iD4

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Stinsy

iD4

Post by Stinsy »

Finally ordered one. Have been talking about it for at least 6 months. VW have managed to make battery-size, motor power, and trim level unnecessarily complicated. But in the end I went for: Pro Performance Max (Big battery, mid power, 2WD, most of the toys).

Lead times are a bit silly, it is a 50:50 shot as to whether I get it before Xmas or not...

Anyone else on here got one?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
John_S

Re: iD4

Post by John_S »

Blimey, someone is taking the ssip out of you.

Having researched on autotrader on ex demonstrater pricing, I visited my local VW dealer in mid April and they were eager to sell me a VW ID4 1st edition. I was offered a reasonable trade in price (~webuyanycar quote, and you know how they lower it for any and every chip etc) on my 5 1/2 year old Outlander PHEV. I then optimistically said my price limit was £2,000 less than list price less trade-in. I was told that they had to work on it if I was flexible in colour choice and would call me in two days. I got the call back and was asked if I could narrow the difference. We agreed on £1,500 for my second choice of colour and got the car on 30 April. I am very happy both with the price of the car and the car itself.

For me the 1st edition spec better matched my specification v price requirements compared to any of the subsequent specs. Sure, a fully loaded car would have been nice, but I am canny with my money. I did not want a moon roof and could manage without electric seat controls as it will just be me driving it.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I wanted the heat pump and could only find a few stock models with one, and I wanted the grey/black seats rather then the brown/black ones the 1st edition comes with. I managed to get £4.7k off list price...

Interestingly my XC90 PHEV is going up in value at the moment so I can get more for it than I paid 2 years ago! Which seems strange but apparently there is a shortage of used cars...

How are you finding the iD4?

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
John_S

Post by John_S »

Fair enough. I decided that the heat pump was a nice to have but not an essential.

As one uses a BEV more, the cost of extra battery and heat pump compared to the benefit of saving an odd charge or two on journeys will appear less favourable. Obviously depends on expected useage, but if I were doing a lot of long distances, I might have gone for the Tesla.

I think we all want a long range but if we look rationally, would we accept less to save, say, £5,000?

John
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

The A.S. heat pump, after having that in the leaf was something we would not have gone without in our choice of small battery vehicle, & should be a major consideration for anyone prone to cold via age illness etc,

As we have the poor man's tesla, the ashp efficiency kills any range anxiety that we'd potentially see via standard heating element use, ashp is the no brainer must have in our book (so quiet too) the confirmation of the Octo-pump swung the deal in fact, however we were narked at the lack of heated steering wheel, would have helped the wife out no end, (though the rapid heating of the seats is A+ & cabin pre heat works well to make the UK need for a heated steering wheel simply sound like spoilt kid with nothing more than 1st world problems to concern themselves with.

If folk have a larger battery, dual motor then not so concerning, size has it covered, except for the fact that non ashp is stupidly inefficient design oversight for energy returns & real world mileage potential & reputation of a still minority & much maligned tech choice.

The quiet blowers via ashp add to the quieter cabin ride experience & conversationally (esp as daughter & I are both very deaf)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I remember reading someone complaining that the resistive heater in their Tesla used more power than the heat pump that heated their entire house (I know Tesla has now fixed that). The wife was concerned about being stuck in a traffic jam in winter with a fast-depleting battery.

My parents are 180 miles away, I wanted a car that could do that trip without stopping for a charge, in winter, after 5 year of battery “wear”. I get that I’m paying for, and hauling around, a big battery that I won’t need most of the time. I also go to Cornwall a couple of times a year and want the comfort of being able to go to the next charger, and the one after that, if there is a queue or the charger is out of order.

Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Remember degradation of battery appears to match charging haste, low & slow at home does it for us on the leaf with no concerns after 5 years.
Our real world concern is actually sentry mode, ..that is thirsty & energy sapping (to a frugal person) over a 24 hr period.

I suspect any 5 year concerns over a battery pack will be overblown by the time you get there.
It's a bit of an suv "tank" the id4 at first glance, whats it like in your atypical supermarket parking space?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I’m not worried about parking seeing as the iD4 is much smaller than the XC90 it is replacing, never had a problem parking the XC90. In fact the only concern is if the iD4 is big enough! Child1’s cricket bag, and Child2’s pushchair live in the boot full time currently.

Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Kids grow out of pushchairs. ..small mercy.
My snowboard bag kit is considerably bigger than cricket schmutter, yet it used to all be accommodated in the early 2000's A class merc (One up from the smart for two in essence) ..a 165 plank (not small)
& when you need to pack well compared to simply throwing stuff in you really perceive the differences which is how we found out many years ago that we could fit everything in a packed to the gills previa in the merc for our winter trips to Canada with a quiver full of boards, skis, buggy, et al,

Daughters ski's fit in the smart for two incidentally, & lady across the road fitted her baby buggy in their for two boot (albeit a modern one)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
John_S

Post by John_S »

You both may well be right regarding the heat pump.

My take on it is that I have an ~80 kWh battery and on a long journey I would have to plan to rapid charge every 2 to 3 hours. I estimated that heating the cabin would require an absolute max of 1kW power, probably half of that. Just imagine a 1 kW fan heater pushing heat into a reasonably well insulated car cabin. On that basis, especially with pre-warming the cabin when leaving home, I did not consider the extra cost to out weigh the inconvenience on what might only be 5-10 journey's a year for me.

Especially at Octopus Go's low rate and even at Ionity's stupid prices, £1000 buys a lot of miles

Time will tell.