Any Lister generator experts?

Kishore

Any Lister generator experts?

Post by Kishore »

Good Evening all,

I wonder if anybody can help me?

I'd like to get hold of a lister engine (thinking maybe an SR2?) to run a generator but what I'm struggling to work out is how to couple the engine to the generator head.

As I understand it, many people link the engine and the gen head with a drive belt.....if possible I'd like to couple the two together directly, like the original generator heads were coupled to the engines.

I know that there are still lots of the contemporary gen heads/alternators around, but I don't think that I have the expertise to rewind/repair one (and again, as I understand it, it's more often the genhead/alternator that goes wrong then the engine

is it possible to source a modern AVR genset that can be coupled direct to the engine via the bell housing? - I have seen some adaptors on stationaryengineparts.com but can't seem too find out the SAE size of the SR2's flywheel

also what size genset should I be looking to pair up with the SR2? (application would be to provide 230VAC for an off grid home)

many thanks for all and any help
rogeriko

Re: Any Lister generator experts?

Post by rogeriko »

I would buy an SR2 with a genset ready to go. If it has low hours, like from a standby installation it will probably outlast all of us.
Kishore

Post by Kishore »

Hi Rogeriko,
Do you know if it’s possible to retrofit and avr module to an existing genset?
And what size genset would be viable for an SR2 ?

Another one of my concerns is the genset’s wave form Not being “clean” enough for my inverter to link to it hence wanting to fit an AVR to it.
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

About 15 years ago, I bought a Lister gen. set that had been hardly used. It was a standby generator kept in a greenhouse. It worked fine for a couple of years, but then the generator part stopped working, the insulation had rotted from the sun. I bought a new alternator that matched the revs of the Lister and simply connected it to the Lister. I think I had to grind the shaft down a bit to fit the coupling..worked for years until I found it too hard to start. It was handle only and didn't have the teeth ring on the flywheel for a starter motor.
Now have an electric start Lister, again a standby generator that had about 20 hours running....

Mke
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Kishore

Post by Kishore »

thanks Mike - thats reassuring! maybe i'm overthinking it? does your lister generator have an AVR module or do all of your electronics run ok without one?
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

The generator runs through the Victron multi, which I suspect (I am no expert) sorts out any voltage indiscretions.... Any appliances that I have run directly off the generator have worked fine. Electronics might not be happy...

Mike
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Kishore

Post by Kishore »

thanks for your replies Mike - when you bought the new alternator for your engine how did you ensure that the bold pattern on the alternator matched the engine? I've ready that listers have a non standard (non SAE?) bolt pattern?
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

It was such a long time ago, I can't really remember, I think there was some jiggery pokey..
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...