Lister generator

Fintray

Re: Lister generator

Post by Fintray »

I have a scanned copy of the Lister AC electric generating plant that lists several AVR's that were used, drop me a PM and I'll email you a copy.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Fintray wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:40 am I have a scanned copy of the Lister AC electric generating plant that lists several AVR's that were used, drop me a PM and I'll email you a copy.
I'm near 100% certain that these older SR1/Brush gensets never had an AVR, I don't think that AVRs really existed back when these were made in the 1960's (could be wrong).

The one I had (made in around 1968 I think) didn't have any sort of electronics at all, and at the time I bought it all the others in the same salvage place (Macsalvors, Camborne, early 1980s) looked the same (they were all ex-MOD). The voltage/frequency regulation was a two stage affair, first the governor link to the pump rack was set so the engine ran at the right RPM (from memory I think this was 1500 rpm, may have been 1800 rpm). The output voltage was then fine tuned at full load (I think this was around 3kVA, may have been 3.5kVA) by adjusting a shunt resistor that was wired across the selenium rectifier AC terminals. This shunt resistor was a wire wound affair, with a clamp ring around it to adjust the resistance. The selenium rectifier failed on mine, giving a very low output voltage, so I replaced it with a silicon diode bridge rectifier, sold as a replacement kit specifically for these gensets at the time.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:57 am
Fintray wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:40 am I have a scanned copy of the Lister AC electric generating plant that lists several AVR's that were used, drop me a PM and I'll email you a copy.
I'm near 100% certain that these older SR1/Brush gensets never had an AVR, I don't think that AVRs really existed back when these were made in the 1960's (could be wrong).

The one I had (made in around 1968 I think) didn't have any sort of electronics at all, and at the time I bought it all the others in the same salvage place (Macsalvors, Camborne, early 1980s) looked the same (they were all ex-MOD). The voltage/frequency regulation was a two stage affair, first the governor link to the pump rack was set so the engine ran at the right RPM (from memory I think this was 1500 rpm, may have been 1800 rpm). The output voltage was then fine tuned at full load (I think this was around 3kVA, may have been 3.5kVA) by adjusting a shunt resistor that was wired across the selenium rectifier AC terminals. This shunt resistor was a wire wound affair, with a clamp ring around it to adjust the resistance. The selenium rectifier failed on mine, giving a very low output voltage, so I replaced it with a silicon diode bridge rectifier, sold as a replacement kit specifically for these gensets at the time.
My document might be a bit too "modern"; I have one for SL generating sets dated 1964 which says it has a "Manual voltage regulator - A variable resistance mounted in the wall mounted cubicle which controls the alternator output voltage", which might be more relevant?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
marshman

Post by marshman »

Have tried over on the Lister forum??

A couple of threads on there may give some pointers:

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6220.0

https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php? ... 10.0;nowap
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Fintray wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:13 am
My document might be a bit too "modern"; I have one for SL generating sets dated 1964 which says it has a "Manual voltage regulator - A variable resistance mounted in the wall mounted cubicle which controls the alternator output voltage", which might be more relevant?
That's the method my old Lister used, although the resistor was inside the box on the genset itself, next to the selenium rectifier.

From what I remember, the AC output winding was connected through the selenium bridge rectifier, which had the variable shunt resistor across it. The rough "DC" then went to energise the field windings. I may try and draw up what I think the wiring looked like, although it will be from memory, so may not be 100% correct.

Edited to add:

This is what I think the basic wiring looks like (from memory - may not be absolutely spot on). The AC output current flows through the resistor and produces a voltage to power the field windings via the selenium rectifier. Adjusting the resistor adjusts the relationship between the current being drawn from the generator and the power applied to the field windings, which is the only sort of voltage regulation these things have. Very crude, but it is pretty reliable.

Genset wiring.JPG
Genset wiring.JPG (31.07 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:27 am Post from. “ Mr Marcus “

“I'm confused - how does charging a battery keep the generator voltage above 220v?”

It does not keep the generator voltage above 220v.

But as “ Mr Openspacemann “ said.

“Why not run the generator into a charger and feed the battery directly when the washing machine is running? “

Mr “ Deanforest “

Said. “ Washing machine runs fine on battery/inverter at 230 volts which is what I have set the inverter to. “

If the generator cant be fixed. The washing can be done by charging the battery with the generator running a battery charger.
Oops!

Fair enough. I somehow missed the bit about OP having battey and inverter - was thinking they had to run off the gemny. That's what i get for reading/posting when I'm tired :oops: .
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

AGT wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:56 am Ken Boak/ power cubes used to run his lister and export the power to the house, he had underground insulted pipe work and connected the generator water tank to his central heating system.

Great days of watching that happen.
That's a name from my past, I delivered him some waste chip oil for that genset years ago. It was while we were developing a system to run a Rover ls60 off a charcoal kiln. I'm glad I wasn't his neighbour.

At that period we installed a Petter 10kVA genset at a remote schoolroom, unfortunately it was specified by a committee so never got to full potential but we did get some heat into the building from the marinised exhaust and coolant.

Now with solar PV and battery we could do so much better with a little DC generator just running a couple of hours a day.

I still intend to try this but am currently stalled until my granddaughter's boyfriend and a couple of mates can haul my additional panels onto the frame I have built on the roof for them.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

I still have a Rover 1S60 fitted to a water pump! Haven't fired it up in years, but I remember last time I did it knackered the two of us winding the starting handles. IIRC it needs to be spun up to something like 20,000rpm to start, might be fine for a couple of fit fire service bods, but damned hard work. The exhaust was just at the right height to scorch your legs, too, unless you had the pump going and the little cooling water jets spraying around the exhaust to cool it down.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Our two were 400Hz APUs and when we liquidated the company one of our sub contractors had them. Shame really as they were fun things but no real practical use for me.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

openspaceman wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:10 pm Our two were 400Hz APUs and when we liquidated the company one of our sub contractors had them. Shame really as they were fun things but no real practical use for me.
Much the same here, I've no real use for the thing, it's been stored in a barn with a load of other "may come in handy" stuff. I picked the Rover gas turbine up from the same surplus place I bought the Lister from, it's an ex-MOD "portable" fire fighting pump.