Beer recommendations.. What's tickling your buds, bud?

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Mr Gus

Re: Beer recommendations.. What's tickling your buds, bud?

Post by Mr Gus »

A "not for me" deal discount dragon, delivered direct from brewdog itself, so may be of interest to Joe & a few others, missed out on a varied deal a few days ago.

This is 48 x 330 hoppy xmas cans (so you better like pronounced hops) delivered £29.99

https://discountdragon.co.uk/product/bu ... 30ml-cans/

I'm currently brewing St peters brewery product.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Mr Gus wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:43 am A "not for me" deal discount dragon, delivered direct from brewdog itself, so may be of interest to Joe & a few others, missed out on a varied deal a few days ago.

This is 48 x 330 hoppy xmas cans (so you better like pronounced hops) delivered £29.99

https://discountdragon.co.uk/product/bu ... 30ml-cans/

I'm currently brewing St peters brewery product.
Cheers for the heads up, a couple of boxes ordered. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

For when you are passing an Aldi
https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-br ... 8600423906
Sweet, layered flavour, tasty foam.
Please ensure responsible recycling of the fantastic bottle to a brewer or to store your poncey home made oils, vanilla extract etc etc..

(Like I do, being a ponce also)

My go to tonight for this simple salmon, the wife is not a big fan of mustard ( I have a big "new" old style colemans mustard tiger tin to essentially use on my own) so paring this back considerably.

Wife did not like the idea of this until I reasoned with here that every meal she was demolishing my precious hoard of paprika & sugar cornish seasalt seasoning ..of which this pretty much is, just put on before the cook :roll: ...grrr

One for the airfryer Joe ;) (minus the plastic bag, ..do I REALLY need to point that out) !?
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Having banged that salmon out (& regular salmon as a standby) I had back of the mind fears that the amount of salt for this would be overkill like an american "blue box"of mac & cheese.

A. contrary to quick recipe DO NOT pre-salt the fish.
B. only use 50% of the salt I tried the full amount on scraps to check with (having made the full amount) ..way to salty, when finished, chucked it back in the liquid (well it was already cooked to soak up some extra sugar to disguise the sea-salt, it was that or add some maple syrup, & it was smokey enough due to the sweet smoked paprika, which was good, & cheaper ingredient cost to boot.
I tried the incredibly soft salmon (lifting it out of the bag with an aldi (kirkton house) scotch pancake lifter, works well for air fryers, & the liquid was too salty, stuck it in for 3 minutes to crisp up (just because) & left the other in the bag cooked, sliced a morsel off for both of us & threw it back in the bag to soak up sugar.

Hoping to get to the proportions & fine grind of the shop bought pot stuff, so this is my starter for 10 following before adjusting.

Bearing in mind that if you don't buy it from the right place at the right time, a wee pot of paprika salt seasoning can be £1.78 -£3.80 for the same size pot, worth playing around with and tweaking, this stuff gets used on everything, & would even work well on pancakes with / without the eggs & bacon.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

https://discountdragon.co.uk/product/12 ... er-cans-2/

Creamy toffee/vanilla stout from Danish micro-brewers To Øl. Beer52 were punting this at £3.49 a can.
Way past their best before (02/23), but in my experience stouts can go a year past bb easily with no loss of quality. Well worth a go at 42p a can.

Dessert-like beer with creamy, oatmeal cookie, and bittersweet chocolate aromas
Evolves into flavours of light roasted coffee, caramel/toffee, toasted bread, vanilla, and molasses
Roasted malts complement the milky sweetness, resulting in a flavourful and easy-to-drink experience
With lactose & vanilla
ABV 5%

You also may wish to have a punt on this..

There are currently 20+ active beer deals on DD currently, i'm going to top up, note, some are free delivery, others have the £25 gets you free carriage.. best viwed by this dedicated link

https://discountdragon.co.uk/product-category/alcohol

"honestly luv, I'm trying to save the planet by reducing food waste" *cough*
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Last night, kitchen heat got me & I opened a can (2 actually) of Brewdog lost lager, maye being a bitter / stout /ipa/ perry & cider drinker didn't help..

Had high hopes, it touts itself as a renewable, & responsible brew.
Taste was.lost on me after 1/2 a can ..so I made it lager n' lime instead (refreshing, but far from what brewers had intended)

If it was between that & john smiths.. the lost lager & lime would be my choice at a push.
nice hops, clear pronounced taste ..but still lager. ..under 75p per can I wasn't complaining.

Shared a rekorderlig? 4% basil & peach? drink from the fridge which is about 69p per bottle at heron / bm currently, ..ideal light refreshing park picnic chilled drink in the absence of a proper pimms.. recommended if you can get past the label / combination potential, satisfying summer heat drinking & nothing heavy.

Night before last I visited Saltaire brewery's "breadwinner" ..(if you get the opportunity to visit their brew pub, do it) ..bin ends from morrisons at 75p a 500ml bottle) ..nice session strength bottled ale. ..grabbed a few of those. to go with a supper of aoili garlic & butter smashed potatoes, roast chicken (cornish sea salt company blend) & salad ...nice even, slightly subtle taste.

If this weather keeps up I'm prepping 5 litres of pimms using a drop in infusion basket to be decanted as needed 😋
Last edited by Mr Gus on Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Forgot to say, the other week I was in Heron, they are doing the very nice Peroni Gran Riserva Puro Malt 500ml Bottles - £1.25 each instore.

Not my usual but, last time I popped through the tunnel to italy (chamonix tunnel) we stopped at a supermarket & the biers were much cheaper & wider offerings than the usual one size fits all you typically get here

This is brewed by Asahi? & richly flavoured ..don't drink & drive though it's 6.5% alcohol ...won't be there long so use your judgment as to "opening time"

(very satisfying full flavoured beer that can likely cross over without complaint between lager & bitter drinkers without complaint)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

Does anyone make their own beer?
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Yes, via a grainfather (standard size) a spare GF boiler, the usual fermentation buckets (sourced cheap from an online car cleaning company jenny chem) & AEB kegs.for easy movement & party-bility...never found any other kit cheap enough to warrant more s/steel on.wheels.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Tonight was a solid marinaded paneer cube dump curry, another one brewing but malaysian style to see if it works.

To go with that was / is a chilled cocoa beer (dark ale) from hotel chocolat.

Now i've never really got "chocolate notes" whenever mention/ porter in a beer (most regular british chocolate is contemptible anyway) but as this is brewed with cocoa husks i finally got an idea of chocolate ..a very dense solid flavour that doesn't leave your mouth, so nice to counter a curry in essence.

Wife bought it, bit too poncey for me to ever pick up, would likely make a better stout though as it has the right character (but a smaller market)
£2.50 a pop for a 330 ml bottle, made by brewshed (bury st edmunds) 4.7% abv ...wonder how much sacks of husks are ( the factories are within easy driving distance) wouldn't mind trying them out in a grainfather batch & nitrogen fill for a poly-pin.

Oats & chocolate ..mmm
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS