Pepsi's electric trucking depot

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Mr Gus

Re: Pepsi's electric trucking depot

Post by Mr Gus »

United States
See also: Federal Bridge Gross Weight Formula

Permitted routes for longer combination vehicles on the U.S. National Highway System: 2017
In the United States, trucks on public roads are limited to two trailers (two 28 ft or 8.5 m and a dolly to connect; the limit is 63 ft or 19 m end to end). Some states allow three 28 ft or 8.5 m trailers, although triples are usually restricted to less populous states such as Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, plus the Ohio Turnpike[17] and Indiana East–West Toll Road. Triples are used for long-distance less-than-truckload freight hauling (in which case the trailers are shorter than a typical single-unit trailer) or resource hauling in the interior west (such as ore or aggregate). Triples are sometimes marked with "LONG LOAD" banners both front and rear. "Turnpike doubles"—tractors towing two full-length trailers—are allowed on the New York Thruway and Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90), Florida's Turnpike, Kansas Turnpike (Kansas City - Wichita route) as well as the Ohio and Indiana toll roads.[18] Colorado allows what are known as "Rocky Mountain Doubles" which is one full length 53 ft or 16 m trailer and an additional 28 ft or 8.5 m trailer. The term "road train" is not commonly used in the United States; "turnpike train" has been used, generally in a pejorative sense.[19]

STAA double pup 28.5 foot trailers
In the western United States LCVs are allowed on many Interstate highways. The only LCVs allowed nationwide are STAA doubles.[20]

On private property like farms, highway restrictions on trailer length and count do not apply. Bales of straw, for example, are sometimes moved in wagon trains of up to 20 trailers an eighth of a mile long (carrying a total of 3,600 bales).[21]
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

A nutball such as he is, "might" want to implement his hyperloop system for that distance :lol:
& freight instead of passenger carriage makes more sense.

BUT, tesla not using its own trailer fleet might be damaging for the brand, & doubtless trailers would be needed for delivery to "somewhere" from wherever a hyperloop terminated.

Is there a causal link between the new mexico giga factory location & las vegas tunnels expansion which was given recently?

Tesla has been in talks with Indian reservation land owners & opened up some tesla operations? there, does this mean anything for future underground tunnelling licensing maybe?

I know that is a stretch of the imagination, however, you know musk, & distance fits in with hyperloop concept, of which i'm sure his own firms would be lined up to handle the investment via R&D tax relief or similar.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oliver90owner wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:53 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:09 am
Oliver90owner wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:56 pm I see, on a recent vid, that tesla are gearing up to deliver their cars by electric truck, too. From their new factory in Mexico.
Expecting them, eventually, to be autonomous, too?
All the way from their new factory in Mexico? That must be expensive. Trucks are very inefficient both in fuel, man-hours and loading time compared with trains or ships.
I’m sure Mr Tesla will know - if 10, 15, 20? (how many can they carry at a time?)
Electric fuel @ 1.7kWh/mile. Got to be loaded and unloaded, whatever the transport. Man hours could be very low if made totally autonomous.
I hadn't thought about totally autonomous transport, but that may never come.
Your figure isn't kWhr per Tonne-mile... and I can't find a figure for rail freight, but I'm sure that railways will beat it hands down (steel wheel on steel rail.)
As for loading, I have seen lots of ticklish manoeuvring to get cars onto lorries, on the US rail loading gauge they will be able to go along the train like they were on a motorway!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!