EV driving efficiency

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

EV driving efficiency

Post by dan_b »

Got this efficiency on my commute home last night - what's your best for a decent trip?!

Average speed of 38mph for the whole journey, at 154 wH/mile is 6.49 miles/kWh. If we assume a 72kWh usable capacity in my car, that's 467 miles of range if I kept that up. Lol.

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Re: EV driving efficiency

Post by Joeboy »

About 4.5 miles per kWh is our average. Sometimes 5 but that's a quirk I think. Congrats Dan, you made the 500th post! :)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

It just says to me that a large vehicle with massive motor power BHP equivalent, regardless of how clean it is & all that isn't really a well placed city vehicle, & roll on the smaller car design uptake for heavily choked modern city environments.

I often wonder how a city wide (NO on street parking ban would clear the landscape up, travel times, & vehicle choice, especially in cities & paid for by the room they take up like a size class, over a 10-15 year period)

Also what the energy returns on a Honda-E would be on the same route.
Or a new gen. not yet released electric smart.
(Don't think it will be much longer before tesla drop the exterior wing mirror & go Honda route)

What are the regular stats for metropolitan e-drivers? (there must be some site logging data amongst a group) as it does show the smaller battery, stop start frugality & realism of EV efficiency potential compared to the perception of needing a whacking large battery, thus scaling down.

Would you have bought a smaller footprint model if Tesla offered it at the time, to achieve the same / better watts per mile outcome for instance?

Afterthought: Are you getting paid per mile for travel? ..quids in at that rate.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

6.49 miles/kWh is a petrol MPG equivalent of 262MPGe.
My overall lifetime efficiency after 16k miles is 3.56miles/kWh, 144MPGe, which obviously includes a lot of much faster driving over longer distances than just my 30 mile commute.

The official quoted efficiency figures for the Honda-e are an average consumption of 3.6miles/kWh. I don't know any Honda-e drivers so can't say if that's actually achieved in the real world or not.

The Model 3 is the right size for my needs - I have a family of 4 which includes two teenage sons. The car gets used for my commuting, but also lugging bikes to my triathlon races, and long-distance family road trips. I don't have a charge point at home, so very much appreciate the large battery capacity and the real world 250-300mile range I can get from it without even thinking about it.

So no I wouldn't be looking for a smaller car. Actually if Telsa were to make an estate version of the 3 that would suit me even better.

I am slightly surprised that Tesla didn't offer a camera wing mirror set-up for the refreshed Model S/X platform. But then it's quite noticeable that most eTrons have regular mirrors - I think it's a £2000 upgrade on the Audi SUV and I guess most people don't think it's worth paying for.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Hang on Dan, are you not still running a cable out onto the street? a granny plug is still a home charger point by way of opportunity.
(or has the council put paid to that)?

Faster (typical) paid for charging speeds are changing perception once more of range versus pit stop down time (I begrudge the price of a naff coffee & 40p per kWh of charge) ..surely this is the time that government like in "sunny" Dundee? have done with their big public charger battery solar ought get on board now, revenue stream offer practical time based smart pricing charging tariffs.

Would your choice change if you paid by the foot for parking outside your home & on the street based on inputted number plate V5 designation of road space, length, width etc, that's got to be a consideration for accruing more tax stealthily by councils eventually. (on top of of so called road tax)

We would definitely have gone smaller if we could have got away from it, after all most cars have 4 seats, but country living & work miles meant the SR+ was the only option in 2020/1

Mostly 1 person in it, vexing.

Plus we hate not having a hatchback. seems alien & impractical waste of upward piling rear space, (amply demonstrated by loading the smart fortwo) thank goodness for the frunk.

Planning our drive to France now, (best start advertising a covid tested lift share space) if the Delta wave or simple politics doesn't kill travel opportunities, our time driving in Canada leaves us guilt ridden if we don't fill space in a practical manner where possible, snow & mountain terrain quickly got the wife over the hump of offering lifts to strangers)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I haven't done the pavement cable gauntlet for about 6 months now to be honest - I really only did it when there was an Agile plunge just to get the most out of that, and there have been basically none of those this year. And indeed I've now switched to Octopus Go.

I get what you're saying about driving a big car with just one person in it most of the time. But for me if I were to get, let's say, the Smart 4 Two electric, I'd still need the Tesla for those other journeys. Which means I'd end up with two cars and not one, both of which would be under-utilised even more. I'm not sure that's the right response either.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:45 am Actually if Telsa were to make an estate version of the 3 that would suit me even better.
dan_b wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:45 am I am slightly surprised that Tesla didn't offer a camera wing mirror set-up for the refreshed Model S/X platform.
You're up against "designed in America" on both of those points. Americans stoped buying estate cars ("wagons" in their parlance) many years ago. And electronic wing mirrors aren't allowed in America...

I think that an estate car is the best shape. But no real estate EV yet (The MG5 is a hatchback as far as I'm concerned!). I'm thinking of buying a Passat PHEV but would rather an EV...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

dan_b wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:37 pm I haven't done the pavement cable gauntlet for about 6 months now to be honest - I really only did it when there was an Agile plunge just to get the most out of that, and there have been basically none of those this year. And indeed I've now switched to Octopus Go.

I get what you're saying about driving a big car with just one person in it most of the time. But for me if I were to get, let's say, the Smart 4 Two electric, I'd still need the Tesla for those other journeys. Which means I'd end up with two cars and not one, both of which would be under-utilised even more. I'm not sure that's the right response either.
I get it, thus the thread on N******* trying out every possible variant of what was available & still ending up with the model 3 (the phrase in our house when explaining modern EV being "all roads lead to tesla" ) & the anguish at the utter ignorance of the sales staff for all other EV offerings (even at our local Nissan garage)

By "need" do you mean mainly convenient to lifestyle? If you've got a valuable bike I'd also prefer to have it in the vehicle, but one or two more rapid charge stops on a long journey abroad we could live with though as part of the enjoying the cuisine.

The shift in material to carbon neutrality of modern e.v. production build is a massive difference compared to ICE but big cars are still just that, more resources,
Mining, refining, transportation etc, how will it affect the perception of the BIG SUV brigade in coming years? as manufacturers are gearing up for ever bigger EV's going more mainstream based on "what the customer wants" marketing, that doesn't effectively help reducing energy load (going electric) following the same inefficiency dynamic of the ICE principal as an excuse to carry on producing big "tyred" monoliths methinks.

"but it's EV, so it must be ok" (blindness) a bit like a mitsubishi SUV hybrid being an energy guzzling donkey but ok as it has a small battery that doesn't get it far as it has to push all that weight through the wind.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

dan_b wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:45 am I am slightly surprised that Tesla didn't offer a camera wing mirror set-up for the refreshed Model S/X platform.
You're up against "designed in America" on both of those points. Americans stoped buying estate cars ("wagons" in their parlance) many years ago. And electronic wing mirrors aren't allowed in America...
[/quote]

Stinsy, the Yoke was not legal either???? ..but they got that through, so who's to say, it appears to be streamlined progress, so fingers crossed

..mind you, I'll miss hanging my coat there.
(i'd get my coat, but....)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
nowty

Post by nowty »

Talking about hanging coats and EVs, I have a funny one from the weekend EV (i3) trip to London. SWMBO had loaded up the car and was taking the first shift driving.

The car was complaining that the rear two suicide doors were not closed properly and would not start. I thought, surely she could not have closed both of them incorrectly. I checked and they both seemed perfectly closed to me, but on opening them I noticed that both the door closing mechanisms had been used by her as hanger hooks to hang two coats on hangers. The hangers had prevented the locking mechanisms closing properly. :shock:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3