Tesla to open the entire UK Supercharger network to 3rd party EVs

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

Tesla to open the entire UK Supercharger network to 3rd party EVs

Post by dan_b »

https://electrek.co/2022/03/30/tesla-op ... owners-uk/

This is quite an announcement if true. I know the trials have shown that the app-based approach works, and the CCS comms are seemingly reliable with 3rd party EVs, but they've also shown that parking and bay blocking is an issue for vehicles without the charge ports on the right side (that is the left rear!).

Also that the growth in number of Tesla EVs is also massive and even Tesla Supercharger sites are often pretty busy now. And a lot of new Tesla owners also don't understand the difference between a v2 or a v3 Supercharger, that the Model 3/Y can charge faster at a v3, and that the v2s power-share if you plug in next to one already in use...
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Re: Tesla to open the entire UK Supercharger network to 3rd party EVs

Post by Joeboy »

Saw this the other day, here's hoping!

Just to hope that people use correctly, don't leave blocked etc. AT least when the network was exclusive you knew who'd be beside you and hopefully their awareness level.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I've seen a lot of very upset Tesla owners moaning about this! Their problem seems to be primarily that part of what they paid for when purchasing a Tesla is the exclusivity of access to the Supercharger network.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Tesla seem to have a very oblique view of what good customer service and relations looks like?

surely its got to be affecting their sales to some extent, these days whenever I see the Tesla brand against something I tend to avoid which is a shame because they are very innovative just unreliable in their dealings with customers and customers property in my opinion.

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

As a Tesla owner, I feel like this is the "right thing to do" for the greater good of enabling wider EV adoption. And having recently experienced just how awful non-Tesla rapid charging actually is, I think ultimately it'll end up creating more sales for Tesla. But I also completely get the "it's my Supercharger Network, go away e-Tron heathen" feeling!

Sure there are a lot of Teslas out there, but there are a lot of Tesla Supercharger sites and most of them are not fully utilised 24/7. And Tesla is heavily involved in a large expansion of the Supercharger network more generally as well.

What I have seen online is that there can be issues with the open access stalls with cars that have charge ports in locations other than back-left. Clearly there is work to do there - and maybe a solution for Tesla is to open up a selected number of stalls at each location which have the best/easiest/most flexible access, and for those stalls to be modified with longer cables to accommodate different locations. That obviously comes at an additional cost to Tesla per site, but would help I'm sure.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Has there been any further news on this move to allow access by 3rd party EV owners ?

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Tesla has expanded the open access trial in Norway to include a significant number of additional sites, but nothing that I've seen about the trial in the UK. They're also now planning how to open up their US Superchargers, which is a lot more difficult given the wider diversity of non-compatible connectors in the US - this is worth a quick read (and mentions the UK).

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/elon-mus ... v-adoption
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:31 pm Tesla has expanded the open access trial in Norway to include a significant number of additional sites, but nothing that I've seen about the trial in the UK. They're also now planning how to open up their US Superchargers, which is a lot more difficult given the wider diversity of non-compatible connectors in the US - this is worth a quick read (and mentions the UK).

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/elon-mus ... v-adoption
My understanding is that it is impossible to open the supercharger network in the US! Tesla still use their proprietary connector in the US. A huge number of public AC charging points in the US have the Tesla connector so many non-Tesla EV owners carry an adapter. Obviously this wouldn't work for DC charging.

So unless Tesla is willing to equip their Superchargers with CCS opening up the Supercharger network is no-go.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mart

Post by Mart »

Adaptors for non-Tesla's to use the US Tesla superchargers are on the way, here's one that's already taking orders, but of course I appreciate until they arrive (and work) that's not the same as saying it's sorted:

Tesla to CCS1 Adapter • Charge a non-Tesla at Supercharger
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Literally in that article I linked to

"According to Musk, Tesla is going to start adding “the rest of the industry’s connectors as an option to Superchargers in the U.S.”