tony saying hello

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
tony

Re: tony saying hello

Post by tony »

Hi Stinsy,

1) I don’t see any solar PV. Did you include it? What was the decision-making here? How would you approach this if you were building now?

I built just before solar PV FiT was introduced but after a few years swapped out one of my solar thermal arrays for PV - so yes I have PV now

2) How does the interseasonal store work? Is the benefit measurable?

I have data for the interseasonal thermal store, there is benefit, my house starts warming up at the end of Feb, see < dlsc.ca > where an interseasonal thermal store provides heating and hot water all year round for over 50 homes in Alberta where it go down to -30C in winter , works better for them as only one store heat loss shaered by them all, my losses are high but it helps.

3) You say you don’t want any “polluting energy appliances”. What are these?

Gas, oil boilers or wood burning appliances

4) You list a whole load of fees/charges you managed to avoid. How did you avoid them?

Optional so don’t join or pay them 🙂
nowty

Post by nowty »

tony, you have a great website about the build, but I could not find how large your thermal stores are.

Any plans for an EV or home batteries to compliment your PV ?
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
tony

Post by tony »

I have had an electric car for 13 years now, first one was on a government trial and had it for three years. Replaced it it with the ssme and that one is 10 years old now, was going to chop it in but now hoping to keep it for 15 years. Also have a second electric car now, generally. Barge useing off peak electricity.

The thermal store is under the house 6.5m boreholes one under each side of the basement, low temperature storage but huge 500m3 dry stone soil plus area of influence

There is a book with a bit more detail, “The Adventures of an Ecobuilder”
tony
Hobbies, energy use reduction
Lives in a very low energy house he designed and built
http://tonyshouse.readinguk.org/
Helps with DraughtBusters
https://readinguk.org/draughtbusters/
Andy

Post by Andy »

tony wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:46 pm There is a book with a bit more detail, “The Adventures of an Ecobuilder”
I couldn't help myself :P Purchased. I might try and apply what you have done to a granny annex one day :P An armageddon retreat in the middle of winter.