Re: Jaguar I-Pace won't stop...

Post by Mart »

Yuff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:12 am
nowty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:06 am
Yuff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:17 am

If you push the gear lever up and hold for 3 secs, the Tesla goes into neutral

Edit: hadn’t seen Dan’s reply above :)
My TM3 (LR version) does not do this.

I have just been out and tried shifting into neutral multiple times and holding for up to 15 secs and it stays in Drive.

Maybe its different on Dan's performance version or it used to but now does not with the constant software upgrades. I do have a bit of deja vu that it might have gone into neutral a long time ago, but my memory might be getting mixed up with driving the BMW i3 which definitely allows it.
I think you have to be driving, and best to try it going down a hill.
Yep, here are the 'rules':
Neutral

When in Park, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk either up or down to the first position.

When in Drive, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk up to the first position. ...

When in Reverse, shift into Neutral by briefly pushing the drive stalk down to the first position.

Just to mention the moment of doubt I had when we picked up our Tesla 3 in 2020. It was Covid, so nobody around to help. I got in, pushed down for drive, and it went to neutral, tried a few times, and kept failing. Then realised I was being too gentle, and the stalk is a bit like an indicator with a 'soft' move, and a 'hard' move, if you pushed it a bit further, which activated drive. I did feel rather silly, but panic (that we had a dodgy car) was over.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart, we are talking about when the car's moving at speed and not stationary or moving very slowly.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:49 am Mart, we are talking about when the car's moving at speed and not stationary or moving very slowly.
Keep your foot on the throttle ( down hill) push lever up to resistance and hold against the resistance point for 3 secs.
Car will go into neutral while holding lever stick up.
If you let go of the lever too soon it stays in Drive.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
nowty

Post by nowty »

Yuff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:05 am
nowty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:49 am Mart, we are talking about when the car's moving at speed and not stationary or moving very slowly.
Keep your foot on the throttle ( down hill) push lever up to resistance and hold against the resistance point for 3 secs.
I was not going down hill but I did try it both with throttle on and off and I could not get it into drive no matter how long I held the lever up at the resistance point. I'll have to find a hill later and have another go.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

nowty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:36 am
I was not going down hill but I did try it both with throttle on and off and I could not get it into drive no matter how long I held the lever up at the resistance point. I'll have to find a hill later and have another go.
It might be I take my foot off the accelerator whilst going downhill and hold the lever up. The car slows using regen and then starts freewheeling when N kicks in.
I do know when I first tried it was difficult to get it to go into neutral but when you know it works it becomes easier
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Mart

Post by Mart »

Yuff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 pm

It might be I take my foot off the accelerator whilst going downhill and hold the lever up. The car slows using regen and then starts freewheeling when N kicks in.
I do know when I first tried it was difficult to get it to go into neutral but when you know it works it becomes easier
I think you have to come off the power, but I'm not 100% sure.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Mart wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:22 am I got in, pushed down for drive, and it went to neutral, tried a few times, and kept failing. Then realised I was being too gentle, and the stalk is a bit like an indicator with a 'soft' move, and a 'hard' move, if you pushed it a bit further, which activated drive. I did feel rather silly, but panic (that we had a dodgy car) was over.
I bough a new second hand lorry and when I came to at stop at the first roundabout on a main duel carriageway I did the usual thing of pushing the clutch, engaging gear, slowly releasing the clutch while pressing the accelerator down only to find the accelerator wouldn't move. It took me a few minutes of reading the manual to realise I was doing it wrong. :oops: :facepalm: I'm not sure why it hadn't done it before- possibly the electric relay was stuck or the air valve solenoid was stuck..

It actually has a clutch and a torque converter and the clutch is not designed for slipping so it has an air ram on the actual accelerator peddle that stops you pushing it if you also have your foot on the clutch. So you press the clutch, engage gear with foot on the brake, release clutch, release brake and press accelerator. Similar when changing gear on the move- just without pressing the brake!
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
nowty

Post by nowty »

Mart wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:03 pm

I've had another go and yes it does go into N whilst at speed. I was confused about "resistance point", thinking that was holding it full on. :facepalm:

You need to only pull the stalk up half way and it goes into N after about 2 secs. If you pull it all the way you get the error message and it never shifts.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:27 pm
Mart wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:03 pm

I've had another go and yes it does go into N whilst at speed. I was confused about "resistance point", thinking that was holding it full on. :facepalm:

You need to only pull the stalk up half way and it goes into N after about 2 secs. If you pull it all the way you get the error message and it never shifts.
LOL, hadn't thought of that. So in effect, my failings to get the new car into gear, helped to teach you how to get one, out of gear. So not as easy/intuitive as I'd thought, despite 'being there' so to speak, myself.

The Tesla guidance also says that you can put the car into park (whilst driving) by holding the stalk button in ...... but it stresses that this is not good for the car, and only for use in an extreme emergency ......... no shit! :fan:
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Sounds like the guy has been arrested for wasting police time - so maybe there was no problem with the car after all!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW