Long time no see

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Mr Gus

Re: Long time no see

Post by Mr Gus »

The etymology of the phrase is valid & a modern replacement for zealous / over zealous in this day & age regardless of tasteless application or not, just as 30 years ago I used to be met with blank looks when using the term "banter" (it too has resurfaced & somewhat morphed, badly in modern terms) ..which I hope dies out sooner, not later.

Understanding go's both ways (I think joe would have used it in a PM not on here) & it has to be factored in that people associated with religion are the ones who espoused religious crusades, & encouraged mass slaughters of "not their church viewpoint" so with a modern outlook to ancient religions many of us can well do without it altogether.

When any religion stops a woman entering a clinic to terminate an unwanted pregnancy for whatever reason I have more reason to think them "bothersome" ..it's actually Trumpian type intimidation,

Thank goodness there are women vicars nowadays, generally less hellfire, more approachability, & more inclusive humanity gets my thumbs up (& quiet respect)

I resent having to have my marriage by the rules espoused by the church (the only choice back then) with all the unwanted doctrine, ..it is bothersome when you have naff all choice within the system to just "marry"

Up in the Highlands it could be pretty dire as to "church rule" dominating everything which can forge a different view to that of elsewhere (as I mentioned even locking the roads through the village) we had to "scurry" around on a sunday & not be seen to be yelled at by various church "devotee's" for doing something as innocent as going for a restricted walk compared to that of monday to thursday it was effectively covid lockdown but without the shops, & access to a petrol pump at the behest of fear of the church elders retribution, plain wrong.

My door signage is also ignored to the point I have to send the local churches (politicians etc) letters to "cease & desist" stating "no presumed righ tof access" ..this particularly rankled the Jehovah's witnesses & I had to get nasty with them over several years, especially when being polite, frequently door-stepped & challenging views that were not agreeable & generally kept in check, to the point where it became offensive, the jehovah church placed itself above the law & stated that in written communications so I had to take it both to the law & threaten them from the top down.

They were also a risk to my sick dog & the protective pack mentality put across by our other guarding dogs who would have been put down for the sake of ignorant folk pushing their tat at us in order to gain points with their supposed deity in the sky (ignoring yet more signage)

With problems like that the term god botherer (meaning over zealous / espousing unwelcome views) etc is truly apt in some quarters.

Some of the more gang like teens I have come across in my own village were visiting christian groups, who were willing to resort to violence on christian retreats ...messed up in the heads & glassy eyed fervancy, never a good sign.

Ditto the unwelcome nature of old fella waiting at a bus stop as a ruse to push religion at school kids ..creepy as hell, it worked so negatively as far as to not trust anyone we didn't know at the stop & maintain distance rather than simply chat from being in the same situation of waiting for a bus.

Reminded me of my own psychotic brother.

"Be nice to one another" ..far simpler.

But ignore my signage you are very likely to meet me wild eyed & angry with a dead certainty that I mean it when I yell **** off, because my politeness & patience had its limit broken years ago.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Better now Gus? :D As I said earlier to Smeagal's question. I have no idea why he left and I'd rather it was that he took umbridge at me or something else than being dead on Hogmanay. :twisted:

I also agree that religion should be avoided on here. I'm a Buddhist myself and if anyone wishes to call Buddha a fat c**t as a final sally into religious discussion then go for it. ;) I'll survive. :lol:
Last edited by Joeboy on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Mr OGB is missing yes.

WE DO NOT NEED POSTS LIKE THIS ON THIS FORUM. :shock:
CAN IT BE DELETED
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No steam in my ears joe (before or after) ..I save it for the rude door knockers :twisted: ;)

However some phrases are a bit like NRA supporting kook politicians who say "now is not a good time to discuss gun control whilst others are grieving" ..the definition for a gun massacre in the states was 4 or more dead / wounded in a gun attack (not including the wounding / killing of the gunman) ..when you tot up the numbers for a typical year it technically happens EVERY DAY meaning no day, no discussion & callous ulterior power move by those whose voting base is gun-ho (intentional pun)

I'm a pussycat until challenged, my wife cannot ever get over how I try to hold the middle ground as devils advocate in stark contrast to my "Scottish genetics" ..berserker rage.

Mostly it's "don't hit that butterfly" perspective from me, I promise you (that & it took me time to write the previous post) ..damn laptop :x

I'll never know how many people were victims of the vicar who bullwhipped me, nor would the church tell me if their were more, which is more than enough reason to have an opinion on religion, without being a zealot, merely aggrieved.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Well Gus, I've got no intention of censoring this or you. Nothing offensive here. Cheers!
P.S I am sorry you had that experience 😔
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thanks joe, zeal is everywhere

Technically, to some eyes, via personally encoutered gridlock experience & media portrayal XR rebellion related threads would be questionable & "too much" for some, I haven't yet seen thread closure on them anywhere, its all easier if we all remember discussion is just that, opinions & information swapping at heart, resulting in knowledge gained, Ive had some rowdy discussions down the pub (perceived as worse in the minds of those who forget im deaf & struggling with that environmental sound output as is) ..but it always remained discussion.

