Oh dear, what have I done

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Bugtownboy

Re: Oh dear, what have I done

Post by Bugtownboy »

Having, over the years, travelled on roads when not long after I’d gone through (minutes) someone got squished, I never underestimate the chance of a tree falling in very windy conditions, though, I’m not sure what you can do about it if your numbers up.

The ability of the Tesla to withstand that level of insult is testament to its design and, hopefully, that of any modern car.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:06 pm Having, over the years, travelled on roads when not long after I’d gone through (minutes) someone got squished, I never underestimate the chance of a tree falling in very windy conditions, though, I’m not sure what you can do about it if your numbers up.

The ability of the Tesla to withstand that level of insult is testament to its design and, hopefully, that of any modern car.
I was standing on the giants causeway when Arwen blew thru. Fella got killed nearby. Got home to Scotland, fella killed just over the road. I'd be happy in a vehicle that could take that bounce test and just gan canny.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:48 pm
Mart wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:15 pm Anyone interested to see what happens when ~1tonne of tree lands on a TM3 glass roof?

Tesla Owner Saved By Glass Roof When Car Crushed With 2000 Pound Tree
I doubt you could invent a worse type of destruction test for the roof, the tree had snapped off and was in freefall, you can see the car actually bounce from the impact. :shock:
My thoughts exactly, and I also thought it was fun how it gets worse as the video slows down. It starts off looking like a whack on the back, and by the time you get the extra slow replay you see it crush the car suspension right down.

The comments get a bit snarky, pointing out it's 'just' a laminated glass roof, and the steel structure is what saves everyone, which is fair enough, but still a good reminder that these glass roofs are up to the job of a decent crash, or rollover, though rolling BEV's is harder.

Do folk remember the really weird Tesla tree crash from the UK, possibly 5yrs ago now? A very large tree fell across a road, and the Tesla Model X applied emergency automatic braking before the driver could, so it landed on the bonnet, not the cabin ......... and the 'other' Tesla Model X coming the other way did exactly the same, taking nose damage instead of a cabin hit ...... what are the odds of that?
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mart

Post by Mart »

marshman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:33 pm Seems to me like Tesla's are tree magnets - I wouldn't want to get in one if its windy :lol: :lol: :lol:
I just laughed out loud so hard, that the dog came up the stairs to see what was wrong with me!
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Had to attend a blood test today as part of a phase 3 Covid-19 booster trial I am on and it was extra cold this morning with Zen covered with ice. As usual from the APP I pressed the cabin precondition and the heated steering wheel icon, but today I also pressed the heated seat icon too. :o

Oohhhhh, bliss. :mrgreen:

And whilst I was at the clinic, I received a news update that the Sanofi adjuvanted recombinant protein based vaccine I have taken as a booster is showing between a 9 to 43 fold increase in antibodies regardless of which earlier vaccines were used and across all age ranges. :D

But we also had an awkward conversation about potential travel restrictions if you haven't had an official 3rd booster. I may be able to get a medical exemption letter but it still complicates matters. :evil:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

We live in interesting times. This is something the medical trial people would never have had to contemplate before.

Never before have such restrictions been placed upon people based upon them having a medical treatment. It is nolonger about the vaccine, or covid, it seems to be about power and compliance.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:30 pm And whilst I was at the clinic, I received a news update that the Sanofi adjuvanted recombinant protein based vaccine I have taken as a booster is showing between a 9 to 43 fold increase in antibodies regardless of which earlier vaccines were used and across all age ranges.
which ignores the fact that T-cell resistance is far more important against viruses, antibodies are mainly targeted on bacteria... Can only be good news though.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/201833/ ... p-protect/:
Unfortunately analyses of immunity due toT-cells are extremely expensive, so rarely get done outside a few research studies.
DA: Since the start of the pandemic, there’s been a lot of discussion about how to test immunity to COVID-19. We started by thinking that antibody testing would be game-changing because it would tell you at an individual level if you’d been infected or not, and whether or not you were immune. However, there were several problems with that idea. The antibody tests developed at the beginning of the pandemic didn’t work very well and it took a lot of time to sort out. It then transpired that antibodies probably wane quite quickly, and it might only be possible to detect them eight to ten weeks after infection. That could mean that you no longer have any immediate protection from the virus after that time and no way of proving whether you’ve been infected.

With other coronavirus infections, such as SARS and MERS, the hypothesis has always been that T cell responses offer far more durable protection. In one of the papers discussed in our recent article, researchers in Singapore analysed people who had SARS 17 years ago and demonstrated that they still have rip-roaring T cell responses to the virus. This suggests that T cell responses can be quite long-lasting and that they might offer a more definitive way of showing who has been infected and who hasn’t. The only catch is that researchers haven’t proved that T cells in their own right are protective.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Antibodies (produced by B lymphocytes) are important in the response to viral infections - as is the development of an effective T (lymphocyte) response.

Ideally, we would have a broad B cell response to vaccination producing high levels of IgG antibodies (probably what the Sanofi booster has been demonstrated to provide) along with the production of IgA antibodies - these are present on mucosal surfaces, so good news for acting against respiratory viruses.

Interestingly, the long term mortality & morbidity post vaccination has suggested that the Astra Zeneca vaccine (a more conventional type vaccine, not mRNA) has produced a far more robust T cell ‘immunity’ giving the UK population that received it, an advantage over some of the EU countries that were wary of it.

This is probably conjecture at the moment as it hasn’t been adequately confirmed.