Oh dear, what have I done

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
nowty

Re: Oh dear, what have I done

Post by nowty »

Just received another update from Tesla, confirming my pickup appointment (not changed) and I now have a registration number so I can crack on and set up the car insurance.

EDIT - Insurance is now sorted and I am amazed.

So I previously had a quote via confused.com, which I normally use a comparison website and it turned out my own insurer LV was the cheapest. So thought that was ideal as can just change the vehicle over with the minimum of fuss and was quoted £419.

I also tried Direct Line as recommended by Tesla and it came out at anything from £350 to £400 depending on options, the higher end was comparable cover to my existing policy with LV so decided I'd stick with LV to avoid the hassle.

So clicked on acceptance of the quote, and it allowed me to change the vehicle with everything else the same and I was expecting say an extra £150 minimum payment till the end of my current contract. It said £76 to pay and the quote for the whole year is now only £303. :shock:

And it gets better as I just phoned them to ask how much it will cost me when I add my NOxxWTY number plate as I expected an admin charge and there is no charge. :D
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hiya Nowty, we were really shocked at the cost of our insurance too last year, and the renewal price this year is £280 (but for 10k miles).

I don't really understand how it can be so low, but if I had to guess (and this will sound like an advert for Tesla), it could be because they are so safe for occupants in the event of a crash, and have a lot of crash avoidance kit, so perhaps injury claims/costs are severely reduced, plus they are very hard to steal, and have a very, very high recovery rate. But even so, I'm still unsure how it can be so low, but I'm not complaining.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

All those camera's will doubtless pare claim time investigations to the bone with way less argumentative denials due to footage from multiple angles, (I just need to work out how to save & send clips, beyond the initial screen button graphic press.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Mart wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:09 pm Hiya Nowty, we were really shocked at the cost of our insurance too last year, and the renewal price this year is £280 (but for 10k miles).
:o :shock: Shhh, ok ignore the carbon, but for a 17yo Volvo V70 ;)

Question - does having a home charger, and probably more likely, a home battery have any impact on home insurance ?

Has anyone declared it ?
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Skirting around the tumbleweed of BTB's last question :lol: , Test drive booked for next Tuesday Model 3 performance. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:51 pm
Mart wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:09 pm Hiya Nowty, we were really shocked at the cost of our insurance too last year, and the renewal price this year is £280 (but for 10k miles).
:o :shock: Shhh, ok ignore the carbon, but for a 17yo Volvo V70 ;)

Question - does having a home charger, and probably more likely, a home battery have any impact on home insurance ?

Has anyone declared it ?
I've never heard of a home battery/EV charger causing a fire. I suppose insurance companies would ask if it made a meaningful difference to risk.

Surely ICE vehicles catch fire (and sometimes damage a home) more often that EVs?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Has anyone declared it ?
My experience of insurance companies is don’t ask any questions you might not like the answer to.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:13 am Test drive booked for next Tuesday Model 3 performance. 8-)
After having so a low insurance quote for such a fast and expensive car made me think that,

Ohhh, those 20 inch Uberturbine Wheels and red brake calipers do look rather nice !

But after thinking about it a bit more, I value the extra range more and quite like the car to look bog standard as to not stand out and be a target for thieves or vandals.

Anyway, enjoy the test drive and obviously report back !
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

nowty wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:04 am

Has anyone declared it ?
My experience of insurance companies is don’t ask any questions you might not like the answer to.
Full disclosure, Nowty. They’ll get you one way or the other.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:13 am Skirting around the tumbleweed of BTB's last question :lol: , Test drive booked for next Tuesday Model 3 performance. 8-)
Hope you have a great time, you'll love it.

I have to admit that when I test drove the performance, and 'dabbed' the accelerator at about 30mph, it did scare me.

If you're interested in value for money, which is a bit of an oxymoron given the cost of these beasts, but for what it's worth, my opinion is that the performance is too much extra dosh (~£11k). A halfway measure, given that the LR model is a performance model, just one where the computer won't let you access all the power, is to pay for the acceleration boost. It's £1,500, an over the air update, and releases about another 70kW/100hp. That pretty much closes the gap by half, taking the LR from ~4.2s 0-60 (v's ~ 3.1s for the performance), down to around 3.6s.

[According to some vids where folk have tested them before/after.]

But just to be clear, please don't anybody take this too seriously, these are all crazy figures, great fun, but obviously at the extreme end of necessity ...... perhaps way past that point!
Last edited by Mart on Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.