It will be a bad day (for instance) for all when XR type action threads are blanket banned or shut down ((anywhere)) because it further separates us to one clubhouse or another, yet we all doubtless share cross-party interests.

Is XR (by degree of the acts carried out) a type of eco-religion therefore & should it be shut down conversationally? & likewise be able to shut down others who are perceived to knock it? (it may have beneficial tax implications) 😆 ..that's a "who watches the watchers" renewables orientated situation right there.

Just don't answer that one, it is purely hypothetical.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

Quick question

Under the user control panel there is a friends and foe tab.

I was wondering, if I put someone in the foes list will it mean that when I look at a thread it will automatically not display any posts from anyone who is on my "foes" list?

Does it publically show anywhere people that are on friends and foes lists?

Just wondering .....
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Mr Gus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm Thanks joe, zeal is everywhere

Technically, to some eyes, via personally encoutered gridlock experience & media portrayal XR rebellion related threads would be questionable & "too much" for some, I haven't yet seen thread closure on them anywhere, its all easier if we all remember discussion is just that, opinions & information swapping at heart, resulting in knowledge gained, Ive had some rowdy discussions down the pub (perceived as worse in the minds of those who forget im deaf & struggling with that environmental sound output as is) ..but it always remained discussion.

It will be a bad day (for instance) for all when XR type action threads are blanket banned or shut down ((anywhere)) because it further separates us to one clubhouse or another, yet we all doubtless share cross-party interests.

Is XR (by degree of the acts carried out) a type of eco-religion therefore & should it be shut down conversationally? & likewise be able to shut down others who are perceived to knock it? (it may have beneficial tax implications) 😆 ..that's a "who watches the watchers" renewables orientated situation right there.

I have some quite devoted religious types in (married in to) the family, and they initially dropped hints. However when I pointed out that it seemed to me that the Australian Aboriginals had lived in harmony with their environment for tens of thousands of years, while the WASPs had destroyed ours in just 2 thousand they backed off. My question was "why is your creation myth any more valid than theirs?" They had no answer, other than "we KNOW we are right!"
That and 2 "Christening" services, the first when we had a half-hour rant about some ram being born with a dozen horns 3000 years ago - so we know that the predictions are the word of god - and the second when a different celebrant clearly abandoned what she was going to say and ranted on about Jezebel and the arrogance of people who didn't believe what she did! We both nearly walked out, but read our books, ignored it and tried to be polite at the end.

There has been a newspaper article in the last week or two about how Judaeo-Christian philosophy or teaching seems to justify the rape of the planet, I'll try to find it.
This isn't really about religion, or political beliefs, but social and world responsibility. I reckon it has to be challenged (or at least acknowledged) or short-term gain will trump environmental investment every time.
It (doing nothing) is in the news tonight too!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:32 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:39 pm Thanks joe, zeal is everywhere

I have some quite devoted religious types in (married in to) the family, and they initially dropped hints. However when I pointed out that it seemed to me that the Australian Aboriginals had lived in harmony with their environment for tens of thousands of years, while the WASPs had destroyed ours in just 2 thousand they backed off. My question was "why is your creation myth any more valid than theirs?" They had no answer, other than "we KNOW we are right!"
That and 2 "Christening" services, the first when we had a half-hour rant about some ram being born with a dozen horns 3000 years ago - so we know that the predictions are the word of god - and the second when a different celebrant clearly abandoned what she was going to say and ranted on about Jezebel and the arrogance of people who didn't believe what she did! We both nearly walked out, but read our books, ignored it and tried to be polite at the end.

There has been a newspaper article in the last week or two about how Judaeo-Christian philosophy or teaching seems to justify the rape of the planet, I'll try to find it.
This isn't really about religion, or political beliefs, but social and world responsibility. I reckon it has to be challenged (or at least acknowledged) or short-term gain will trump environmental investment every time.
It (doing nothing) is in the news tonight too!
A
The “Australian Aboriginals living in harmony with their environment” thing isn’t true. They brought hunting dogs with them and wiped out countless species of marsupials.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

cojmh wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:31 pm Quick question

Under the user control panel there is a friends and foe tab.

I was wondering, if I put someone in the foes list will it mean that when I look at a thread it will automatically not display any posts from anyone who is on my "foes" list?

Does it publically show anywhere people that are on friends and foes lists?

Just wondering .....
I have no idea, anyone?

Edit, Found this
'What are my Friends and Foes lists?
You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.
How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page.'
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs