Talk me through getting an EV

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Joeboy

Re: Talk me through getting an EV

Post by Joeboy »

openspaceman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:56 pm
Beau wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes, I think a granny charger will do us for a bit. Very rare for us to do a long trip and need a fast turnaround for another long trip.
Hi Beau how are you doing?

Granny charger may well do for a start but my experience charging my daughter's car was that the plug got hot. If I do it again I think I'd use a 16A CEE plug and get the car closer to the socket, failing that find an old fashioned 3 in plug with solid brass terminals.

The real advantage of an EV is to do with smart charging and without a smart meter you won't be able to take advantage of the best trariffs for off peak charging and daytime exporting.

My daughter managed to run the house and her car from March to October on Solar PV with 6kW installed PV and a 10kWh home battery but I cannot remember if you have a battery and inverter . The thing to be wary of with a Zappi is it needs connecting in as a separate consumer unit from the house consumer unit to prevent it parasitising the house battery (for which the work arounds are a faff otherwise).
That is a fair point on the granny chargers. They are all different. We didn't have a heat issue with the one on the leaf and the one on the ioniq 5, the tech had moved on. The charge rate was selectable on the granny charger transformer . That was a pleasant surprise

We had the leaf for a couple of years with no issue and by necessity charged every day. There may also be onboard vehicle limitations and also wiring variables in homes. Defo worth looking out for on early ownership.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 15MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Beau

Post by Beau »

openspaceman wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:56 pm
Beau wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:08 pm

Yes, I think a granny charger will do us for a bit. Very rare for us to do a long trip and need a fast turnaround for another long trip.
Hi Beau how are you doing?

Granny charger may well do for a start but my experience charging my daughter's car was that the plug got hot. If I do it again I think I'd use a 16A CEE plug and get the car closer to the socket, failing that find an old fashioned 3 in plug with solid brass terminals.

The real advantage of an EV is to do with smart charging and without a smart meter you won't be able to take advantage of the best trariffs for off peak charging and daytime exporting.

My daughter managed to run the house and her car from March to October on Solar PV with 6kW installed PV and a 10kWh home battery but I cannot remember if you have a battery and inverter . The thing to be wary of with a Zappi is it needs connecting in as a separate consumer unit from the house consumer unit to prevent it parasitising the house battery (for which the work arounds are a faff otherwise).
Hi Andrew

Yes, we are doing alright.

I will get a 7.5 kWh charging point as plenty of mentions of people having regular plugs overheating. Also, Zappi seems a safe bet and easy to use with PV which we hope to add to in the medium term. It's dead easy to wire straight to the consumer unit as it would only need 2 meters of cable to get to a good spot for the wall box. Going to keep plugging away at Octopus on the smart meter.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Beau wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:37 am [

I will get a 7.5 kWh charging point as plenty of mentions of people having regular plugs overheating. Also, Zappi seems a safe bet and easy to use with PV which we hope to add to in the medium term. It's dead easy to wire straight to the consumer unit as it would only need 2 meters of cable to get to a good spot for the wall box. Going to keep plugging away at Octopus on the smart meter.
Ideally you would be better having the Zappi on a dedicated consumer unit; the reason being if you fit PV and a hybrid inverter and battery in future the inverter current transformer ,which senses when your main consumer unit's load is satisfied and the home battery is full, is before the Zappi. Otherwise the Zappi looks like another household load and can discharge the house battery. There are work rounds but they can be a faff.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I know its got a couple of marks on it but that's an awful lot of EV for 8 grand?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225921976208 ... R-bCpfCSYw
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 15MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:49 pm I know its got a couple of marks on it but that's an awful lot of EV for 8 grand?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225921976208 ... R-bCpfCSYw
Thanks Joeboy, that's an absolute steal. Surely it's worth more than that as a storage battery alone!
It will certainly be interesting to find out what it eventually sells for.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

To save you all looking it made £8100
George
1750w Vertical PV micro inverters
3800w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Andy

Post by Andy »

ecogeorge wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:32 pm To save you all looking it made £8100
George
:rofl: I was just clicking as I saw your post. Wish I had that money sitting around right now.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Get used to standing in the wind and rain trying to get the app to work/recognise the car.

That’s my experience now since Octopus have taken over control of the charging and since VW updated their shit app.
Beau

Post by Beau »

openspaceman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:38 pm

Ideally you would be better having the Zappi on a dedicated consumer unit; the reason being if you fit PV and a hybrid inverter and battery in future the inverter current transformer ,which senses when your main consumer unit's load is satisfied and the home battery is full, is before the Zappi. Otherwise the Zappi looks like another household load and can discharge the house battery. There are work rounds but they can be a faff.
Well, the deposit is paid so our new EV adventure will soon begin. Is it best to get a tethered or un-tethered Zappi? The car does come with a cable but it lives under the floor in the boot. Will chat to the sparky about a separate consumer unit to future-proof the system.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Beau wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:37 am
openspaceman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:38 pm

Well, the deposit is paid so our new EV adventure will soon begin. Is it best to get a tethered or un-tethered Zappi? The car does come with a cable but it lives under the floor in the boot. Will chat to the sparky about a separate consumer unit to future-proof the system.
I’d go tethered!

You don’t want to be getting the dirty cable in and out of your car every day. Best to leave the cable in the boot for use at hotels/holiday homes or other public AC charging points.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)