Tesla workers shared ‘intimate’ car camera images, ex-employees allege: ‘Massive invasion of privacy’

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
AE-NMidlands

Tesla workers shared ‘intimate’ car camera images, ex-employees allege: ‘Massive invasion of privacy’

Post by AE-NMidlands »

something for Tesla owners (or people planning to purchase)
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... GTUK_email
Cameras affixed on cars sent videos of customers and their property to the EV maker’s offices and spread ‘like wildfire’

Cameras affixed on cars sent videos of customers and their property to the EV maker’s offices and spread ‘like wildfire’
Tesla assures its millions of electric car owners that their privacy “is and will always be enormously important to us”. The cameras it builds into vehicles to assist driving, it notes on its website, are “designed from the ground up to protect your privacy”.

But between 2019 and 2022, groups of Tesla employees privately shared via an internal messaging system sometimes highly invasive videos and images recorded by customers’ car cameras, according to interviews by Reuters with nine former employees.
Some of the recordings caught Tesla customers in embarrassing situations. One ex-employee described a video of a man approaching a vehicle completely naked.
My "ordinary" car is already too complicated, glad I haven't got one of these... (not that there is any intimacy in our car!)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Re: Tesla workers shared ‘intimate’ car camera images, ex-employees allege: ‘Massive invasion of privacy’

Post by Mr Gus »

& whilst I have not approached the car naked "yet" this highlights the stupidity we encountered with the request for footage of our time before last hit & run that the tesla did not record at any level) ...the hotel manager does not want to hand over any footage whatsoever, regardless of having blurred out any identifiers (as requested for presentation to tesla for their non functioning sh1t-mobile technology that flogs a lot of vehicles for them, ..it is very unlikely (& there is a decent legal argument available highlighting that handing it over to the insurance means you are likely handing footage over to someone who is not trained to handle (respect) the data accordingly ..so the difference handing to man on the street is no different to anyone else!

Flippin Flowery Sun-hats.

No surprise that data given is data misused, the pre-conception of compliance is about as realistic as pink flying unicorns.
This is the modern world where people give not many damns about what they give up & those that don't are deemed cranks, this has happened big time since the advent of the vaguely smart phone with things like "free" ringtones, & thats when your average phone users data was hijacked.
CS point of contact is the far east, ..not being anglia :roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Re: Tesla workers shared ‘intimate’ car camera images, ex-employees allege: ‘Massive invasion of privacy’

Post by Mart »

As I understand it, this is about the external cameras. The internal camera, if activated, won't upload any footage. But you can give permission for the internal camera footage to be upload in extreme circumstances, as Tesla have said that images during a crash, could be useful to see how occupants 'move'.

Of course this breaks the rule, of 'what happens in a man's garage, is the man's business only'! :?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

I am sure the is a fuse that can be removed or a wire cut.

Failing that Bluetack works well. Shuts up bleepers too.
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting article actually beyond the headline - the whole thing about image labelling for AI training...

First thing I did when I got my Tesla was to opt out of the image and video sharing. No idea if it makes a difference, but at least I chose that option.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work