An introduction from SW Wales

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Ph.

An introduction from SW Wales

Post by Ph. »

Hi all

Mr Gus wrote;

Welcome PH, if you are planning to stop here awhile then Nowty will be itching to add your power generation potential to the cumulative list. :)

Yes I’m expecting this as I’ve been lurking on this forum since early lockdown, so I know you even if I’m new to you.
I also lurked on ‘St Elsewhere’ quietly joining in 2019 to buy our wind turbine tower.

Off grid since……
Our current power system started life in 2010, highly budget constrained & has brewed & improved since then ;)
Since 2015 or so much of this has been greatly helped by unsolicited advice & inspiration gleaned at the old place :)

Ph.
Off grid cabin
24V 750Ah LA batteries
Approx 3.5kWp solar, various orientations
Hugh Piggott 3f WT approx 1kW
Victron inverters
2015 Zoe
Fintray

Re: An introduction from SW Wales

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum Ph.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

..You are shrouded in mystery sir

My guess is that the PH is "PHantom flan flinger :lol (a true lurker of old)
So I may have to refer to you as phff or similar.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Ph.

Post by Ph. »

Nowty wrote;

‘@Ph. any idea how many kWh your wind turbine generates in an average year ?

The problem with estimating WT's is they are extremely variable depending on location’

My WT generates a modest 750-800kWh/yr, but as ~2/3 of that is Oct-Mar it makes a significant difference.

What do you estimate my solar might be? Then I’ll tell you what it really is!

Ph.
Off grid cabin
24V 750Ah LA batteries
Victron inverters
2015 Zoe
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ph. wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:27 pm Nowty wrote;

‘@Ph. any idea how many kWh your wind turbine generates in an average year ?

The problem with estimating WT's is they are extremely variable depending on location’

My WT generates a modest 750-800kWh/yr, but as ~2/3 of that is Oct-Mar it makes a significant difference.

What do you estimate my solar might be? Then I’ll tell you what it really is!

Ph.
3.5kW in SW wales would be around 3,500 kWh but your sig says various orientations which suggests less than ideal so I will guess 3,000 kWh.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Welcome!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Ph.

Post by Ph. »

Nowty wrote;

“3.5kW in SW wales would be around 3,500 kWh but your sig says various orientations which suggests less than ideal so I will guess 3,000 kWh.”

Not bad, & perhaps we’ll achieve closer in 2023, as an Ash tree causing significant winter shading of one array & having some impact on the others was dismantled in December. Another factor reducing generation is summer curtailment due to not wanting to overheat the house :oops: this is getting less now we have Daisy (the Zoe), & are getting better at using her battery to make space in the house one when she won’t be there to use as a dump.
Yet another may be that ~ 1.5kWp of panels are direct connected which only beats mppt in very poor conditions.

Anyway 2022 was our best year yet for solar @2846kWp with nothing changed since Jan 2020.

Ph.
Off grid cabin
24V 750Ah LA batteries
Victron inverters
2015 Zoe
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ph. wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:57 pm Nowty wrote;

“3.5kW in SW wales would be around 3,500 kWh but your sig says various orientations which suggests less than ideal so I will guess 3,000 kWh.”

Not bad, & perhaps we’ll achieve closer in 2023, as an Ash tree causing significant winter shading of one array & having some impact on the others was dismantled in December. Another factor reducing generation is summer curtailment due to not wanting to overheat the house :oops: this is getting less now we have Daisy (the Zoe), & are getting better at using her battery to make space in the house one when she won’t be there to use as a dump.
Yet another may be that ~ 1.5kWp of panels are direct connected which only beats mppt in very poor conditions.

Anyway 2022 was our best year yet for solar @2846kWp with nothing changed since Jan 2020.

Ph.
I forgot you were offgrid :oops: , or else I would have knocked another few hundred off. :lol:

Part of my system started life offgrid and I used to have significant curtailment in summer. I still do have curtailment at times even now because I cannot have my export limit increased.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3