3rd party branded Tesla v4 Superchargers

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Moxi

Re: 3rd party branded Tesla v4 Superchargers

Post by Moxi »

resybaby wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:55 am This overinflated charging cost is the reason we retain our diesel.
Most of our driving is upto Midlands to see family, and quite regularly done, so i need to be able to do circa 500 miles in total (250 each way) from Cornwall. Just cant do that in an EV, without being ripped off to recharge on the way.
Parents dont have (nor want as they dont think they will see a payback at their age) solar and i feel its beyond cheeky to pop in to say 'hi can i plug my car in and run your leccy bill up' when visiting, so has to be diesel for me, unfortunately.
Unless youre staying overnight the granny charger wouldn’t do enough anyway. If you are staying over then it’s well worth it as you can give them the cash and do an additional payment to their leccy account so it doesn’t mess up direct debit rates. We do that occasionally when visiting friends and family.

Better to pay 5% VAT than 20% at the public chargers although I do see a day when they charge 20% for home charging cars as the new requirement for smart chargers and smart meters makes it easier to discern car charging from domestic use.

Moxi
Krill

Post by Krill »

Moxi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 am Better to pay 5% VAT than 20% at the public chargers although I do see a day when they charge 20% for home charging cars as the new requirement for smart chargers and smart meters makes it easier to discern car charging from domestic use.

Moxi
And how, technically speaking, could one verify 20% for home charging cars for those that charge off home generation when they is both home batteries and the potential for V2G?
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

The problem is the government don’t know what they want and how they are going to achieve it.
They have no discernible strategy but everyone knows they need the revenue they are losing road tax, fuel duty etc
They need to nail their colours to the mast so that customers can plan how to best navigate this situation going forward.
What is the point of someone paying the same as a diesel driver, on the road, for a vehicle that still costs more, needs more planning to get longer distances and comes with an amount of inconvenience.
A plethora of free public charging a couple of years ago made this trade off worthwhile, the trade off is gradually reducing and the carrot replaced with a stick……..
:oO:
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Krill wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:32 am
Moxi wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 am Better to pay 5% VAT than 20% at the public chargers although I do see a day when they charge 20% for home charging cars as the new requirement for smart chargers and smart meters makes it easier to discern car charging from domestic use.

Moxi
And how, technically speaking, could one verify 20% for home charging cars for those that charge off home generation when they is both home batteries and the potential for V2G?
I would think that’s easy ? Smart meter gross import minus smart charger import = electricity to car at 20% VAT, in my mind that’s the main reason they stopped dumb charger installation for homes.

Moxi
Krill

Post by Krill »

But that's the challenge? Just use a granny charger. And what happens about V2G? The point of a vehicle is it moves, so what about vehicles that are charged at one point and then discharged at another, possibly for export, or just to run another house? And the method you have identifies requires energy companies have access to the smart meters, what about the houses that are outside the network?

There are an awful lot of edge cases that policy needs to account for. OTOH the treasury never gives a damn about that if it means they can get their grubby hands on more money so I do see your point.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

They won’t worry about edge cases as long as they get the masses. They never completed the gas grid for the same reasons- they had enough people covered for their needs no thought for those inconvenienced by not being on the gas grid.

If anyone can afford two houses and a big EV just to keep one house off grid then they’re probably already an MP and this will not be the only edgy thing they are doing 🤣

As noted before - government is looking down the barrel of a massive loss in fuel duty, they cannot afford to lose that level of income and so they will be intent on redeploying the duty by other means - we just have to wait and see what their appetite is for low public opinion and possibly mass civil unrest - remember the poll tax ? Who knows what if they turned around in twenty years and put a tax on solar panels on houses, they once did that for windows so it’s not beyond possibility.

It’s conjecture apart from the fact that government WILL need their alternative income stream.

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Bit of a thread swerve - I thought it interesting that this is the first deployment of v4 superchargers anywhere that aren’t Tesla branded. Does the operator run any other types of chargers anywhere else?

Wonder if they have to pay a commission to Tesla for each charging session? Or some other type of fee?

Does it appear in the Tesla App as a Supercharger or even as one of the suggested non-Tesla high power chargers?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We had a 40kWh charge at Chargeplace Scotland on Heriot row this morning. Much the same volume as at Gridserve Kinross.

£22 Chargeplace Scotland (120 miles range)
£31.60 Gridserve Kinross (120 miles range)

We did 370 miles total on that trip and left Aberdeenshire fully charged Friday lunchtime.

I like that Tesla has a floating price structure based on time and demand. Although didn't use them this trip due to horrendous Q's nearby. The massive high speed charging station at Asda Dundee on the city bypass is coming on well. Looks like about 2 dozen chargers going in there. Dundee is very EV friendly and going full fat LEZ in May 24. :D

https://motorway.co.uk/sell-my-car/guides/dundee-lez

I'll have to pop in past Perth Broxburn soon and see if they have finished the EV charger build there which is part PV roof supplied. Anyone been past lately?

Edit- Just checked Zapmap and they say Broxden P&R EV charge station is open 30p per kWh. That's more like it. :lol:

I don't mind paying towards infrastructure, maintenance and a reasonable company profit margin but some of these EV charging companies (Gridserve, Ionity) take the piss. Where's the fluctuating pricing depending on grid RE supply? The fuel companies at least make some effort ( albeit slow and latchy for falls but right there for rises). Anyone know of any companies that practice dynamic pricing based on 6 hourly conditions?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Does anyone know the cost of a high power charger? Not for install/grid connection/maintenance, just the actual hardware cost per stall of (let's say) a 150kW DC pump?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Post by nowty »

dan_b wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:01 pm Does anyone know the cost of a high power charger? Not for install/grid connection/maintenance, just the actual hardware cost per stall of (let's say) a 150kW DC pump?
About £15k
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 16785.html
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3