this - how an AI will respond will be really interesting!
I can imagine they will come up with a solution - you will probably be able to upgrade to have priority for a nice monthly fee - like priority boarding - and then 'extra priority' once everyone pays for priority :lol:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I shudder, because as already proven, no camera footage for whatever reason liability likely to be piled on you, as we experienced tesla are not interested in fixing what is broken, nor making good with faulty technology.

Why else would tesla's own people be afraid of driving our broken vehicle, the liability potential for the driver is massive all the while tesla state no footage no problem exists (regardless of physical damage) ..bearing in mind the mindset that comes about from automatic assumption of everything recorded everywhere all the time (sort of thing) missing footage puts any claim on the back foot & ups your potential for liability with no sensors kicking in, ..I wonder how this has affected crashes of all kinds involving tesla tech for the vehicle doing stuff all by itself, which is then pooh-poohed by tesla.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Time to STOP DRIVING on motorways.

Drivers will be legally allowed to take their hands off the steering wheel on Britain’s motorways for the first time as long as they watch the road, after the government approved another step on the path to self-driving cars. :lol: :oops: 8-)

The driving-assist feature in Ford’s latest Mustang Mach-E model, which allows the vehicle to steer and accelerate but also monitors the driver’s attention to ensure their eyes are on the road, will be permitted by the Department for Transport in a first for Europe.

I have lost the link. There was a good one in America where the police stopped the car. The three people were asked to get out to be searched.
While they were standing being searched. The car drove away.
nowty

Post by nowty »

If this isn't the same incident, its similar. :lol:

Bit more info on this report as it is said the car drove away and pulled over to a safe location as programmed.
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3