Which EV charger offers best future proofing

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Stinsy

Re: Which EV charger offers best future proofing

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:20 pm If you were going to the expense of cutting up the road to lay a duct for an off street charger placed on the drive opposite your house. Which charger offers the most favourable option that won’t be out of date in under 12 months?

EV6 would be the car on charge and potentially l could consider giving in and getting a smart meter fitted to take advantage of any ToU tariffs etc in the future.

Moxi
1) The expense is laying the cable. If you can change a plug you can swap the charging point for a different one so you're not stuck with what you put in now (Just ask the Spark to leave plenty of slack).

2) Lay "EV Ultra" cable. This includes twisted pairs for CTs and network connections. Even if your current charging point doesn't use them a future one might.

3) Buy a Zappi.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:16 pm
Moxi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:20 pm If you were going to the expense of cutting up the road to lay a duct for an off street charger placed on the drive opposite your house. Which charger offers the most favourable option that won’t be out of date in under 12 months?

EV6 would be the car on charge and potentially l could consider giving in and getting a smart meter fitted to take advantage of any ToU tariffs etc in the future.

Moxi
1) The expense is laying the cable. If you can change a plug you can swap the charging point for a different one so you're not stuck with what you put in now (Just ask the Spark to leave plenty of slack).

2) Lay "EV Ultra" cable. This includes twisted pairs for CTs and network connections. Even if your current charging point doesn't use them a future one might.

3) Buy a Zappi.
Thanks Stinsy,

Sums it up nicely- I was thinking the unit would be house side due to comms needs and a long tether but item 2 clears that up nicely 🙏

Moxi
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Is it much more, or any more, expensive to have the cable installed through a bored hole under the toad?
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:58 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:16 pm

Moxi

3) Buy a Zappi.
Thanks Stinsy,

Sums it up nicely- I was thinking the unit would be house side due to comms needs and a long tether but item 2 clears that up nicely 🙏

Moxi
I’d get the spark to terminate the armoured into an IP rated enclosure then run flexicon from that to the charging point. You can have a few loops of single-insulated slack in the enclosure and more in the charging point. You can also be flexible about what you do with the twisted pairs. I’ve heard of people using the twisted pairs in EV ultra cable to set up a wifi access point next to the charging point for their Tesla software updates.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AGT

Post by AGT »

a trench is ideal to run copper tape giving a good earth
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Contractor visiting early in the new year to look over the job and provide a quote - I will update you after that.

Moxi
kla456

Post by kla456 »

Best future-proofing might be an extra 100mm flexible duct in the trench.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

kla456 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:36 pm Best future-proofing might be an extra 100mm flexible duct in the trench.
good point... I am wondering whether for the trivial price of flexible duct I should have put one in every trench I have dug!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWh pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWh batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWh pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Andy

Post by Andy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:57 pm
kla456 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:36 pm Best future-proofing might be an extra 100mm flexible duct in the trench.
good point... I am wondering whether for the trivial price of flexible duct I should have put one in every trench I have dug!
Careful with depth and traffic over your trench. I've had some pipes I can't get stuff through because they have squished. One was more of a traffic thing as it was under the drive. But even 32mm pipe through 100mm drainage pipe at 1m deep in the field was not easy.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

That’s another item to be started after the Xmas break, engage a highways contractor to lay the duct under the road, I assume they will lay to the appropriate depth as defined by the council highways dept. I will bear in mind the idea of two ducts but I would imagine one 4” would give me enough space for the ev cable and another couple of heavy guage cables to allow me to transfer power from ground mount solar in the garden to the cottage and have a power supply in my bunker.

Moxi