AI & RE

If there is a foul wind a blowin' then drop by for a chat - about coconuts of anything else off topic.
Joeboy

AI & RE

Post by Joeboy »

BBC article, this grabbed my attention.

"I interviewed Prof Kate Crawford from the University of Southern California for the BBC’s Tech Life podcast, and she told me that worrying about the amount of electricity, energy and water required to power AI kept her awake at night.

Dr Sasha Luccioni from the machine-learning firm Hugging Face is also concerned.

“There’s simply not enough renewable energy to power AI right now – most of that bubble is fuelled by oil and gas,” she says."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4nglq80w7eo
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Re: AI & RE

Post by dan_b »

Same issues/concerns regarding the energy consumption required for cryptocurrencies and the mining of them.
Seems like we can't help but keep shooting ourselves in the foot.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Maybe the AI will step in and solve the problem by eliminating the competition for the energy and keep it all for the AI's use, I believe Arnold Schwarzenegger did a series of dramatic reconstructions in the 80's 90's and 2000's about just such an event :lol:

Leaving the room.............

Moxi
AGT

Post by AGT »

Saw the second one the other week, and how young the ‘new terminator was looking’ my son watches a series called Scorpion and he was the old FBI agent, looked to be in his 60’s now!