Oh dear, what have I done

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Mart

Re: Oh dear, what have I done

Post by Mart »

I like 'Zen' that's a great name and idea, ...... but ...... what was the name of the 'mobile' computer they had and used to take on missions with them, it was a large perspex box (if memory serves me) with lots of little flashing lights in it?
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Orac ?

I suppose this would be a better name, Nowty, being an anagram of O Car !

Where’s the love emoji when you need it ;)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Stinsy,

Pretty sure that Norwegian charge box I mentioned a few weeks ago has PEN system also?
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... rger#p1564

I love the idea of being able to give your neighbours an RFID card to allow them to charge their car during the mass of time we don't need it, or can simply move a car to allow access to it, a lot of localised greening potential.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:00 am Great to see other charging points (remember the “charger” is in the car) with PEN fault detection built in. I thought the only one with this feature was the Zappi.

Nowadays an external PEN fault detector is preferable to an Earth rod. Either way complicated and expensive enough that IMO you should only consider charging points with built in PEN fault detection. Interestingly (I believe) we are the only country that worries about this!

What are you doing to protect your main fuse? I know the Zappi can take care of this too, does the Wallbox have that feature?
Wallbox UK PEN Fault BS7671 Compliance

With regards to main fuse protection, both my EV chargers have variable outputs so I can manually manage it for now and typically both cars would rarely be charged simultaneously. However if I upgrade my first EV charger with another wallbox and fitted their grid point energy meter, the units can load share the available power bandwidth in order to not overload the incoming grid connection.

One thing I had previously got wrong was using a standard RCD, you need to use a Type A RCD which trips if it detects 6ma of DC. The other thing I had to change was to have individual 32A MCBs for each charger.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:36 am Orac ?

I suppose this would be a better name, Nowty, being an anagram of O Car !

Where’s the love emoji when you need it ;)
Yes, YES of course (phew I'm not going mad). Just did a search:

8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:03 am Stinsy,

Pretty sure that Norwegian charge box I mentioned a few weeks ago has PEN system also?
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... rger#p1564

I love the idea of being able to give your neighbours an RFID card to allow them to charge their car during the mass of time we don't need it, or can simply move a car to allow access to it, a lot of localised greening potential.
The wallbox has this feature too using a smartphone APP via bluetooth, although you need to pay a subscription for this service. My charger could easily reach my neighbours car and he would be billed automatically at a mutually agreeable rate.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:25 am
Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:00 am Great to see other charging points (remember the “charger” is in the car) with PEN fault detection built in. I thought the only one with this feature was the Zappi.

Nowadays an external PEN fault detector is preferable to an Earth rod. Either way complicated and expensive enough that IMO you should only consider charging points with built in PEN fault detection. Interestingly (I believe) we are the only country that worries about this!

What are you doing to protect your main fuse? I know the Zappi can take care of this too, does the Wallbox have that feature?
Wallbox UK PEN Fault BS7671 Compliance

With regards to main fuse protection, both my EV chargers have variable outputs so I can manually manage it for now and typically both cars would rarely be charged simultaneously. However if I upgrade my first EV charger with another wallbox and fitted their grid point energy meter, the units can load share the available power bandwidth in order to not overload the incoming grid connection.

One thing I had previously got wrong was using a standard RCD, you need to use a Type A RCD which trips if it detects 6ma of DC. The other thing I had to change was to have individual 32A MCBs for each charger.
My understanding is that you can use a "standard" type AC RCD if the charging point has type "A" protection built in (most do), but yours specifies it doesn't have "Type A" protection built in so you need an external Type A breaker.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Like that forethought Nowty.

PS, have you registered the cars for the Laaandon ULEV, congestion zone fat expansion £10 exemption yet?
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... +exemption ..I have this peculiar feeling you's going to be slapping some miles on that shiny new joy-toy very quickly, possibly citing a few "warp factor 9 ..make it so number two" lines" (sorry, no blakes 7 lines, I just remember them dying at the end)

NB: in the likelihood you gently chided the wife for getting caught out, don't let it happen twice lest she instigate "payback" :lol:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:09 am Like that forethought Nowty.

PS, have you registered the cars for the Laaandon ULEV, congestion zone fat expansion £10 exemption yet?
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... +exemption ..I have this peculiar feeling you's going to be slapping some miles on that shiny new joy-toy very quickly, possibly citing a few "warp factor 9 ..make it so number two" lines" (sorry, no blakes 7 lines, I just remember them dying at the end)

NB: in the likelihood you gently chided the wife for getting caught out, don't let it happen twice lest she instigate "payback" :lol:
Yes, I will once I have the car registration sorted out, its probably worth the £10 a year not to have to worry about it anymore.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:55 am My understanding is that you can use a "standard" type AC RCD if the charging point has type "A" protection built in (most do), but yours specifies it doesn't have "Type A" protection built in so you need an external Type A breaker.
I just checked the manual of my first ZENCAR EV charger and it does have both the DC and earth protection monitoring so I was legal anyway. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3