Squirrel problems

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
AE-NMidlands

Re: Squirrel problems

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Apparently the early US settlers, well, by the 1790s anyway, had small "squirrel rifles." They sound good but I guess are still a firearm and subject to much stricter controls than air rifles. And that's if you could even get one!
Well well well... just googled... See https://squirrelhuntingjournal.com/top- ... es-budget/ and dozens of others similar!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Unfortunately, as I indicated earlier, eliminating the little horrors is prohibited by the rest of the family (who actually feed them!)

This shows one of the areas of lead flashing that has been damaged - and yes they appear to have eaten all the lead from that large hole.

Moxi

Post by Moxi »

You can patch solder lead flashing to repair the hole and if the family are stopping the obvious route to remind them then the chilli or Tabasco sauce smeared where they are damaging things will be effective.

Moxi
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

Not that clear from the photograph, but there is damage along the corner where it enters btween the bricks for several feet as well as the obvious large hole. What you can see at the back of the hole is the rubber roof covering. I think it might be easier to just replace the whole piece, or perhaps part of it rather than trying to patch it as it is likely that it will have to be removed to patch it anyway.

I think the chilli/Tabasco option is worth trying, but my main focus is to try and make it imposible for them to get up there - or at least very difficult. That means cutting down yet ore trees, though they ae mainly Ash trees that seem to grow to about 15ft but are still less than 2" diameter on the trunk I normally remove 50-100 per year (mostly smaller) but have been trying to get on round to removing more - a never ending task.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Several years ago I had a squirrel climb the exterior SWA cable going up the wall to my roof and I had several solar cables damaged. It caused the inverter not to start up in wet conditions due to earth leakage.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

.177, diablo pellets and a decent air ram rifle with scope. I've heard that will drop crows and even seagulls at 40yds . Can't stand the greys. Le gris rat est mort. Vive le rouge!!

T'other option for sensitive family nature is a quietly placed steel rat trap on their run. Check it when they're out.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

Squirrel Attack !!

I spent 1.5 hrs this morning chasing a squirrel from under the sets of panels. It kept moving from one panel set to another while I juggled ladders ( on a bungalow ).

It was really resistant to moving away from the panels, until . . . .
Four ladders positioned, including a roof ladder PLUS 4-metres of drain rod as a poking stick.

Finally it realised that there was no safe place under the panels and it shot-off down the garden.

The Fenn Mk4 is baited ( and covered-over ). Ladders at the ready. Waiting . .
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 kW & 4kW Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pumps
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Good luck, last thing you need is a hibernating squirrel under the panels and if it get to liking the cover and the warmth under the panels that's what could happen next. Could you fix up some strops of chicken wire around the panel edges to strop them getting under ? Not worth it if its an odd event but if they are regulars that could be an option ?

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

SporranMcDonald wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:36 pm Squirrel Attack !!

I spent 1.5 hrs this morning chasing a squirrel from under the sets of panels. It kept moving from one panel set to another while I juggled ladders ( on a bungalow ).
It was really resistant to moving away from the panels, until . . . . Four ladders positioned, including a roof ladder PLUS 4-metres of drain rod as a poking stick.
Finally it realised that there was no safe place under the panels and it shot-off down the garden.

The Fenn Mk4 is baited ( and covered-over ). Ladders at the ready. Waiting . .
Would the jet from a hose-pipe have driven it out? Might have worked from just one end, made it miserable and realised not a very effective shelter?
Our squirrels have stopped investigating our Fenn trap in the box on the tree...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

We are very fortunate that we do not have Grey squirrels in this part of Europe.

My saying, “save a tree eat a grey squirrel".

However, we do have these, but our border collie, who permanently lives outside. keeps them away.
Stone Martins and Pine Martin’s.

I see ‘Joeboy’ is speaking French?