iD4

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Stinsy

Re: iD4

Post by Stinsy »

NikoV6 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Stinsy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:39 pm
marshman wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:17 pm What was the cost per unit at that charger?
75p

Or 10x what I pay at home. But that isn't the point, the average cost per kWh isn't materially affected by these very rare long journeys. The point is the car can do occasional long journeys without stress, hassle, or multiple long charging stops.
I agree, but still think 75p a unit is outrageous and will adversely penalise those who cannot charge at home.

Most who will do the maths will see its cheaper to fuel a derv burner at that cost!

Do VW not offer an app that subsidises the cost at rapids?

Can ID range be charged at Tesla Superchargers? Cost should be about 46p which is more acceptable
1) I personally wouldn't recommend a BEV for someone who couldn't charge at home. That said, many people in that position do have a BEV. However they are able to charge at the supermarket while they get their groceries, the Lidl near me is 40p for example. Alternatively all the networks allow you to pay a monthly fee to access lower prices which would be cost effective if you're using the same network all the time.

2) VW allows cheaper prices at Ionity I believe (basically the first tier of monthly fee for free).

3) iD can charge at Tesla superchargers but not all sites are open to non-teslas and you can't just tap your credit/debit card. There is an app to download, an account to create, personal and payment details to upload, etc.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:05 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Stinsy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:39 pm
75p

Or 10x what I pay at home. But that isn't the point, the average cost per kWh isn't materially affected by these very rare long journeys. The point is the car can do occasional long journeys without stress, hassle, or multiple long charging stops.
I agree, but still think 75p a unit is outrageous and will adversely penalise those who cannot charge at home.

Most who will do the maths will see its cheaper to fuel a derv burner at that cost!

Do VW not offer an app that subsidises the cost at rapids?

Can ID range be charged at Tesla Superchargers? Cost should be about 46p which is more acceptable
1) I personally wouldn't recommend a BEV for someone who couldn't charge at home. That said, many people in that position do have a BEV. However they are able to charge at the supermarket while they get their groceries, the Lidl near me is 40p for example. Alternatively all the networks allow you to pay a monthly fee to access lower prices which would be cost effective if you're using the same network all the time.

2) VW allows cheaper prices at Ionity I believe (basically the first tier of monthly fee for free).

3) iD can charge at Tesla superchargers but not all sites are open to non-teslas and you can't just tap your credit/debit card. There is an app to download, an account to create, personal and payment details to upload, etc.
I suppose its use case specific, around here the only rapid chargers are a pair in Oswestry, Instavolt at 75p a unit. No discount for subscription available. Likewise in Welshpool, Osprey at 79p a unit, no subscription offer. Other option is Tesco, 7kW at 44p but a tankful from nearly empty, 7 - 11 hours! This will hurt EV adoption for many.

Tesla chargers are just plug and walk away, we all had to submit our details to set up an account. :mrgreen:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Right. Took the kids camping in North Wales at the bank holiday weekend. Weather was glorious. Campfire marshmallows, beach, hillwalking, etc. Stopped at Instavolt Rhug on the way back, beautiful farm shop/cafe with glorious scenery and 8x rapid chargers.

Chargers were labelled as “120kW” however they are limited to 200A so with my 96s pack making 345.6V, 70ish kW was as much as I could ask. And that’s what they delivered. Not the speediest charge anyone has ever seen. But 20mins was as quick as I needed and got me home.

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)