Sneaked under the radar.....

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Galahad

Re: Sneaked under the radar.....

Post by Galahad »

As only a slight aside to this it seems that the latest SMETS meter specification is going to include a method of allowing a supplier to manage demand that will provide discreet control rather than the crude on/off settings that are currently available.

How long before everyone who has a SMETS1/2 meter will be required to upgrade to the new type?

There seems to be a new world coming where multiple agencies will be vying to have control over just how much electricity demand a household is allowed at any particular point in time.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Galahad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:28 pm As only a slight aside to this it seems that the latest SMETS meter specification is going to include a method of allowing a supplier to manage demand that will provide discreet control rather than the crude on/off settings that are currently available.

How long before everyone who has a SMETS1/2 meter will be required to upgrade to the new type?

There seems to be a new world coming where multiple agencies will be vying to have control over just how much electricity demand a household is allowed at any particular point in time.
If that happens, Nowty Towers will be switching to OffGrid mode as per our last power cut, but this time the Jolly Roger will be flying. :twisted:

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 am What if you make your own charging point?

https://ecoharmony.co.uk/collections/bu ... r-own-evcp
Hehe, I tried that with a different brand. I managed to get the car relays to open and close about 4 times a second during testing until I disconnected. There wasn't quite the level of control I thought I'd be able to achieve on the pilot wire.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I think we are safe regarding PV usage. The only energy required to be reported is the imported or exported energy. The first article does feel a bit paranoid and click baity. But then knowing this government anything is possible.
(3) A relevant charge point must be configured so that it is able—

(a)on each occasion it is used, to measure or calculate every one second the electrical power it has imported or exported (as the case may be), such measurement or calculation to be in watts or kilowatts; and

(b)to provide the information referred to in sub-paragraph (a) via a communications network.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Galahad wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:28 pm As only a slight aside to this it seems that the latest SMETS meter specification is going to include a method of allowing a supplier to manage demand that will provide discreet control rather than the crude on/off settings that are currently available.

Not sure how that would work. OK for purely resistive loads but most aren't. Or will EVERY appliance in a house have to be smart? (that's the next under the radar legislation) ;) ;) (make it really long then no one will read it and see what it says).
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I think it is only going to be on/off for specific circuits - a bit like adding Economy 7 to a simple Smart Meter. So you would have freezer/fridge/washing machine/tumble drier/HP on controlled circuits and lights/sockets on uncontrolled circuits with a in-house comms hub adding additional levels of control.

The detailed proposals, such as they are, can be found in this government document:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _FINAL.PDF

[edit]

Here's a specific HCALCS device which communicates via Zigbee:

https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_produ ... ol-switch/

I'm guessing that the expectation is that future appliances will be made available that will be capable of communicating with the Smart Meter hub and selecting different modes of operation at different electrical load levels - e.g. a tumble drier that could operate at either 100% load for x minutes or 50% load for y minutes (possibly not a valid example, but you get the basic idea), and do this semi-autonomously by interacting with the hub.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Gosh, there are several problems to overcome for this to work at our house.

1. Smart meter signal required. There is none forecast.
2. Several 60cm granite walls between sections of the house and the garage. This affects the zigbee and wifi.
3. I'm not upgrading hardware for many years yet hopefully.

I'm not sure I want auto scheduled tumble driers. I want to be around to determine when fire risks are running.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I would estimate that virtually every single house in the country would need to be completely re-wired for most of this to work.

How many people have a freezer on a dedicated circuit rather than just a ring? My tumble drier is on the same circuit as the gas boiler.

How many people have space for an extra consumer unit? I certainly don't without fairly major associated building works. I already have a SMETS2 meter setup where the gas meter cannot talk through walls to the electricity meter so have to report readings manually.

Such practicalities don't seem to feature in the strategy documents.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Andy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 pm I think we are safe regarding PV usage. The only energy required to be reported is the imported or exported energy. The first article does feel a bit paranoid and click baity. But then knowing this government anything is possible.

(a)on each occasion it is used, to measure or calculate every one second the electrical power it has imported or exported (as the case may be), such measurement or calculation to be in watts or kilowatts; and

(b)to provide the information referred to in sub-paragraph (a) via a communications network.
A smart charge point will only be able to measure energy into the EV or energy out of the EV, its not going to know whether the leccy is coming from the grid or from your solar PV or from your home batteries.

Both my Tesla APP and my Octopus APP tells me how many kWh have been put into the EV, but again, they have no idea where the leccy has come from.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

nowty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:11 pm
Andy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 pm I think we are safe regarding PV usage. The only energy required to be reported is the imported or exported energy. The first article does feel a bit paranoid and click baity. But then knowing this government anything is possible.

A smart charge point will only be able to measure energy into the EV or energy out of the EV, its not going to know whether the leccy is coming from the grid or from your solar PV or from your home batteries.

Both my Tesla APP and my Octopus APP tells me how many kWh have been put into the EV, but again, they have no idea where the leccy has come from.
Ah I am coming from the point of view of a Zappi. There is a CT clamp so it can show the amount of “free” energy.