Talk me through getting an EV

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Yuff

Re: Talk me through getting an EV

Post by Yuff »

Stinsy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:18 am
Beau wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:37 am
openspaceman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:38 pm

Ideally you would be better having the Zappi on a dedicated consumer unit; the reason being if you fit PV and a hybrid inverter and battery in future the inverter current transformer ,which senses when your main consumer unit's load is satisfied and the home battery is full, is before the Zappi. Otherwise the Zappi looks like another household load and can discharge the house battery. There are work rounds but they can be a faff.
Well, the deposit is paid so our new EV adventure will soon begin. Is it best to get a tethered or un-tethered Zappi? The car does come with a cable but it lives under the floor in the boot. Will chat to the sparky about a separate consumer unit to future-proof the system.
I’d go tethered!

You don’t want to be getting the dirty cable in and out of your car every day. Best to leave the cable in the boot for use at hotels/holiday homes or other public AC charging points.
I’ll second that, definitely tethered…..
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
nowty

Post by nowty »

Plus 1 for tethered.
16.9kW PV > 105MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 21MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Andy

Post by Andy »

Tethered and if you have more than one position possible on the drive. ie multi cars I'd also highly recommend go for the longest cable option available.
richbee

Post by richbee »

openspaceman wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:38 pm
Beau wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:37 am [

I will get a 7.5 kWh charging point as plenty of mentions of people having regular plugs overheating. Also, Zappi seems a safe bet and easy to use with PV which we hope to add to in the medium term. It's dead easy to wire straight to the consumer unit as it would only need 2 meters of cable to get to a good spot for the wall box. Going to keep plugging away at Octopus on the smart meter.
Ideally you would be better having the Zappi on a dedicated consumer unit; the reason being if you fit PV and a hybrid inverter and battery in future the inverter current transformer ,which senses when your main consumer unit's load is satisfied and the home battery is full, is before the Zappi. Otherwise the Zappi looks like another household load and can discharge the house battery. There are work rounds but they can be a faff.
That sounds a bit pants - having to fit a separate consumer unit - what if you sometimes actually want to charge it from the battery? Is it OK if you set the timers on the Zappi & the inverter to charge the car and not discharge the battery at the same time? But then not sure how you would make it only use the surplus export solar.......
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
richbee

Post by richbee »

Sorry to hijack slightly - does anyone have a bi-directional charger, for using V2H? If so, which one
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

richbee wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:03 pm
That sounds a bit pants - having to fit a separate consumer unit - what if you sometimes actually want to charge it from the battery? Is it OK if you set the timers on the Zappi & the inverter to charge the car and not discharge the battery at the same time? But then not sure how you would make it only use the surplus export solar.......
You don't have to have a separate consumer unit, my daughter doesn't so she has to set and " export margin" on the Zappi of 100W to prevent the battery discharging, this means the solar PV must be exporting 100W before the Zappi will divert to the car, this 100W is never reached until the home battery is full. Trouble is that if the car is still charging as the sun goes down it can still discharge the home battery and in summer that 100W can add up to about 1kWh of export to grid.

I guess most hybrid inverters can be set to force discharge, so if the car was still demanding a charge the force discharge could supply up to the inverter's limits to do so, I cannot see a scenario where one might want to do that.

In the current situation with intelligent Octopus it doesn't pay to charge an EV with solar PV generation as selling it on export pays better.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:05 pm Sorry to hijack slightly - does anyone have a bi-directional charger, for using V2H? If so, which one
I didn't know there were such things? On our EV I plug in an adapter to the charging port of the EV. That has a 3 pin receptacle on it.

I plug in an extension reel to it to bring the power into the house. It does seem logical to have an interface (wall charger) that can act as a hybrid inverter using the EV batteries as a source of home power. Is there an example out there?
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 15MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:48 am
richbee wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:05 pm Sorry to hijack slightly - does anyone have a bi-directional charger, for using V2H? If so, which one
I didn't know there were such things? On our EV I plug in an adapter to the charging port of the EV. That has a 3 pin receptacle on it.

I plug in an extension reel to it to bring the power into the house. It does seem logical to have an interface (wall charger) that can act as a hybrid inverter using the EV batteries as a source of home power. Is there an example out there?
https://wallbox.com/en_uk/quasar-2-bidi ... ev-charger
Maybe they are not as common as I thought, with all of the cars starting to have V2H capability. eg. Nissan Leaf has had it since 2013 - so how has anyone accessed the battery capacity without a special charger?
Joeboy I have seen the Ioniq 5 brochure which mentions the output plug for charging things.
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I have the same plug in system as JB for my EV6

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

There's a huge difference between DC-based V2G systems (like is possible with the OG Leaf), which require a compatible and expensive DC converter in your home, and the more recent AC-based "Vehicle to Load" systems which we're seeing with the recent Ioniq 5 and a few others, which can push power through a Type 2 AC adapter.

richbee wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:52 am
Joeboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:48 am

https://wallbox.com/en_uk/quasar-2-bidi ... ev-charger
Maybe they are not as common as I thought, with all of the cars starting to have V2H capability. eg. Nissan Leaf has had it since 2013 - so how has anyone accessed the battery capacity without a special charger?
Joeboy I have seen the Ioniq 5 brochure which mentions the output plug for charging things.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work