Kerosene (Heating Oil) in a tractor?

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
ecogeorge

Re: Kerosene (Heating Oil) in a tractor?

Post by ecogeorge »

Historically used veg oil @ 5% in any diesel engine with no problems ..............but ....... no longer financially attractive.
May have once known someone who once got 35k on red diesel :o :o :shock:
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I know someone who ran a VW ICE engine on 100% used chip fat oil (until it got too expensive). One needs a fuel pump that does not use the fuel as lubrication and then to get to get from 50% to 100% you need to change the injectors. Always smells of the chippy.

I ran my MF 35 on heating oil because i had to scrap the tank. Little did i know the tank was letting in water and so as i used the fuel the water content was increasing and eventually stopped. One can just about run a old MF with its very low compression on anything but performance could be something else. I would start with a 50/50 mixture diesel and heating oil and go fro there.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Going back to the old forum who remembers Frotter and his exploits running on Lard !!! :D
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

The manual for our barge Detroit diesel 6-71 says it can run on kerosene, but we haven't tried. They are very simple, noisy and smoky two stroke engines, it's always a bit embarrassing turning the engine over without a strong wind to blow the smoke away quickly, kerosene would probably be better.. :idea:
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

ecogeorge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:59 pm Going back to the old forum who remembers Frotter and his exploits running on Lard !!! :D
The moo van and Frotter towers was an epic thread, Frotter does frequent the forum now and again I think as I am sure he mentioned that the speccy one had wondered off to New Zealand.

Didn't he have a heater in his lard tank to prevent the fuel filter blocking ?

Moxi
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

AlBargey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:46 pm The manual for our barge Detroit diesel 6-71 says it can run on kerosene, but we haven't tried. They are very simple, noisy and smoky two stroke engines, it's always a bit embarrassing turning the engine over without a strong wind to blow the smoke away quickly, kerosene would probably be better.. :idea:
I doubt it, K60 engines seem to smoke worse on kerosene, white smoke rather than black which normally indicates unburnt fuel or lubrication oil. Yours is only piston ported for the inlet but still scope for the air flow to entrain lubricant.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery