renewablejohn

Re: Hesla anyone (hydrogen Tesla)

Post by renewablejohn »

Dont worry farmers can always use excess hydrogen

https://sustainablefoodtrust.org/news-v ... -hydrogen/
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Have not watched the jcb / harry video just yet.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:58 pm
Mart wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:54 pm Thanks John, really interesting. I suspect for farming, in this example, I've done the classic, and let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

@Dan, further to your comment about space heating, this diagram helps to put the energy demand in context. It uses wind generation just for comparison purposes:

That's an incredibly good diagram.
Is there an equivalent for "renewable H2 in a HFC vs battery electric vehicles - pretty sure there will be?!
Hiya Dan, further to your question, here's another chart, giving slightly different numbers for BEV v's HFCV's, but also has e-fuels. Thought it would be good to post on here, so the images are together if anyone wants to copy them for use elsewhere.

8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Superb diagram.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

Cheers Dan, thought you'd like it. A lot tougher than the diagram from VW, they had 70-90% for BEV's, v's the 73% by T&E, and for the HFCV's it's down from 25%-35% to 22%.

I suspect the T&E figures are fairer, covering all losses, and would suggest the BEV could reach high 70's if charged from home on PV.

Hopefully the idea of e-fuels, using an ICE, won't carry much weight going forward. Almost certainly a way to extend FF consumption, by selling ICEV's for longer.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Mart wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:54 pm Thanks John, really interesting. I suspect for farming, in this example, I've done the classic, and let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

@Dan, further to your comment about space heating, this diagram helps to put the energy demand in context. It uses wind generation just for comparison purposes:

Brilliant diagram - just thinking about the heat pump example - if every country had a similar amount of energy drawn in from the environment by the heat pumps - 47GW in this case, how much would that help in reducing global temperatures in addition to the reduction in CO2 greenhouse gas effect?
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:31 am

Brilliant diagram - just thinking about the heat pump example - if every country had a similar amount of energy drawn in from the environment by the heat pumps - 47GW in this case, how much would that help in reducing global temperatures in addition to the reduction in CO2 greenhouse gas effect?
Surely nearly all heating produced by heat pumps leaks bck out of buildings etc. into the environment. The net result being that any power used to drive the heat pump is addition heat in to the environment unless it is renewable.

The only savings in terms of reducing global temperatures would simply be those of not heating the environment with fossil fuels.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Yes.

Although in that example, I suppose you add in any CO2(e) additions from the additional RE construction, transmission and H2 production/transmission construction, v's the HP solution.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Countrypaul wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:59 am

Surely nearly all heating produced by heat pumps leaks bck out of buildings etc. into the environment. The net result being that any power used to drive the heat pump is addition heat in to the environment unless it is renewable.

The only savings in terms of reducing global temperatures would simply be those of not heating the environment with fossil fuels.
I see what you mean - but if you had a fully electric heating system (not HP), powered by renewables (or a gas or H2 system for that matter), then 70GW of heat would go back in to the environment from the total amount of heating, whereas with HP you only put net 27GW heat back.
- that's in addition to the extra 43GW of electricity needed to be generated to run the heating with associated CO2 if non-renewable sources are used
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:20 am
Countrypaul wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:59 am

I see what you mean - but if you had a fully electric heating system (not HP), powered by renewables (or a gas or H2 system for that matter), then 70GW of heat would go back in to the environment from the total amount of heating, whereas with HP you only put net 27GW heat back.
- that's in addition to the extra 43GW of electricity needed to be generated to run the heating with associated CO2 if non-renewable sources are used
But surely that extra 43GW of renewable electricity is generated from the environment, if PV less sunlight is used for heating the enviroment at that point, but comes back from building heating, similarly if wind - which ultimately comes from sunlight heating the earth...
The use of heatpumps probably means less infrastructure costs (and consequently less CO2 for that) and might allow storage of heat more easily than electrical power but either way the energy for heaing via renewables comes from the environment and returns there. There is no free lunch.. :D