BEV charger questions

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Oliver90owner

Re: BEV charger questions

Post by Oliver90owner »

Me? I’m waiting, before I change my dumb charger, to see if the robbing government landlords (all pub landlords are bar stewards, aren’t they) outlaw the sale of anything but smart chargers - so they can tax the user for every Joule they put in their EV battery.🙂
Krill

Post by Krill »

I'm looking for a WiFi enabled charger that has no other connectivity. Then what I will do is put it on a separate vlan on my router and deny it an internet connection.

Good luck reporting data for tax purposes then.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
robl

Post by robl »

We have a Ohme commando (as in, 32A commando plug input). It looks like a granny charger cable, but with a commando plug. It’s got a sim in it, there’s an app, it’s trying far too hard with all the ‘data’ it presents - I don’t think it even has a current sensor inside but it pretends to know how much the car has charged via it(it doesn’t) and what the co2 savings are, etc etc. One time it either crashed or lost its 3G connection, and just started charging immediately - took me 3 hours at peak rate to notice :facepalm: So generally I hate it.
However, it gets us on the IOG tariff which makes the internet connectivity worth it :D . I don’t look at the app anymore; just plug in & it charges overnight, that’s it. Spare solar is exported for 2x the value than overnight electric, great, and we know the car will half fill every night (half a Tesla LR3, so 37.5kWh costing £2.62).
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
AGT

Post by AGT »

Krill wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:00 pm Zappi want £90 for a design consultation. The consumer unit is more than 2m off the floor is all I can see as the reason. I'll probably make contact based off the advice but they are already in a hole AFAICT.
They will also be looking at existing consumer into see that there is space to fit new RCBO of the same male as the original equipment, or see if a second small board can be fitted.
Also they will need to check any main binds to water/gas services are in place as You cannot go ahead if these aren’t in place so may offer to quote for it, basically gives an order sheet specific to your job for the electrician to rock up and fit knowing he has all the stuff specific to your prooerty
Krill

Post by Krill »

AGT wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:29 pm
Krill wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:00 pm Zappi want £90 for a design consultation. The consumer unit is more than 2m off the floor is all I can see as the reason. I'll probably make contact based off the advice but they are already in a hole AFAICT.
They will also be looking at existing consumer into see that there is space to fit new RCBO of the same male as the original equipment, or see if a second small board can be fitted.
Also they will need to check any main binds to water/gas services are in place as You cannot go ahead if these aren’t in place so may offer to quote for it, basically gives an order sheet specific to your job for the electrician to rock up and fit knowing he has all the stuff specific to your property
I figured as much, but to be candid, every installer has to check the system is safe: why are Myenergi charging an extra £90? Rhetorical question there, because the T&C say it's a none refundable cost if the installation does not proceed for any reason. Frankly I refuse to be bound by that, so whilst I might use a Zappi charger, it will not be installed by Myenergi.

In some respect this is the opposite to what Joeboy was finding with triple glazing: I'm fine with providing photographs, video and a teams call to discuss prior to a potential site visit.

Ah well, plenty more irons in the fire.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Lots of positives about the Zappi but ‘reliable’ they are not, join the EV installer page if you don’t believe me, you will see they are far from reliable.
I’m yet to get one fitted so the installers offer a good insight, many of them installing several a week so a much better representation of the products. At the moment I’m swaying to the Hypervolt.
AGT

Post by AGT »

4 years in Jan of the old style Cubev fitted. No issues
Opened it up a while ago and fitted the Shelly to control the pilot wire to let me control on/off times.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Jinx wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:02 pm Lots of positives about the Zappi but ‘reliable’ they are not, join the EV installer page if you don’t believe me, you will see they are far from reliable.
I’m yet to get one fitted so the installers offer a good insight, many of them installing several a week so a much better representation of the products. At the moment I’m swaying to the Hypervolt.
Is this reliability figure a result of the zappi’s market share ie they are more popular so the faults arise more often even if their reliability is as good as competitors based on faults in 1000 units etc or are they really less reliable?

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

A bit dated but I’ve just found this and will be reading it with a cup of tea in a few minutes time. A quick glance suggests it’s insightful and appears to back up the view that Myenergie Zappi’s are not as reliable as some other popular chargers such as the Hypervolt mentioned here earlier by Fintray ?

Moxi

Ha ha forgot the link in my haste to make the tea

https://www.whatcar.com/news/best-home- ... ers/n25830
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Moxi wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:00 pm
Jinx wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:02 pm Lots of positives about the Zappi but ‘reliable’ they are not, join the EV installer page if you don’t believe me, you will see they are far from reliable.
Is this reliability figure a result of the zappi’s market share ie they are more popular so the faults arise more often even if their reliability is as good as competitors based on faults in 1000 units etc or are they really less reliable?

Moxi
That’s a fair point but I’m not sure they are far out selling the rest? If you can bear Jordan then Artisan have a video, seems to be a similar picture to the installers group, admittedly I haven’t noticed Zappi complaints recently although some refuse to install them now…

I do wish Zappi were reliable with good CS as they are British, myenergi’s Jordan gives me as much confidence as Artisans though :shock:
Last edited by Jinx on Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.