Extending life of stuff

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
openspaceman

Re: Extending life of stuff

Post by openspaceman »

Fintray wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:23 pm Our Dyson let out the magic smoke when I was vacuuming out the fine ash from the wood stove. Stripped it down and it needed a new motor and both filters along with a thorough clean! Now it is like new, wife had been complaining that the brush head wasn't rotating very well, not surprised when I saw the state of the pre-filter.
The gummed up dyson I had had a sticker on it saying not to hoover up fine dust like plaster, took ages to clean all the multifinish out of it. ;)

I find the Henry with HEPA filter bag works best for me.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Yeah,

another Henry fan here, don't like Dyson much or his unwieldy machines.

Bah Humbug. :D .

Desp
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Good on yer Desp - ‘Henry’ (Numatic) are one of the biggest employers locally (Chard) and have just expanded, taking on workers made redundant following Oscar Meyer (ready meal producer) relocating.

Think most of Dyson is manufactured overseas now.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Absolutely BTB

Poland IIRC, not that I have any problem with Polish folk, but offshoring manufacturing is a big problem for our economy.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

openspaceman wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:40 pm
Fintray wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:23 pm Our Dyson let out the magic smoke when I was vacuuming out the fine ash from the wood stove. Stripped it down and it needed a new motor and both filters along with a thorough clean! Now it is like new, wife had been complaining that the brush head wasn't rotating very well, not surprised when I saw the state of the pre-filter.
The gummed up dyson I had had a sticker on it saying not to hoover up fine dust like plaster, took ages to clean all the multifinish out of it. ;)

I find the Henry with HEPA filter bag works best for me.
I think the fine dust creates static and the dust sticks to the inside of the cyclones eventually choking them, but does a great job of sucking it up.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

We are a household of Shark vac's, I try to clean the filters monthly and find them easy to strip right down and fit new bits or repair the old. We have three dogs two cats and three feral kids so the plug in and the battery sharks get a good run for their money - the boss insists on hoovering at least once a day.

If I had saved up all the fur and hair from two years of hoovering we could probably stuffed three or maybe four mattress'!

Most of that being from our retriever lol lovely dog but in constant shedding mode!

oh just for record my mum was brill, dad was the controlling manic personality in the house, but even he had his own trials as a kid and managed as best he could so like JB says we get on and try to correct for our parents where required and try not to make the same mistakes for our kids - funny old world! Its amazing I'm as unstable as I am considering......I could be so much worse :lol:

Moxi
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

We've had a cordless Dyson for a couple of years and have found that the filter at the rear of the thing does clog very quickly, given that we don't use it much, as the amount of dust in the house seems to be reduced a fair bit by the MVHR. Although the filters are washable, I've found they have to be absolutely bone dry after being washed otherwise they stop the thing working. My fix was to buy a couple of spare filters, so we always have a bone dry one ready to use. I also keep them in the airing cupboard, so they stay bone dry. I have a theory that the material the filters are made from may be hygroscopic, perhaps to improve the filtration? Whatever the cause, the cordless Dyson does seem to be very sensitive to the filter being clean.

I still have an ancient Vax wet and dry cleaner we bought in the late 1980's, that's still going strong. Beat of a thing, got relegated to my workshop for sucking up swarf and sawdust for years, then had a second life when building this house to clean up everything and anything. Still works fine, but produces so much heat that we can't use it inside the house, it's like running a fan heater and very quickly overheats the place.

The relatively low heat output is the reason we bought the cordless Dyson. Apart from being cordless I can't say I'm impressed with it, or the way it's built. Lots of niggly little issues that a decent designer should have ironed out before production. Very much a triumph of advertising BS over function, in my view, although it does work OK.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

IMG_20221218_104538884_HDR~4.jpg
IMG_20221218_104538884_HDR~4.jpg (226.52 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
Circlip went on the back of a door handle. Was a Sunday job. Thought I had a spare circlip but sadly not the right size. Drilled out and slit a washer, stuck back together with a blob of weld. Saves driving somewhere to get a circlip, waiting for the post, or, the horror, buying a new handle!

Edit; sorry about the wierdly huge close up. I can only crop to reduce image size on my phone and get it within the forum limit.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

No chance of that failing anytime soon, good fix. :)
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf