Post by dan_b »

This is a big boy! 50MWh of batteries

https://electrek.co/2024/05/02/fully-el ... batteries/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
CrofterMannie

Re: Fully electric container ship

Post by CrofterMannie »

I'd expect a ship like that to have at least 5 MW engines so, although it's a huge battery, it is still pretty tiny by ships fuel standards!
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Quite impressive all the same. From the figures given and if my sums are correct the 50 MWh battery version would give approx 240 mile range.
China certainly appear to be forging ahead on the energy revolution front leaving us Westy's floundering in their wake and struggling to keep up. Or just not bothering, as the case maybe.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

can they get re-gen when trying to slow down such a large vessel as that? Not sure how that would work!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

dan_b wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:12 pm can they get re-gen when trying to slow down such a large vessel as that? Not sure how that would work!
Can't imagine it would be particularly significant but presumably removng power to the prop then the continuing movement of the vessel through water would surely induce reverse energy through it, vaguely similar to that of hydro generation perhaps?
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

Regen from slowing a vessel sounds difficult, progress with these things is made incrementally and easier things will be done first I guess.

Coincidentally this morning the vessel I work on was testing a flywheel / battery system that regenerates from cranes / hoists as they lower loads. It should absorb & deliver up to 6MW which could allow one less engine to be run.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Mart

Post by Mart »

If I'm remembering correctly from when the news broke of the plans for this ship (and more), it follows the coast and hops from port to port, so each leg is quite short, and the containerised batts can be swapped out for charged ones (if necessary). Hence why it doesn't need as much energy as you might think.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
nowty

Post by nowty »

This was the original thread when the ship was first floated last year.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =36&t=2392
16.9kW PV > 102MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

CrofterMannie wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:00 pm Regen from slowing a vessel sounds difficult, progress with these things is made incrementally and easier things will be done first I guess.
Our 6kW E-propulsion electric outboard has regen, although it's only on our small SIB safety boat so comes to a stop pretty quickly with little momentum, they're used to re-charge the batteries on sailboats while under sails though. So I imagine it shouldn't be too hard for re-gen on a container ship but maybe not a great deal of re-gen to be had during short stops vs continuous cruising power.
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6