Test driving EVs

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Paul_F

Test driving EVs

Post by Paul_F »

I've just had it confirmed that work are bringing in the Octopus salary-sacrifice EV lease scheme in the next few months. Because I'm lucky enough to be a higher-rate taxpayer, it's going to be about cost neutral and less hassle with maintenance: my current car is a 10 year old E-class estate.

Question - how do you go about arranging test drives if you're thinking of doing a scheme like that? I've had a Model 3 as a hire car for a few days with work which I didn't like, and I know there's a Polestar test drive centre nearby, but what about the rest of them? Do you just book in with dealers even though you know you'd never buy from them?
John_S

Re: Test driving EVs

Post by John_S »

Yes. It is as simple as that. They expect it. That is why dealers have demonstrator cars.

You can also tell a lot by just sitting in a car. Does it feel right, can you easily reach everything, are there any annoying blind spots etc. To be honest, I never bothered with a test drive when I bought my VW ID4. I had owned VWs before and I was not interested in the fine differences between how it handled and how another car handled. I driven enough cars to know that they all do ok.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Yep, just pitch up and take some cars out for a drive.

The dealership model is done for anyway at least for new cars as more and more people and manufacturers shift to online ordering. I bought my EV online took about 5 mins to click on the specs and then confirm finances.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

OK, thanks. I had a feeling it would be like that but it felt like asking for something for nothing from the dealers so there had to be a catch. I'm guessing they get paid by the manufacturers to support this or something?
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

I have bought cars several times without test drives - a new Galaxy (replacing the one I had) and then two Ford Mondeo estates. Test drove the MG5 but didn't bother to do that with the MG4 I replaced it with.

My wife however always needs to do so as she's 4' 10" and has often found the cars at the top of her wish list don't have enough adjustment in the drivers seat etc. She has a Zoe which works well for her but that goes back in October. We're looking at the new Renault 5 as a replacement but it isn't out yet so no test drive possible! Hoping it'll be released sooner rather than later.
65 x Ø58mm SunnPro/Gledhill 450l
Solis Mini 4G 3kW/Sharp ND210/2.94kWp
SB1600/Sharp ND220/1.76kWp
SB1600/Kinve 235/2.115kWp
Dean Forge Croft Clearburn 11kW
SoFar ME3000/Pylontech US2000/19.2kWh
Ecodan 11kW HP
MG4
Zoe R135
PVOutput
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

I've got a smashed up/repaired collarbone that gets painful on long drives without support at the right height, and that's something you won't get from reviews or photos unfortunately.