Building an EV more efficient than walking

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Saladin

Re: Building an EV more efficient than walking

Post by Saladin »

I run a helmet lamp.

The handlebar lamp has an integrated horn that's adequately obnoxious, both on their own control pad that connects into the motor loom. Tail light and indicators are on the same control pad.

The indicators came with integrated blue DRLs :roll: which I deleted with extreme predjudice. I cut them off the PCBs after cracking open the lenses and then glued the lamps back together.

The frame mounted forward lamp plugs in to the lamp output of the motor and can be controlled manually or automatically from a photosensor on the display.

There's another forward facing 6V lamp {not lit in photos} and accompanying tail lamp that came with the bike, switched from a button on the rear of the front lamp and powered by a dynohub on the front wheel.

Shakedown tomorrow so. :D
Steering damper will be another coupla weeks.
Last edited by Saladin on Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

:whistle:
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Bike handles the horses well.

The steering damper is fitted and set to gimme allovit!

Lighting bars are fabricated.

Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Let's talk loadouts...I've already hauled the aluminium braces for a 15 panel ground array 30kms across the hillside.

Kiddy carrier.

Need mains on the go?

400VA "48" volter is a not terrible match for a 14S NMC Li-Ion.
Input XT60 is pin parallel with the motor from the battery combiner Output.
Demountable and can be deployed with one or more of the propulsion batteries.

Charge your mate's Ebike perhaps? Bike to bike in-flight refuelling is an option!

Car-go bike..get it? :P
Last edited by Saladin on Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Saladin

Post by Saladin »

While I was at it I decided to reinvent the self-propelled welder-genset with EV battery support, in an 80kg zero emission package, pushing 3.5kVA 230V & 180A of stick welder, combined 4kWh, indoor safe and 30dB. Micro-grid forming and integrating with AC and DC coupled solar compatibility. One fuel. :whistle:

Why it's a 100km range PHEV with a demountable grid-forming low-frequency hybrid Inverter, an integrated 1kWh usable capacity driving an ESAB 180A Inverter welder. Welding Ammo + Armour. EV offers 3kWh of support from it's onboard modular deployable battery.
Sure! If you add some phancy gas anna different ESAB she'll do MIG and TIG too.

Can you weld with your EV?

Genset:

EV battery support to Genset.

With Vehicle to Grid Capability.

resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Blimey Saladin, that is one surely capable load lugger, you get more on that beast than mrs Resy can shift in her three pot Polo!
The 'gadgets' go past me somewhat beings as im stuck in the Peter and Jane level 1 series of books for electronics and stuff, just wonder how it handles?, esp on those hillside tracks you mention.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

On a separate thread does your rotating composter by the back door deliver the goods regards nice compost ?

Like Resybaby, firmly in J&J level one for electronics but I say what I like and I like what I see.

Regards the does your EV weld - well yes it does via the outlet and my tiddly little DC stick welder but I wouldn't want to :lol: oh and when you say one fuel only don't you mean two ?

I still want a fat tyre bike for up here on the mountain but after two years I am still in negotiation mode with my better half.

I can dream

Moxi
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Hi Gents,

Come to think of it yearsh..I've welded a few spanners to the chassis of vehicles with the battery terminal on thuther end.
I forgot to take a pic of it making coffee onnan induction hob.

I was building "solar" gensets since before they were a thing. The preceeding hardware configuration is of such remarkable capability that you cannot buy it off the shelf.
Handling: shyte with 100kg of cantilevered aluminium channel over the front wheel shifting sidways and unbalancing the bike against the ratchet straps.
Max payload 180kg.
With a balanced load it's fine, the faster you go the stabler it gets because physics. Stopping requires some forethought to not drop the bike when you put a foot down and be in the right gear to proceed again. The crossbar helps a lot to balance the bike while standing handsfree.
Lack of suspension means unloaded on rough roads at speed the front wheel hops off the ground which is not great and if there's unrestrained cargo in the middle that gets hopped up and down stressing the midsection of the bike creating a mechanical feedback bounce.
It's a lot better if you load additional weight over the front wheel to keep it down.
It can climb 30° grade fully loaded at 25kmph.
You have to look where you are going....if you look at the front wheel it'll vere off because my brain can't predict linkage driven steering offset visually.
The front wheel wobbles at high load and/or speed the steering damper addresses most of that and helps the bike run true.
Indicators are a blessing because I'd not like to be one hand steering by necessity. Need to preprogram my mind to turn them off because they don't auto-cancel.
I've not found a point where speed alone destabilises the bike. Speed over a bumpy road is sketchy, you can pick a line but in most instances slow down.
The brakes are suberb; shortest stopping distance in my fleet.
If the max config. 15kg battery was under the cargo bed and of a longer flatter nature that would lower the centre of gravity and I expect improve handling. With just the centre battery solo she's noticeably sportier.
You wouldn't believe how far you can lean and hold road without scraping the frame granted the required inertia.
With the steering damper set to max. She's lean-steer biased as opposed to turny-wheel-steer...it's better.
Lights are ample in pitch dark.
When loaded tight on a smooth straight road she handles great especially at speed. She banks and rolls like nothing else, remember Wipeout for the PS1?

As an everyday city bike the displaced steering arc takes a bittov getting used to and I reduce pedal assist to half. Motorists act extra weird around it; they do the same non-conscious / inconsiderate maneuvers but now with an additional wtf-is-that!? component.

I heart the ride but if I can fit my gubbins in stereo paniers I'll still be taking a hardtail eMTB because off-road and sending it through the forest on the way to town.

I dunno about a fat tyre Moxi, cruiser style; not my thing. I heart my 2.35"s Magic Marys I'd go bigger but the mudguards and chainstays won't let me. You can get 2.8" tyres on MTBs these days which is pretty close and they generally have a much better suspension.

Composter? Dunno I've never used it. Mrs Saladin's department. :oops:

One fuel ¿ ...electricity.!?.oh right!...and muscles...er...sunlight! Photovoltaic & photosynthetic! :D
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Deffo agree its a 'two handed jobbie' on the handlebars Saladin, remember only to well how tough the steering was with just a set of front wheel panniers on my old touring bike back in the day, worse still with a handlebar bag in addition.

Remember rolling down more than a few hills too quickly, all the way silently promising the 'big guy upstairs' id be better behaved if i made it down alive again and didnt end up eating tarmac en route.

Cracking project though, your obviously enjoying it immensly, and that is the best sort of enthusiam to have. Top stuff.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation