Eggs?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mr Gus

Re: Eggs?

Post by Mr Gus »

Moxi wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:00 pm Gents are you not technically cooking coddled eggs :twisted: as you are effectively containerising them ?

Myself, its boiling water, stir circular motion twice and then crack in the egg, visually watch for around two minutes till the white is no longer snotty and then out on to the toast, smack of salt and away we go!

Moxi
Unless the shell is now no longer a shell but a container then no.

What do you estimate your percentile of whites loss is from your methodology Moxi (& doesn't it cause annoyance to have so much white scum hanging around) !?

Context timothy :lol:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

When the flu outbreak caused lockdown here in Devon, I bought a big net to go over our (20mx20m) chicken run. Over the course of the winter 6 chickens have removed every trace of the once long grass. I'm now throwing hay in every week to give them something to kick through and so that it's not all a muddy wasteland. I used to love letting them out of the run each morning and watching them wander up the field and through the gate to the orchard where they'd happily spend the day picking at all the grubs in there. Breaks my heart to see them locked up, even when they have a larger than most run to be in.

I'm going to get some more netting and make netting tunnels from the run to other parts of the garden and field soon to give them a chance to wander further and have a proper scratch around. Yes, the feed is costing more as they don't get to free range for most of their diet like they used to but the eggs, oh dear lord, the eggs are worth it. This year I'm going to experiment with putting the excess in lime water which should keep them fresh for a year or more so that we have a good supply over the winter when the laying tapers off.

Oh and while there will always be rats around the farm, we found switching to a 'Grandpa's' treadle feeder made a big difference. A rat isn't heavy enough to open the treadle but the chickens are. The only food around for the rats are the occasional corn kernels that the girls might miss. Oh and an old freezer in the barn keeps the bags of feed secure, I learned that the hard way after half a pallet of pig feed disappeared one year. Getting that infestation of rats reduced took many nights with a night scope on the air rifle and hours in the dark picking them off.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

SafetyThird wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:07 am When the flu outbreak caused lockdown here in Devon, I bought a big net to go over our (20mx20m) chicken run. Over the course of the winter 6 chickens have removed every trace of the once long grass. I'm now throwing hay in every week to give them something to kick through and so that it's not all a muddy wasteland. I used to love letting them out of the run each morning and watching them wander up the field and through the gate to the orchard where they'd happily spend the day picking at all the grubs in there. Breaks my heart to see them locked up, even when they have a larger than most run to be in.
Hay seems a bit extravagant... our chickens had a (relatively deep) straw yard which kept them entertained. A small handful of wheat thrown in daily and they must have dug it all over several times a day! I used to swap jars of honey with any farmer I saw baling small bales of straw.
Our yard roof was Novolux, so it stayed quite dry... could you put some polythene sheet under the net?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:00 am SWMBO & were out and about on Friday & Saturday in Aberdeenshire countryside and one of my 'things to do' was buy a dozen free range eggs. We didn't see a single 'eggs for sale' sign in about 100 miles of country roads. :cry:
hen lays eggs
hen hatching chicks
endless cycle
just came back from home today
have a day off
Colin Deng
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
guohed070@gmail.com
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Considering how the sun-sail material is 90% sun & very rain deflective (in my very limited experience) how about some of that to limit mud churning from over place, maybe make a gazebo on wheels ( & trot it about a few feet every few hours)
There ought be an alexa grazing app that does this by now to either track the sun or avoid it for gardens or maybe winds in a rope every 90 mins a couple of feet ( water / sand cannisters weighting to deal with wind obviously)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Colin Deng wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:38 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:00 am SWMBO & were out and about on Friday & Saturday in Aberdeenshire countryside and one of my 'things to do' was buy a dozen free range eggs. We didn't see a single 'eggs for sale' sign in about 100 miles of country roads. :cry:
hen lays eggs
hen hatching chicks
endless cycle
have a day off
"Clucky!" [I think that is the Irish description...]
I presume there was a cockerel in with them?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Colin Deng

Post by Colin Deng »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:01 pm
Colin Deng wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:38 pm
hen lays eggs
hen hatching chicks
endless cycle
have a day off
"Clucky!" [I think that is the Irish description...]
I presume there was a cockerel in with them?
A
We'll know when the chicks hatch
usually takes a month
Colin Deng
Battery supplier for battery cells and pack
guohed070@gmail.com
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

Hello,

New here. Nice to find a forum that seems to share my thoughts.

Anyhoo. We have a 7 chucks how keep us in eggs 5-6 per day all year. A couple of things came to me while reading this...

Does anyone else have led lights for their chucks?

I thought you were not supposed to give them hay as it can get stuck in their crop?
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)