Hello from another Lancastrian!

Introductions

Please introduce yourself. This lets other members know who you are, we try to be a friendly community. It also helps to keep the forum free from spam bots by proving you are human (or at least sentient).
Richiep

Hello from another Lancastrian!

Post by Richiep »

Hello to everyone!
I've finally signed up having lurked around for a while. As a complete novice I'm looking for help and guidance from the good people of the forum.
We have planning permission to cover our garage roof in PV panels and to fit some to the rear wall of our house as well (it's a conservation area so anything visible from the street can be troublesome to get passed) and want to max out what we can generate from this.
Currently we have Octopus Go for general use and car charging but aim to switch to air-source for heating and water at some point in the next 12 months. We envisage some kind of set up with a battery (and potentially some kind of dump load if our DNO isn't happy with output) and are slightly overwhelmed by the array of options.
To get the ball rolling could I ask if anyone has used companies like Plug-In Solar? I quite like the idea of a 'turn-key' kit but does this just add a wopping margin to me sourcing kit myself? I think the paperwork etc is rather intimidating. (should I do a separate post about this somewhere else?).
Many thanks in advance
Richard
Fintray

Re: Hello from another Lancastrian!

Post by Fintray »

Welcome to the forum Richard, sorry can't help with the Plug-in Solar query.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stinsy

Re: Hello from another Lancastrian!

Post by Stinsy »

Richiep wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:10 pm Hello to everyone!
I've finally signed up having lurked around for a while. As a complete novice I'm looking for help and guidance from the good people of the forum.
We have planning permission to cover our garage roof in PV panels and to fit some to the rear wall of our house as well (it's a conservation area so anything visible from the street can be troublesome to get passed) and want to max out what we can generate from this.
Currently we have Octopus Go for general use and car charging but aim to switch to air-source for heating and water at some point in the next 12 months. We envisage some kind of set up with a battery (and potentially some kind of dump load if our DNO isn't happy with output) and are slightly overwhelmed by the array of options.
To get the ball rolling could I ask if anyone has used companies like Plug-In Solar? I quite like the idea of a 'turn-key' kit but does this just add a wopping margin to me sourcing kit myself? I think the paperwork etc is rather intimidating. (should I do a separate post about this somewhere else?).
Many thanks in advance
Richard
We have a thread on those devices and the proprietor of the company contributed to it. He was unable to explain how his devices are compliant with the wiring regs (they aren’t).

Here is the thread:

https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=18&t=265
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)