Hi From Scotland

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Brian S

Hi From Scotland

Post by Brian S »

Hi from central Scotland (Bathgate, West Lothian)👋🏻

Found this forum whilst searching for an installer for Pylontech Batteries in Scotland, looking to invest in 22kWh usable as my calculated daily peak electricity consumption with Octopus on their ‘Go Faster’ tariff coming to an end for me mid-April - in order to avoid paying £245/month extra in Electricity if I do nothing and go from 14.5p/kWh peak to their new ‘Go’ peak rate of 40p/kWh as well as from 5.5p to 12p/kWh off-peak. Moving to the ‘Intelligent’ tariff instead may save a little of that extra but I’d rather invest in Batteries than give it to the greed of the unchecked Wholesalers we’re at ransom to in the UK with these utterly ridiculous energy rates.

I would go for Solar also, but am in a 2 1/2 storey house with a complex roof that face the wrong way, so am told it’s not possible by a couple of installers that have come to estimate. Battery only it is!

Brian.
Joeboy

Re: Hi From Scotland

Post by Joeboy »

Brian S wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:35 pm Hi from central Scotland (Bathgate, West Lothian)👋🏻

Found this forum whilst searching for an installer for Pylontech Batteries in Scotland, looking to invest in 22kWh usable as my calculated daily peak electricity consumption with Octopus on their ‘Go Faster’ tariff coming to an end for me mid-April - in order to avoid paying £245/month extra in Electricity if I do nothing and go from 14.5p/kWh peak to their new ‘Go’ peak rate of 40p/kWh as well as from 5.5p to 12p/kWh off-peak. Moving to the ‘Intelligent’ tariff instead may save a little of that extra but I’d rather invest in Batteries than give it to the greed of the unchecked Wholesalers we’re at ransom to in the UK with these utterly ridiculous energy rates.

I would go for Solar also, but am in a 2 1/2 storey house with a complex roof that face the wrong way, so am told it’s not possible by a couple of installers that have come to estimate. Battery only it is!

Brian.
Hi Brian, welcome to the forum. I'll pm you a link for a central belt installer I used.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Welcome to the forum!
A battery-only install would be a first I think - if you can make it work with the timeshifting alone that's pretty cool.

Would love to know more about your complex roof. Do you have space for ground mount? Or a suitable location for a wind turbine? Any rivers near your property you could drop a hydro turbine into?!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Thanks both.

RE: Roof, we’re in a 2 1/2 Storey house built into a hill, so ground floor with the street at the front and ground floor with the middle floor at the back garden. The 1/2 Storey bit meaning the 3rd floor is built into the roof with dormers to the front and back at one side and including the south facing bit meaning the dormer roof faces east and west and not much flat space anywhere.

Ground mount not possible as rear garden overshadowed as dug into the hill and has a bracing wall at the back as high as the middle floor which then has a 6ft fence atop it. It really is a bit of a clusterfcuk as far as renewables go. Wind - I’ve not seen any good reviews of small Wind turbines as yet and with lots of neighbours I’d be worried about noise complaints also. No Rivers nearby.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum Brian, I'm sure you won't be the only one with a battery only system.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

8 out of the 115 on the secret list are battery only, might be 9 out of 116 soon. ;)
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 384#p29384
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

There are people who have fitted vertical wall.mounted PV. Also seen covered walkways and also fences. Personally I'd try and squeeze some in if at all possible and check with an.installer for the difference in costs to compare with/without the vat break for new installs.

There is something quite outstanding in generating your own.power. I'd investigate all avenues?

Don't dismiss an E/W orientation. You will get less than a S orientation but it is still capable of producing significant volumes of power.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

To give you an idea - front of the house faces south:

nowty

Post by nowty »

A steep but reasonable west facing roof for a small system which may make sense if it saves you £2k on the VAT of the batteries and the hybrid inverter you want.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yes and a south faced array at the top of the retaining wall also looks doable depending on the walls construction method and accessability to the top section.

Welcome Brian,

Moxi