Hello from (actually) sunny Hampton

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Fintray

Re: Hello from (actually) sunny Hampton

Post by Fintray »

No wonder there is confusion as the inverter manual shows this:

where the bottom row of terminals are numbered in the opposite direction from the one in the previous post.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Even the 2 diagrams are different! Rotate one and you get the opposite sequences... Are there 2 different models/configurations being illustrated?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stuart444

Post by Stuart444 »

Success! well, partly :)

I had useful emails with Eastron yesterday. Initially they said my meter could have this output reversed, but I couldn't follow their instructions on how to do that. Eventually I had to send them a video of me trying to alter its setup and they then realised that my model of meter can't be reversed this way.

Meanwhile, I disconnected the inverter from the house and ran it with a load powered by PV. Both the normal "AC input" and "UPS" outputs worked. To my amazement I discovered that the inverter's display is misleading. Well, it was misleading me. The centre area describes the UPS output, which is why previously it was reading zero (as no loads were connected to it). The left area describes the output to the house (even though it says "UPS" above it), or rather it reports the voltage and frequency, but it does not report the current, either in or out.

To solve the meter problem, I had to remove it and rewire it the correct way round. 25mm2 wires are a pain to bend! But I managed it, and on commissioning it this morning, it is feeding AC to the house, and to the grid. It got to over 1kW to the grid on the smart meter, and 1.8kW on the Owl. Woo-hoo! That's been a long time coming. I'm not yet authorised to export, so I've now set it back to zero export.

Since then, my wife has put the washing machine on, and I'm importing 2.5kW from the grid now. The inverter is only putting out about 550-600W, and the batteries are "charging". They are full actually, there's zero charging current shown. The PV is high at 290v, and it could give much more than the 200W it's showing, According to my settings, I think it should be exporting to the house and offsetting the washing machine load, which it isn't. So I'm not quite there yet. More fiddling with the inverter's settings are needed, I think. If anyone can see anything else daft that I've done, please don't spare my blushes! :oops:

The "550-600W" is the reading from the Owl clamp-on meter, and it reads that most of the time. I'm wondering if it's misleading me. I'll wire a multimeter into the export wire and report back.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Try wiring a high load (say a kettle) to the "AC Out" and see if the batteries export to it.

Also, does the Owl meter show any output after dark on the "AC In" side. ?
Last edited by nowty on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Good to hear your making progress. Once you have it working as you want a report detailing what was wrong (and/or misleading), how it was corrected etc. would be great for the next person that has a similar problem (or several). By the way you might have gathered already we like pictures, so a few of the revised hardware will always be welcome :D
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Have you tried altering "The grid tied mode" at all?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stuart444

Post by Stuart444 »

Good morning all,
I've had a cold since yesterday, so I'm only firing on 2 cylinders :cry:
I attach a picture of my Easton as it is now. To minimise wire bending I installed it horizontal rather than vertical, but it's actually easier to read that way.
Here's a puzzle. I cut the wire from my "AC Input" to the consumer unit so that I could put a multimeter inline to see which way the current is going, as often doing sums on the values in the inverter and my smart meters don't add up. However, it reads the same whichever way I connect it! No negative sign one way as I had expected. Same result for both my multimeters. Can you tell me how to decide which way the AC is going? It's easy with DC of course, I've never had to consider this before with AC.
Attachments
P3273753.jpg
P3273753.jpg (144.07 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Stuart444 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:05 am Good morning all,
I've had a cold since yesterday, so I'm only firing on 2 cylinders :cry:
I attach a picture of my Easton as it is now. To minimise wire bending I installed it horizontal rather than vertical, but it's actually easier to read that way.
Here's a puzzle. I cut the wire from my "AC Input" to the consumer unit so that I could put a multimeter inline to see which way the current is going, as often doing sums on the values in the inverter and my smart meters don't add up. However, it reads the same whichever way I connect it! No negative sign one way as I had expected. Same result for both my multimeters. Can you tell me how to decide which way the AC is going? It's easy with DC of course, I've never had to consider this before with AC.
My understanding is that for AC you have to measure the phase difference of the voltage and current and you can work out which way the power is going, if in phase it is going one way and if out of phase it goes the opposite way. The CT's measure the current flow (and I assume phase position?) but an ammeter only tells you the current flow and not direction.
Someone should come along to give a fuller explanation.
Stuart444

Post by Stuart444 »

I'm just posting to say I'm still battling on, just not had much development since my last post.

My system seems to be working OK overall. "Seems" because I can't get a set of readings to obey Kirchhoff's first law. I've ordered another smart meter to put in line from the inverter to my house as I only partly believe the clamp-on meter, and hopefully that will help me. I've realised that the processor in the inverter is quite slow, and the readings all are somewhat delayed. So, a certain amount of screwing up my eyes to make "average" readings is necessary.

The only glaring error at the moment seems to be that the system is not importing electricity in the early morning (at the cheap rate time) to charge my batteries. The batteries are always flat in the morning, and the big inverter light (vertical bar) is flashing red even though the inverter was normal (orange light), and the batteries showing say 50% charge, the evening before. My house doesn't draw much power in the night (it was about 300-400W before the new system was switched on) so it can't use between 5 and 10 kWh overnight, so that's a puzzle at the moment.

The red light caused me panic at first, but I now think that this light just means that there's an error message to be read on the inverter's panel, and usually it is "error #4 - battery low" . So no panic really. The manual gives no indication at all about what different light signals the inverter gives out, and what they mean. Bonkers. The inverter seems to be fundamentally sound (if the above problem can be sorted out) but not designed for the consumer for easy use.