Artemis launch, further postponed

Moxi

Artemis launch, further postponed

Post by Moxi »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techands ... 024d49a86a

Not unexpected given the size of the thing but I suspect NASA are cringing with embarrassment for so many delays - interesting that trying to prevent Hydrogen from leaking is in fact ROCKET SCIENCE! and to think that the politicians want to pump Hydrogen enriched gas through our leaky natural gas infrastructure and in to houses ? Some of us may recall all the leaks and issues there were following transition from town gas to natural gas at thats a whole different molecular scale!

Moxi
dan_b

Re: Artemis launch, further postponed

Post by dan_b »

I think an increasing number of rocket engineers are moving towards methane as a better fuel for first stage combustion. Although its overall exhaust efficiency isn't quite as high as H2, it's higher than kerosene, burns a lot cleaner than RP1, and is significantly more dense than H2 - which means smaller tanks and less overall system weight for the same energy. Also bigger molecule so doesn't leak everywhere, and can be superchilled for densification. And of course at the moment, H2 is made from cracking natural gas anyway, and by doing so, you've spent energy to throw away the most energetic part of the CH4 molecule!

It wouldn't surprise me if Artemis only ever flies 3 or 4 times and then is quietly forgotten about, much to the embarrassment of its parents.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Re: Artemis launch, further postponed

Post by Moxi »

I do hope they find something that is reliable and cheap enough, I grew up being told that we would have a manned moon base in my lifetime and I would dearly love this to be the case as I see that as a big stepping off point for further exploration.

Moxi