dan_b

Herbert Diess pans Ionity

Post by dan_b »

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Re: Herbert Diess pans Ionity

Post by Stinsy »

It seems that Ionity has achieved the trifecta of: Userously expensive, disastrously unreliable, poorly located. Quite the achievement!

I'd rather walk than pay 70p/kWh!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

+1 Stinsy.

This is why I was speaking to Morrisons head P.A last week (i'm not happy at the sell off incidentally) but which petrol station do you pull into, the one @28p per litre (tesla charger cost for instance, with open access to all) or the Ionity @70p per litre? (because that;s the context for a fill they understand.

Morrisons low price per kWh = custom, dwell time, papers, coffee, fruit, snacks, pizzas cooked ..& still save money OR "QUALITY & VALUE" mantra maintained progressively.

I asked that they don't just "guess" charger implementation & adaptation from garage forecourts, nor sell it off, but consult with experienced EV owners who use their shops when chargers are free or reasonable, which renting off space to the likes of Genie or Ionity is not!

(the newer layouts for Mozzers design offers cafes with access to the outside, under cover, ideal for charger placement & dwell time as well as shopping access, ..part of Tesla's sensible remit for charger location "ideal" is access to LOO's, Drinks, foodstuffs & the like, ...so follow their lead, tie in petrol price promotions with EV charging equivalent because we spend & lose out currently, ..to think transitionally & exploit cheaply pre-existing services.

I cannot quite see Mozzers teaming up with Tesla for car park superchargers, but they have opportunity to emulate & capture a decent market share if they pull their heads out of their backsides & design well from the groundworks up.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

This is worth a read - a blog about high power charging and aiming the charge rate most appropriately for the best experience of the end user.

https://fullycharged.show/blog/is-bigge ... -charging/

It is written by someone at Osprey Charging, so not exactly un-biased, but it is worth noting that the Osprey Network is quite a different proposition to Ionity.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mr Gus wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:41 pm +1 Stinsy.

This is why I was speaking to Morrisons head P.A last week (i'm not happy at the sell off incidentally) but which petrol station do you pull into, the one @28p per litre (tesla charger cost for instance, with open access to all) or the Ionity @70p per litre? (because that;s the context for a fill they understand.

Morrisons low price per kWh = custom, dwell time, papers, coffee, fruit, snacks, pizzas cooked ..& still save money OR "QUALITY & VALUE" mantra maintained progressively.

I asked that they don't just "guess" charger implementation & adaptation from garage forecourts, nor sell it off, but consult with experienced EV owners who use their shops when chargers are free or reasonable, which renting off space to the likes of Genie or Ionity is not!

(the newer layouts for Mozzers design offers cafes with access to the outside, under cover, ideal for charger placement & dwell time as well as shopping access, ..part of Tesla's sensible remit for charger location "ideal" is access to LOO's, Drinks, foodstuffs & the like, ...so follow their lead, tie in petrol price promotions with EV charging equivalent because we spend & lose out currently, ..to think transitionally & exploit cheaply pre-existing services.

I cannot quite see Mozzers teaming up with Tesla for car park superchargers, but they have opportunity to emulate & capture a decent market share if they pull their heads out of their backsides & design well from the groundworks up.
Morrisons are in dire need of your advice IMO!

My local Tesco has 6x AC chargers (varying from 7.4k-22kW) that are completely free and a single 50kW charger at 27p/kWh. A very good deal and one that would no-doubt encourage customers to linger longer and perhaps make more purchases or visit the cafe. The Lidl across the road has a single 50kW charger priced at 27p/kWh. Both supermarkets have located the charger(s) near the front door with the family/disabled spaces.

My local Morrisons on the other hand has a single EV charger priced at 39p/kWh located at the very far end of the carpark, a long walk from the store. I've never seen anyone using it.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm This is worth a read - a blog about high power charging and aiming the charge rate most appropriately for the best experience of the end user.

It is written by someone at Osprey Charging, so not exactly un-biased, but it is worth noting that the Osprey Network is quite a different proposition to Ionity.
Whoever wrote that article fundamentally doesn't understand how EV chargers work. They can have 10x "350kW" chargers but don't need a 3.5MW power supply, a 1MW or smaller power supply could easily do the job. If 10x Taycans turn up they'll have to put up with slower charge rate, but in the real world most spaces would be empty or occupied by slower-charging vehicles.

Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

They have also forgotten(or simply ignored) the likelihood of more ‘buffer’ batteries being installed at sites. It’s not a simple problem to solve. At present, the power take (from the incoming supply), could likely exceed the average charge rate by a considerable amount.

On top of that I expect most charging stations are under-utilised at cheap night rate electricity cost. Those that are well used, at these times, must be really raking it in - if they charge daytime rates for the full 24 hours.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

He's a mechanical engineer who works at Osprey Charging.
Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:08 pm
dan_b wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm This is worth a read - a blog about high power charging and aiming the charge rate most appropriately for the best experience of the end user.

Whoever wrote that article fundamentally doesn't understand how EV chargers work. They can have 10x "350kW" chargers but don't need a 3.5MW power supply, a 1MW or smaller power supply could easily do the job. If 10x Taycans turn up they'll have to put up with slower charge rate, but in the real world most spaces would be empty or occupied by slower-charging vehicles.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 am He's a mechanical engineer who works at Osprey Charging.
Stinsy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:08 pm

Is he incompetent? Or was he intentionally trying to deceive to excuse the slow max charge-rate of his company's devices?