China floats electric container vessel

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

China floats electric container vessel

Post by dan_b »

Well, seems like China has decided to bypass the "H2 will have a role for container shipping" bit and go straight for gigantic batteries

https://maritime-executive.com/article/ ... 0operation.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Re: China floats electric container vessel

Post by nowty »

50 MWh battery. :twisted:

The reports are saying the vessels will have the largest installed battery capacity yet placed aboard a ship. They are utilizing a containerized battery approach with 36 replaceable containers as the power source. They will swap batteries along the route with the batteries recharged at stations along the route.

Each of the ships will be powered by two 900 kW main propulsion motors. When the project was unveiled last year, COSCO said the containerized batteries would be the size of a 20-foot container with a capacity of 50,000 kWh.

In addition, they will employ a smart ship management system to increase the efficiency of the operations. It will be able to intelligently adjust energy consumption based on the needs of the ship. It will plan the speed of the voyage according to the arrival time, water flow, battery capacity, and other factors.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

50MWh batteries, and they're swappable en-route - goodness me makes you realise how much energy you need to shift a container ship!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

nowty wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:41 am50 MWh battery. :twisted:
I think it's 36 x 50 MWh batterIES.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

You can see well positioned solar & wind farm set ups along routes to service these, wonder how long before that all takes off?

(also, how long a battery swap takes)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I wonder how the wind is on the Yangzte?

https://spectrum.ieee.org/michelin-puff ... el-economy
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Paul_F wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:54 pm
No chance. :evil:
https://microgreen.ca/solar-storage-sol ... gy-storage

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:27 pm
Paul_F wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:54 pm
No chance. :evil:
https://microgreen.ca/solar-storage-sol ... gy-storage

The Tesla Megapacks are ~4MWh, and I think they are the size of the larger (40ft?) container, or possibly slightly bigger. So that suggests to me, something like 40 to 50* of those 20ft container batteries, which isn't the end of the world, especially if more space is available from removing/reducing the engine and fuel tanks.

[Edit - Actually, Paul's figure of 36, would work well, but as the number of containers to reach 50MWh?]

Similar idea in Norway last year, with autonomous cargo ships. Much smaller, but they displace road freight for the containers.

Crewless cargo: the world’s first autonomous electric cargo ship
The world’s first fully electric, completely autonomous cargo ship has successfully completed its maiden voyage in Norway, but fear not, it’s a far cry from the dramatic movie depictions of ‘ghost ships’. Frankie Youd profiles the vessel and highlights the benefits of this new technology.

The shipping industry has been pioneering new technology, ship design, and fuel types to set sail towards a greener future for shipping. Now, Norwegian chemical company Yara, has gone one step further by not only producing a zero-emission vessel, but one that is zero crew as well.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Mart

Post by Mart »

And just to prove Paul wasn't going mad, and didn't make up the number 36 - Here's another article on the ships and batts. Looks like something got lost in translation.

And So It Begins: 1,000-Kilometer Route Yangtze Container Ship With Swappable Batteries
It’s not going to run all the way on batteries it carries onboard, of course. Battery energy density is increasingly good and will be multiples of today’s in the coming years, but steaming 1,000 km upstream, even in the 3.6-kilometer-per-hour average water speed of the Yangtze, is a huge energy requirement. It doesn’t have to, as there are 30 container ports along the 2,700 kilometers of navigable waterway (about twice the length of the Mississippi and three times the length of the Rhine).

And 36 containers of batteries will be dispersed through those ports in some undoubtedly optimized pattern to allow the ship to slip into a berth and then winch depleted batteries off and charged batteries on. The containers are reported to have a capacity of 50 MWh of batteries in multiple reports, which might or might not be accurate. The reason I say this is that Tesla’s original Megapack is almost exactly a standard shipping container in size, and it can store 3.9 MWh.

I suspect at some point a digit in the report of kWh capacity was slipped and it has been repeated since, and that the containers actually have 5 MWh each. Total battery capacity for the system initially is either 180 MWh or 1.8 GWh. (If anyone close to the project has confirmation one way or the other, please share.)
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
nowty

Post by nowty »

36 containers was in the original article. :roll:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage