Tesla to open the entire UK Supercharger network to 3rd party EVs

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
nowty

Re: Tesla to open the entire UK Supercharger network to 3rd party EVs

Post by nowty »

spread-tee wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:56 pm I think it would really help the take up of EVs if you could plug any car into any charger and pay with a card or even cash, no need to muck about with APPs or accounts etc.

Desp
The amount of time I spend getting SWMBO BMW i3 to charge because she phones me and tells me what charger she is at, so I have to find the relevant APP or she has to send me a picture of a QR code, etc.

But recently, she was with me and I showed her how to charge the Tesla in case one day she needs to. She plugged it in, and then said, "now what, there is no buttons or display or anything ?". I replied "thats it, just press the button on the in car screen when your done".

No APP ?, - "No"
No card ?, - No"
How does it do that ?, - "It just does" :lol:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Some other networks are experimenting with "plug and charge". I guess they read the mac address of the car. Obviously you need to set the car up in the app the first time you charge but thereafter hassle-free!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Would be good if the location of the charge port were standardised wouldn't it! But here are a few non-Teslas doing the Supercharger thing in the UK already.

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Worth noting that Tesla also expanded the open-access trial in a couple of other EU countries at the same time, so the programme is now running in:

Austria
Belgium
France
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
UK

Note, if you're in the UK, you can use a UK open access supercharger, but not if you then travel into another open access country...
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Argh. The CCS standard connector is an excellent idea.
But it should also be part of the design standard that the charging port location also standardised (back left) and not somewhere completely stupid like what Porsche/Audi have done with the Taycan/eTron

hoggy

Post by hoggy »

I know it's early days but I have been logging these 15 new sites at 5min intervals (which I'll do as long as I can until Tesla catch on how I'm doing it or I get a knock on the door!)
It's only the Cardiff site that really seems to be getting busy (which given I've not monitored them before may well be normal!)
19-05-2022 11:26AM to 11:46AM - 0 Stalls available
19-05-2022 11:16AM to 11:26AM - 1 Stalls available

From 10AM yesterday until 10AM today there are no other sites with <2 Stalls free.
Givenergy 5kW Hybrid, Givenergy 8.2kWh Battery, Goodwe 2.5kW DC Coupled + 3x Pylontech 2.4kWh.
6.2kW PV (JA Solar 340W x 18)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

hoggy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:11 pm I know it's early days but I have been logging these 15 new sites at 5min intervals (which I'll do as long as I can until Tesla catch on how I'm doing it or I get a knock on the door!)
It's only the Cardiff site that really seems to be getting busy (which given I've not monitored them before may well be normal!)
19-05-2022 11:26AM to 11:46AM - 0 Stalls available
19-05-2022 11:16AM to 11:26AM - 1 Stalls available

From 10AM yesterday until 10AM today there are no other sites with <2 Stalls free.
Likely to be a rush of people keen to take pictures for social media of their non-Tesla charging at a Supercharger…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Stinsy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:45 pm
Likely to be a rush of people keen to take pictures for social media of their non-Tesla charging at a Supercharger…
[/quote]

Depressingly vapid life-forms of the digital generation**. ..wonder when the mcdonalds detritus moves in!?

**will whore myself for social media "likes" **

:roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more