Kerosene (Heating Oil) in a tractor?

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Tinbum

Re: Kerosene (Heating Oil) in a tractor?

Post by Tinbum »

openspaceman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:15 am Better still give it to a military vehicle enthusiast with a K60
I had a K60 engine that I was going to put in a vehicle. Absolutely fantastic engine. Took a bit of gettering used to the principle of having 2 pistons per cylinder, the RPM it could do and the acceleration.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

Is that K60 engine using the same principle as the Napier Deltic with two opposed pistons per combustion chamber.

Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Yes but only 2 crankshafts.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
smegal

Post by smegal »

I'm sure there'll be online resources that will say how much 2 stroke oil would be needed to replace the missing lubricity.

I'd only risk it on a low value tractor though.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Tinbum wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:50 am Yes but only 2 crankshafts.
Only the bottom one puts out power, the top is less robust for timing purposes. They burn a lot of lube oil and were a poor compromise over a straight diesel, in order to satisfy NATO requirements for multifuel.

A local chap stuck one in a stalwart and attempted to circumnavigate the Isle of Wight, we waved him off and never got to see him again, though only because we went home and then he emigrated.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

openspaceman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:15 am Gas oil, red diesel and 35 sec heating oil are the same thing as DERV but with the dye and possibly other marker added. Kerosene and 28 sec heating oil are lighter fractions and ignite more easily, I wouldn't have any qualms about using up to 30% in a direct injection diesel tractor. Better still give it to a military vehicle enthusiast with a K60 or L60 multifuel engine which are designed to burn anything from gasoil through avtur to 85 octane petrol (rather poorly).

Common rail diesel would be too risky for me to try.

TVO was something between low octane petrol and old fashioned esso blue paraffin. Enthusiasts try and replicate it by mixing but it is not the same as the cut from the refinery which was not a blend but a particular fraction.
Close. 3 out of 4 are (well were) the same. 28 and 35 second Redwood are
distinctly different fractions.

Different rules, these days, as the ‘customer and exercise’ mob want more revenue. Derv must be low sulphur for road use and many on-site vehicles are now required to use Derv. Rules, I believe, are different for private use.

Kerosene likely has insufficient lubricity to run in diesel engines and may adversely affect nozzles if used at 100%. Usual was to add up to about a third to diesel in very cold weather to improve starting and avoid waxing.

The typical TVO recipe was 3 1/2 Kerosene, 1 Petrol and 1/2 Diesel. I used that recipe for years - but could use 100% kerosene, with no problem, if working hard (ploughing?) with my main tractor. One needs a good manifold arrangement to avoid spidering the spark plugs when running on lighter loads.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oliver90owner wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:50 pm
Close. 3 out of 4 are (well were) the same. 28 and 35 second Redwood are
distinctly different fractions.

Different rules, these days, as the ‘customer and exercise’ mob want more revenue. Derv must be low sulphur for road use and many on-site vehicles are now required to use Derv. Rules, I believe, are different for private use.

Kerosene likely has insufficient lubricity to run in diesel engines and may adversely affect nozzles if used at 100%. Usual was to add up to about a third to diesel in very cold weather to improve starting and avoid waxing.

The typical TVO recipe was 3 1/2 Kerosene, 1 Petrol and 1/2 Diesel. I used that recipe for years - but could use 100% kerosene, with no problem, if working hard (ploughing?) with my main tractor. One needs a good manifold arrangement to avoid spidering the spark plugs when running on lighter loads.
I remember my uncle starting his old Fordson tractor (on which I learnt to drive in about 1965 - at age 12) on petrol, I think. and switching over to TVO quite soon after.
It might have been a slightly later tractor that I learnt on, but their tractor was always parked in the field with a steep slope so that it could be bump-started. Woe betide you if you fluffed it!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

and woe betide the person stopped the engine without switching back to petrol for the next cold start ....
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

ecogeorge wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:40 pm and woe betide the person stopped the engine without switching back to petrol for the next cold start ....
I don't remember that bit, but it was just summer holidays that I spent there (in S Devon.)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:57 am I wouldn't go beyond a 10% mix and only if as Gareth said its an.older tractor. I ran the 1996 2.5D Bongo on a 70/30 split veg oil with no worries apart from waxes in the fuel filter.

Try advertising for sale on gumtree?
I did the same back in the mid 90's with an old Citroen AX 1.4d. 70/30 mix new veg oil/proper diesel. Ran a lot quieter but smelt like a mobile chippy van.
Did it for many years until the police, i think in Cardiff?, noticed lots of cars smelling that way and pulled them.
The media story getting in the press then meant Veg oil prices rocketted from the 27p/litre they were and it became financially not worth it anymore. Used to buy loads with the weeks shopping.
Did well over 70k miles in that car with no trouble at all. No common rail fuel system with a well worn but supposedly incapable Lucas pump, Bosch pumps supposedly better as less tight tolerances. I think most VW's of that era were ideal.
Happy days.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation